Sandbags vs. Water Kegs?

sprawl&brawl

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Which do you guys think is better? Sandbags or Kegs for un-stable lifting. One more thing. Is this lifting necessarily better than lifting a simple barbell?

Not better, but certainly different.

I would say a sandbag myself.

Kegs are a pain to make heavy enough.

Without actualy having worked with neither (perhaps that mean I should shut up..), I say that kegs "advantage" is that they are more cumbersome in form and constitute more of an "odd lift". While sandbags are a bitch on your grip. On both the weight "moves" which would be the bigest benefit with them.
The sandbags bigest benefit over a keg is that you certainly can do -much- more excersices with them.

Personaly I find keg training to look fun and interesting. But I have not come that far that im looking for materials quite yet. Sandbags however im going to construct as soon as I am healthy from the flu..

You cant say which is "better" barbel or odd lifts, for instance a sandbag would work your stabilising muscles better, and be more of an grip workout, while you can move -more weight- with a barbel which certainly can be a benefit.

sandbags are better for overall S&C for grapplers due to the movements that can be done. Kegs are more for explosive power than anything else.

I like my sandbag better than my keg. and no, they're not better than a barbell... they're different.

sandbags are better for overall S&C for grapplers due to the movements that can be done. Kegs are more for explosive power than anything else.

Good point

The key to a good sandbag is using heavy duty trashbags to bag the sand prior to putting it into the canvas military style duffle. I advise double bagging with the toughest non gimmicky trash bags you can get.

If you are looking at odd lifts you could also try tyre (tire) flipping, farmers walks, stone lifts. I have been incorperating this type of lift into my training for a while now and I am enjoying the challenge.

No, not trash bags. thick ziplock bags. fill the bag 3/4 full and duct tape the end. then, put it inside another bag, and duct tape the end of that one. the usualy thickness of a ziplock bag is something like .03mm. try to get the thicker ones, .07 or so. and, dont lift by the handles on your bag. chances are, theyll break and youll back-hand yourself.

U cannot see using ziplock bags. The only thim I'm putting in a ziplock bag and measure in grams, and it ain't sand chief.

Unless you mean Boggle Timer type sand...that's some real good sand.

howabout he bag the sand comes in? not adjustable but strong and heavy.

contractors trash bags are very heavy duty and work great if you double them. Zip lock back are ok for smaller bags but for 200lbs of sand just use the contractors bags and save time.

You can find lifts to do with a sandbag BY MAKING ONE AND LIFTING IT YOU DIRTY BITCH!

CarnalSalvation said:
You can find lifts to do with a sandbag BY MAKING ONE AND LIFTING IT YOU DIRTY BITCH!

This sounds bad but it's true. Really once you get the bag going, you'll just run into different exercises to do. Say like picking a person up from the ground and bombing said person. Or maybe picking it up and walking with it for a bit. Stuff like that.

I perfer sandbags however, i think both have their place. In my experience they work alot of the smaller muscles that are not used in regular barbell lifts. I happen to think using the sandbag has helped alot in my wrestling training.

Sandbags hurt a lot less than kegs when you accidentally bang um against your shins and I find sandbags more fun (picking em up and bombing em down)

Well unless you are a monster (Carnal) that can lift 200+ lb sandbags with ease....

I would go with ziplocks which can have 10 lbs of sand in each.

It'll take time to make around 15 but its worth it. You can use them to do weighted chinups / dips.

I have abused the shit out of my sandbag and nothing has broke or spilled yet. No messes to clean up.

Back