Sandbags!

Jumpingknees

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi Sherdoggers....just dropping in. I am a kinesiologist and I run a personal training business. Unfortunately I usually get sucked into the drama, name calling, and sometimes hilarious commentary on the main board but I really like the Strength and Power discussion board.

I have been using sandbags with my clients for the last 6-months and have seen some pretty awesome results. Just wondering if you guys have ever trained using sandbags before?

Anyway, please feel free to respond.

Very popular around here. I love my sandbag.

Exclusively sandbags? I'm interested in hearing your own/your clients specific results from this.
Do any of them grapple or do any sort of combat sport?

Exclusively sandbags? I'm interested in hearing your own/your clients specific results from this.
Do any of them grapple or do any sort of combat sport?

No, not exclusively....I have been subbing them for a lot of power movements as well as conditioning work....ie stairs and hill climbs.

I have a a variety of athletes and just regular clients but I do work with a Muay thai guy and a ju-jitsu competitor.

I have a big sandbag at home, for me it's one of the best exercises (apart from strength-training) i know. Well, except sparring/real fighting, of course.

It has to be one of the must fun tools i've ever worked with, the possibilities to design your training are just endless, and after all fun is an important part of keeping you training. Like many people i have to sometimes force myself to go to the gym as there is other stuff I prefer do to, but I'm always looking forward to the bag work.

P.s. This might be some translation-issue (not a native english speaker ;) ) but aren't kinesiologists some guys that hold your hand, ask you some questions about what's wrong with your body and from the reflexes of your hand "diagnose" what's wrong with you? In other words, some new-age-hippie-bullcrap (no offense :icon_chee )?
Because i can't see how working with a sandbag would fit into that, so is kinesiology something different in the US than it is over here (europe) ?

Though i might be biased here, only seen one kinesiologist so far (hey it was free ;) ). I had 1 year of human biology at the university and I knew more about the human body than that guy did even though he had a diploma and i quit after that one year ;)

I use sandbag to warm up for my yard training, rocks, tire flips, rope pulls etc.

I only have a 50kg bag so when I get a heavier one I'll propably use it differently.

I like this complex, it gets you warm alright.
firemans carry around the lot follow'd by squats, walking lounges, bentower row and swings. Mine is an old Norvegian navy duffel so it has a handle in the midle, its good "snatching". Thou I try to use the canvas as much as possible, kinda the point, I guess.

I used my sandbag to bench press yesterday for the first time and it was fun. Like a lot of people I have trouble getting motivated for bench and stopped doing it with a barbell about a year ago, but doing it with a sandbag is definitely something I can see me sticking with. Only problem I had was gripping the bag in a way that didn't shorten the range of motion much, but I think having to have a closer grip mostly made up for it. Also have to start with the bag on your chest instead of at lockout like you can with a barbell.

I have a big sandbag at home, for me it's one of the best exercises (apart from strength-training) i know. Well, except sparring/real fighting, of course.

It has to be one of the must fun tools i've ever worked with, the possibilities to design your training are just endless, and after all fun is an important part of keeping you training. Like many people i have to sometimes force myself to go to the gym as there is other stuff I prefer do to, but I'm always looking forward to the bag work.

P.s. This might be some translation-issue (not a native english speaker ;) ) but aren't kinesiologists some guys that hold your hand, ask you some questions about what's wrong with your body and from the reflexes of your hand "diagnose" what's wrong with you? In other words, some new-age-hippie-bullcrap (no offense :icon_chee )?
Because i can't see how working with a sandbag would fit into that, so is kinesiology something different in the US than it is over here (europe) ?

Though i might be biased here, only seen one kinesiologist so far (hey it was free ;) ). I had 1 year of human biology at the university and I knew more about the human body than that guy did even though he had a diploma and i quit after that one year ;)

Kinesiology is the science of human movement, Applied Kinesiology is the alternative medicine thing where they hold your hand.

Yes, i use one, It's amazing I have 2 cargo bags filled with sand and there heavy as hell lol, which is good and there also awkward which again is great.

I love using my sandbag for carrying and throwing exercises in particular. I recently got an idea from a Zach Even-Esh article in Tapout Magazine to use it in a circuit/medley: walk 100 meters with it overhead, then 100 meters with it on your shoulder, then 100 meters either bearhugging or zercher carrying it. I'll probably try it out later in the week.

I love my sandbags. I do complexes, flips (this is a great conditioner that replicates log flipping, one of my other favorites), over the shoulder tosses, and get ups.

Ummm....no, I'm not the hand holding type who tries to discern your circadian rythyms by looking deeply into your eyes and asking you about bowel movments. That was funny though. Perhaps I'll call myself a Strength and Conditioning coach from now on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back