Say YES to guard pulling and all guard subs (for wrestlers)

S.D.Force

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Funny all of these threads are popping up by guard pullers, and BJJ purists.....

Well, i'm here to tell everybody that i have recently sworn to try and pull guard on every damn one of my opponents in practice. As a former State Championship qualifying wrestler, I am usually the attacker and guard passer. People always try to pull guard on me. And thus, i haven't developed a very good guard, or many good guard subs. My triangle isn't that good, my arm bars aren't either. And my sweeps are sub standard.

So now I will play the bottom game until i excel at it....Yes, you may pass my guard, but as soon as i regain composure and escape....I swear to pull guard once again and go for a triangle or butterfly sweep, etc......And now YOU will expend copious amounts of energy and be frustrated trying to pass my guard. And for those that i know will try and pull guard on me.....I will now do it FIRST!!!! You guard pullers will NOT beat me to the punch and you will be forced to play the top game while i practice on the bottom for once.

We don't need more Koala bears man.

Don't pull guard from standup. You'll just develop a bad habit.

Get the takedown, get position and win.

However, if you practice by starting on your knees, then pull guard.

hahaha...."koala bears"!.....From now on that will be my nickname and motto in life.... the human Koala Bear.......I shall worship the great Koala Bear as my new all powerful inspirational life force.

Good decision you'll end up much better because of it.. Suprising you could sit your ego aside and decide to try and perfect your guard game. Even though I hate nothing more than pulling guard it'll help your game out tons. However as you know I am sure never do it in a competition.

When I started training at my current gym I was like I am now I like getting top position better, passing the guard, going for a sub. But I just could not get used to starting from the knees couldn't get the "takedown" for shit from the knees. We have some Judo BBs some good Wrestlers so my guard got really good, now no average grappler can come near passing my guard.. Good thing is though now I can take most of the guys down except for the really good wrestlers we have National Champions ect.

Funny thing is just because my guard is so damn good alot of people think I just wanna pull guard and work from there. LOL

That's cool. Pull guard on the kness in fine. But not in standup, that's just silly.

I remember in an interview with Royce that the only reason he is in guard a lot back in the early UFC was because he was put there. He never intentionally pull guard like a lot of BJJers nowadays. In my school there are a lot of ppl who intentionally pull guard and I feel like that wasn't what intentionally was used for. I guess jj has changed a lot now because of the sport scene.

PS. I don't remember which interview

My school doesn't train to pull guard when starting on your feet...we are taught that you should only pull guard if you're taken down. Since guard is the best of the worse positions imo. Though I've fought people from other schools in tournaments and after one failed takedown attempt against me, they automatically pull guard....or worse, some don't even bother with a takedown attempt.

Ugh. I totally disagree with this. Sorry. Although the guard is technically a neutral position, IMO, it still is just not a good thing to be on the bottom. The guard gives you a better chance of defending yourself from the bottom, but I just think that the guard should remain a fallback position. If you want to bring a fight to the ground, learn how to properly take someone down. If someone shoots in on you, SPRAWL! By all means, get good from your guard, because you might end up having to use it, but if you're a grappler, stick with using takedowns. Why even take the risk of having your guard passed?

Gaurd a neutral position???...whaaaat?.....tell that to all those poor fuckers who got subbed, but thought they were winning cuz they were on top.

I dont care what most of yall say, I feel very comfortable in my gaurd, its one of my best positions, and it doesnt matter to me if the guy is throwing strikes....I actually like it better....I can get a lot of stuff much easier that way.

Ill pull gaurd anywhere and any damn time I wanna.

How can you disagree with his reasoning? He is talking about training here... he's putting himself in a position that he wants to get better at. I assume that come tournament time he's going to use his advantage as a great wrestler and take them down, but when training it is a good idea to pull guard if you need work on it.

S.D.Force said:
hahaha...."koala bears"!.....From now on that will be my nickname and motto in life.... the human Koala Bear.......I shall worship the great Koala Bear as my new all powerful inspirational life force.

I agree 100%

Ybot said:
How can you disagree with his reasoning? He is talking about training here... he's putting himself in a position that he wants to get better at. I assume that come tournament time he's going to use his advantage as a great wrestler and take them down, but when training it is a good idea to pull guard if you need work on it.

exactly....you need to feel COMFORTABLE on your back come competition time. Being proficient with guard subs and sweeps isn't enough. Actually i'm not too bad at them, but my natural instinct as soon as i get on my back right now is panic. Especially if i didn't want to be there and somebody unexpetedly put me there very quickly. If i am the one deciding that i want to be on the bottom then i don't really freak out. But of course if you're rolling competitively, you're first instict can't be one of initial panic if you ultimately want to be successful. You have to accept it as part of the whole experience and not fear it. So to desensitize yourself to that position is important. Probably more so than being really good at subs and sweeps.

I'd say he is safe to guard train. He went to state in wrestling after all. He obviously is strong at takedowns and in the rest of his game...

;)

S.D.Force said:
Funny all of these threads are popping up by guard pullers, and BJJ purists.....

Well, i'm here to tell everybody that i have recently sworn to try and pull guard on every damn one of my opponents in practice. As a former State Championship qualifying wrestler, I am usually the attacker and guard passer. People always try to pull guard on me. And thus, i haven't developed a very good guard, or many good guard subs. My triangle isn't that good, my arm bars aren't either. And my sweeps are sub standard.

So now I will play the bottom game until i excel at it....Yes, you may pass my guard, but as soon as i regain composure and escape....I swear to pull guard once again and go for a triangle or butterfly sweep, etc......And now YOU will expend copious amounts of energy and be frustrated trying to pass my guard. And for those that i know will try and pull guard on me.....I will now do it FIRST!!!! You guard pullers will NOT beat me to the punch and you will be forced to play the top game while i practice on the bottom for once.

i know what you're saying. i used to work top position all of hte time. i don't the bset takedowns, but i am bigger than a lot of people and could usually make them work the guard. i started working my guard game on purpose and it really balanced me out.

on the top you mainly can just work guard passing unless your good at leg locks (which i am now). But besides the leg locks there really isn't much to practice on until you pass the guard. There is FAR more stuff to work on from the bottom.....half guard, butterfly, half/butterfly, cross guard, full guard, x guard, etc. along with all the sweeps and subs that go with them, as well as trying to keep from getting the guard passed.

Far more opportunities to improve your game on the bottom. And if you are on the bottom with a good guard guy, and you can't pass, then have fun defending the whole time.

great idea man, ive met too many wrestlers with great top games and shitty guards...good thinkin to attack your weakpoints.

the only thing i dont agree on is there is just as much shit to learn from top as from bottom. every guard variation has a different counter/way to pass and defend.

All i do is pull guard, nothing else, in competition, training, whatever, my sweeps and subs are really good from guard too, thus, my top game and passing guard just suck compared to my guard.....im lookin to join a Judo school so i can have takedowns with the gi and good pins and top position...

Nothing worng with practicing, keep it up.
Just dont lose your takedown ability, I HATE watchng a subgrappler fight in MMA and not be able to get or keep his opponent down, it drives me crazy.

TwIsTeD&BrOkEn:
Gaurd a neutral position???...whaaaat?.....tell that to all those poor fuckers who got subbed, but thought they were winning cuz they were on top.
Tell THAT to Fedor.

By the way pulling guard causes cancer.

Back