Opinion Saudi Prince MBS planning on a 1600 foot high 75 mile long building

giphy.gif

They havin’ a good ol time out there

Interesting that there's no hijab on the flying chick on their website.
Makes me wonder whom exactly they envisage living in this city.
They are definitely trying to position themselves as the leaders of the Muslim world, to the point of stamping on international Muslim groups elsewhere. They have the obvious advantages there.
Could be they are trying for a broader appeal though.
NEOM is poised to be Saudi Arabia's Dubai, it will have its own legislative system... There are murmurs about Alcohol being allowed there too.

It's essentially there to attract foreigners and tourism to boost the economy when the oil runs out.

NEOM is poised to be Saudi Arabia's Dubai, it will have its own legislative system... There are murmurs about Alcohol being allowed there too.

It's essentially there to attract foreigners and tourism to boost the economy when the oil runs out.

Interesting idea, although it's hard to imagine an international city of 9 million in Saudi Arabia regardless (admittedly they aren't hoping for that until 2045). Guess they are taking that "If you build it, they will come" mantra to heart.

Reactions: PEB
Interesting idea, although it's hard to image an international city of 9 million in Saudi Arabia regardless (admittedly they aren't hoping for that until 2045). Guess they are taking that "If you build it, they will come" mantra to heart.
They are rushing it from what I've seen, this project is only a single part of the NEOM project, which contains other cities and industrial complexes.

They want people to move in by 2024... Yeah..

MBS taking after the GEOTUS

wall-donald-trump.gif

Looks a bit claustrophobic.

When I heard of the concept initially I didn't imagine it to be so cramped (and not on ground level).

This seems dystopian...Maybe they are intentionally going for the Cyberpunk aesthetic

They are already balls deep in construction if you check Google Earth... I hope this isn't rushed, feels like it's prone to disasters

Tbf if it's anything like the impressions then it sounds like it could offer a lot of solutions to the environmental issues caused by over population, but it seems ambitious to me.

Hoping to be proven wrong.

This somewhat reminds me of the Kowloon Walled City. I can see crime being rampant in high population density zones.

And gas is like 2 bucks a gallon there. UAE keeps winning at life.

How about turn Saudi arabia into a Forest or a very green area? Turn the Desert into a beautiful garden.

Maybe invest in next gen power? Nope ,1600 feet-150 stories, 75 mile long stupid ass building....
Rumor is that the largest dairy farm in the world is in the middle of the Saudi desert. They simply turned the sand into a green spot and have cows there. That's a lot of desalination.

Well, while Saudis had long years talked about their interest in nuclear energy...
I think it isn't suitable for them cos cooling via towers isn't best solution for their climate....and ...cooling systems without towers for reasonable price.. requires a lot of water and are suitable for cold or at least not too warm climate areas ....

While....solar power potential Saudi Arabia does have really damn huge + different techniques might be used: tower+ mirrors systems to create steam.
Next solution: pv panels....
Thrid: collectors to create steam ....
During Biden's talk with the press after his MBS meeting, he said both countries are committed to green energy, including nuclear.

Interesting that there's no hijab on the flying chick on their website.
Makes me wonder whom exactly they envisage living in this city.
They are definitely trying to position themselves as the leaders of the Muslim world, to the point of stamping on international Muslim groups elsewhere. They have the obvious advantages there.
Could be they are trying for a broader appeal though.
The plan for NEOM will be that it's has a little bit of autonomy. That way, the laws won't be as strict as they are in the rest of the country. After all, for it to work, you need to recruit people from all over the world to work there.

It will not be unlike the walled off communities in the eastern part of the country where the western oil families live and work.

I had read that the universities they will open in NEOM will be co-ed and not segregated

chances of this being built are 0% (if not -100%)

maaaaaybe they build 1% of it and call it a day - ain't no way they build the whole thing for 9million people (they're all racist as fuck in Saudi Arabia, where are they going to find 9 million people anyway.. they hate brown people, they hate blacks, they hate white people (americans), they basically hate everyone not saudi)
this is just more bullshit futuristic PR from arab world that got nothing to do with real life.

won't lie, if i had unlimited funds, i'd probably do some dystopian shit like that too.
it will make for a really interesting ruin
just like much of these middle east high towers.

The plan for NEOM will be that it's has a little bit of autonomy. That way, the laws won't be as strict as they are in the rest of the country. After all, for it to work, you need to recruit people from all over the world to work there.

It will not be unlike the walled off communities in the eastern part of the country where the western oil families live and work.

I had read that the universities they will open in NEOM will be co-ed and not segregated

I can't fault them for trying to diversify their economy.
I'm just extremely cynical about their ability to pull off such a massive, autocratic development. Let alone have it inhabitable within 2 years.
Interesting if they intend to have a more liberal justice system to encourage growth and development. That's basically an admission that their current system has been seriously hampering it.
Still, I wouldn't peg MBS as that progressive, given the financed export of salafism and his authoritarian and autocratic response to indigenous malcontents.

MBS and all his fancy mega projects will never see the light of day. NY Times had an article on that new city state they're building NEOM, it's just a bunch of Western expats bilking the Saudis and then skipping town without any deliverables. MBS is a moron.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back