• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Same sex marriage vote in Australia.

squeezewax

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Finally it's over, the results were announced today.
61% for same sex marriage.
39% against.

Most of the 'yes' people assumed they'd get at least 70% leading up to today. Thats around 5 million on the 'no' side, quite a lot of people.

I've always been for gay rights but i ended up voting no! Of course i knew the 'yes' campaign would win but i changed from yes to no.
The reason was because of the left. They intimidated, bullied, and even assaulted many people who said they'd vote 'no.' When this happened the media said little about it too.
Even businesses were threatened in some cases.
Even tho' i knew my protest vote wouldn't change things it made me feel good. I'm for same sex marriage and i knew it would get thru'.
A lot of people just got sick of the bullying.

Now some people are saying that this will open up society to many problems, things that have happened in many places that have gay marriage already.
They are sure, and i agree, that in the near future muslims will now demand that polygamy be lawful.
Already there are some schools teaching very young kiddies that homosexuality is fine and so is transgender, etc. They believe it will become nationwide in the future.
I have no problem with this other than the ages of the kids[6, 7, 8] that all this is being taught to. It's just far too young imo.

It still hasn't been decided by politicians who will be exempt when it comes to people NOT wanting to provide a service supporting gay marriage. Bakers, florists, etc.
Currently in Tasmania there are 3 clergymen being taken to court for stating they are against gay marriage and not wanting to be part of a ceremony. I bet if a muslim cleric refuses that will be kept quiet.
Although i am an atheist i have no qualms about a Christian saying no to gay marriage and refusing services. They would be a hypocrite if they said yes to it. People should expect them to be for gay marriage.

Personally I have no problem with homosexuality, it's always been in society and always will be, and gays should have the same rights as everyone else.

Let em get married and half will regret getting what they asked for, cynical me says

Gay marriage has got to be one of the most ridiculously overblown non-issues of our time.

I've always been for gay rights but i ended up voting no! Of course i knew the 'yes' campaign would win but i changed from yes to no.
The reason was because of the left. They intimidated, bullied, and even assaulted many people who said they'd vote 'no.

so you voted no on basic human right issue just out of spite ?
great line of reasoning there buddy
you being butthurt cause of the "left" makes you no better than those idiots

Even tho' i knew my protest vote wouldn't change things it made me feel good. I'm for same sex marriage and i knew it would get thru'.

yeah, brexit voters also thought voting yes wouldnt have an impact on results, and look where that got them
voting opposite of your actual views (unless you indeed are a homophobe) and counting on other votes for the agenda to go through is retarded

I voted no. I just think we are putting to much focus on gender issues.

Our kids are falling behind in maths and science because people are concerned with genitals and ethnicity. It's ridiculous.

Why is our nation promoting same sex marriage when we have declining birth rates??

If you want to be gay, then be gay, I couldn't give a rats ass. but ffs, why do we need to promote it? It's the last thing we should be doing..

Now to actually make it law and get on with governing.

Should have been done years ago.

I've always been pro gay marriage. I'm just anti-gay divorce.

Marriage should be privatized and the state should have no say whether gay people or heterosexual people (adults) are getting married.

Australia since the time of priscilla queen of the desert has had a strong homosexual culture that thrives in sydney.

Im not surprised they voted overwhelmingly yes.

Our kids are falling behind in maths and science because people are concerned with genitals and ethnicity. It's ridiculous.

Absolutely this. The West is disappearing up it's own arse focusing on non issues whilst we don't even reproduce enough to replace ourselves.

You know I think people might respect your no vote if it wasn't based on such petty reasoning .

I voted no. I just think we are putting to much focus on gender issues.

Why is our nation promoting same sex marriage when we have declining birth rates??

how does same sex marriage affect birth rates ? will number of gays suddenly increase due to gay marriage being legal ? will australian kids suddenly be even worse at math and science ?
you sound like one of those uneducated fear mongering morons spreading misinformation

If you want to be gay, then be gay, I couldn't give a rats ass. but ffs, why do we need to promote it? It's the last thing we should be doing..

first of all how do you even promote gayness and to whom exactly ? you are either gay or straight - people who are straight generally stay that way and dont suddenly switch camps just cause gay marriage is suddenly legal

and legalizing same sex marriage isnt promoting anything other than tolerance and equal rights among sexes/sexual orientations

if you dont like gay marriage, then go live in some muslim shit hole and see if their kids are any better at math and science on the count of lesbian/gay oppression - at least you will enjoy being surrounded by high birth rates

Good on them... also choosing to deny people equal rights out of spite is a pretty scumbag thing to do TS

Back