Sanshou exhibition match

I like that spinning scissors takedown from side kick. I only know of one Sanda fighter in MMA, Volk Atajev, and he does mostly SAMBO I think.

I forgot the name of the fighter but there is a popular Asian fighter who has this style. He perfected the flying scissor takedown.

^He is in K1 btw & sometimes hosts specific Sanshou ruless in matches.

Cung Li is pretty much the grand pooba of this style. You can see his mark on both of these guys.

I'd be pretty interested to train a bit in this style as well. The takedowns are so explosive and athlitic. Be a good addition to anyone's arsenal.

Yeh it looks really cool. Those suplexes are awesome.

:icon_twis I'm proud to train this style

I notice how few people in my country(belgium) do sanda/sanshou
and how few do MMA while I believe that a sanshou base with some bjj and additional boxing is great for MMA

Maybe it's because sanshou is the free fighting from wushu?

Thanks for the link.

That looks like fun. I wouldn't mind trying that. Those guys are in great shape. Good kickers as well. I was really impressed with their flexibility and transitions.

ballie said:
Maybe it's because sanshou is the free fighting from wushu?

It actually has little to do with wushu. Sanda was developed by the Chinese government, I think around WW2 or a little after it, for their army. In theory and on paper it's a MMA because it borrows techniques from many styles including Sambo, Muay Thai and Chinese Wrestling.

San Shou is the safer more watered down version used in friendly military tournaments held to keep the Red Guard fit and their minds occupied in times of peace. I think it struggles to pick up popularity because it's relatively new in the west and has to compete with tried and tested styles like Muay Thai and Judo. It's neither a striking style nor a takedown style and really reminds me of that old saying "A jack of all trades is a master of none".

TapDG said:
Your thinking of Cung Li..that guy is a Bad ass
find his site...

I heard he's gonna go MMA this yera...

could be interesting...

the guy also wrestled in highschool so he must have some groundskill as well...

Chief108

chief108 said:
find his site...

I heard he's gonna go MMA this yera...

could be interesting...

the guy also wrestled in highschool so he must have some groundskill as well...

Chief108

If he does that would be great..I think he'll get owned though..Hes the master of San Shou..should just stay there and wait for someone to take his belt

SS is the shit! :D

That was a good fight. Pope is a fucking awesome SS fighter and Duncan has improved by about 150%.

AgentZ said:
It actually has little to do with wushu. Sanda was developed by the Chinese government, I think around WW2 or a little after it, for their army. In theory and on paper it's a MMA because it borrows techniques from many styles including Sambo, Muay Thai and Chinese Wrestling.

San Shou is the safer more watered down version used in friendly military tournaments held to keep the Red Guard fit and their minds occupied in times of peace. I think it struggles to pick up popularity because it's relatively new in the west and has to compete with tried and tested styles like Muay Thai and Judo. It's neither a striking style nor a takedown style and really reminds me of that old saying "A jack of all trades is a master of none".

Those guys might have been jack of all trades...but they were damn good at kicks at least. I've done ITF TKD for over 20 years and those guys were quite impressive in kicking. And, to me anyway, their takedown skills looked slick.

aaron_mag said:
Those guys might have been jack of all trades...but they were damn good at kicks at least. I've done ITF TKD for over 20 years and those guys were quite impressive in kicking. And, to me anyway, their takedown skills looked slick.
I'm a judoka and I agree their throws/takedowns were excellent.

... more throws than you see in a judo match .....

It looks nice, but if it was a exhibition match then I guess the allow eachother to get more stuff done?

Pretty sick suplex there.

It's fun to watch those special rules K-1 events with Chong Li (name?)

Back