Sanshou exhibition match

Odium said:
It looks nice, but if it was a exhibition match then I guess the allow eachother to get more stuff done?

I was wondering if that was the case too. But I also suspect that the tendency to kick has something to do with all the takedowns. From here we could get into the argument of 'if they worked on thier takedown defense and didn't kick so much then they would do better'.

But that would essentially make it more like MMA and Judo. The whole reason I'd like to try something like that is for the action of it. The fun of it. That mat looked pretty thick and it would be awesome to say, "Okay dude. We're going to kick and stuff, but suplex if you catch it, do a suplex, hiptoss or something. Keep the action coming. Lets not spend the entire time circling each other..."

And then just go for it. Not for the MMA applicability, but for grins and giggles...

aaron you do ITF TKD? Thats awesome stuff man. I myself also trained and competed ITF for awhile...more like 7 years lol. Very underrated and great martial art! Anywho, I love San Shou and Shootboxing a ton. Its far better than muay Thai will ever be. I also love that suplex. I have seen some real nice ones hit in Shootboxing. Suplex is one beautiful move, like the holy grail of stand up throws if you ask me.

Masakatsu Funaki #1 said:
aaron you do ITF TKD? Thats awesome stuff man. I myself also trained and competed ITF for awhile...more like 7 years lol. Very underrated and great martial art! Anywho, I love San Shou and Shootboxing a ton. Its far better than muay Thai will ever be. I also love that suplex. I have seen some real nice ones hit in Shootboxing. Suplex is one beautiful move, like the holy grail of stand up throws if you ask me.

Heh heh...

Not too many of us ITF guys around anymore. I can't actually say, "I compete in ITF" anymore since it basically means I'm sparring with my buddies! But as I was watching those San Shou guys I kept thinking that these guys kick a lot like ITF guys. I could almost believe I was watching an ITF exhibition had it not been for the throws.

And the throws seemed to fit right in. I've been taking Sambo for about a year now and I'm going to try to convince some of my ITF buddies to spar like that on a wrestling mat. Two of them were some sort of district champions in wrestling back in highschool. They'll wipe the floor with me. But it looked like so much fun. A different way to mix it up.

Of course we're all mid 30s now. And not middle-aged in the same way as guys like Bas and Couture who fricken stay in shape as their main job. We probably won't be able to walk the next day.

It is so sad...

Back