Sambo vs BJJ

Well, that is hard to answer since I have only had minor BJJ and judo experience. It all depended on how I wanted to improve my game and what I felt was lacking in my BJJ. I don't want to use sterotypes of BJJ, sambo, or judo to answer that question...since there are definite individual differences between clubs.

I can tell you that many BJJ guys come to my club looking for what one would expect...throws and leg locks...and striking. But over time they see that we offer much more than that. In other words, what brings them in the door is not always what keeps them at the club. It oftentimes becomes more about appreciation for our approach to training, than particular techniques.

Regarding judo and sambo, obviously much of the throwing is the same, but sambo does have some gripping and tactical differences. I also think sambo emphasizes follw up on the ground after a throw more that olympic style judo. But, it all depends on the coach as well. Obviously, sambo will focus on the legs more than judo..so that is one clear difference.

I would say also, that most likely, one will get a different training environment in sambo as opposed to judo...less formality and maybe a bit more of casual utilitarian, but "hard knocks" approach...similar to wrestling.

In the end, I would see what the coach and particular club can offer me.

Steve, so if sambo and judo are the same why it says that sambo consist of grappling styles of different nations of former Soviet Union?

Steve, so if sambo and judo are the same why it says that sambo consist of grappling styles of different nations of former Soviet Union?

I was told from a judo and sambo instructor that sambo is dirty judo. I liked that and made me feel like joinin.

I think he meant that there was too much holding judo back and I think I agree.

Judo is gonna die fast it seems imo.

I don't think they are the same and I am not sure how you got that from my post. But, that is not what you asked me anyway. You asked why a BJJ guy would cross train with sambo over judo. That is the question I answered.

You said you have done both, so what's you opinion? What would you tell a BJJ looking to cross train?

I don't think they are the same. I am not sure how you got that from my post. But, that is not what you asked me anyway. You asked why a BJJ guy would supplenet with sambo over judo. That is the question I answered.

You said you have done both, so what's you opinion? What would you tell a BJJ looking to cross train?

Either.:)

I with you Q. I really hate these style vs style threads...I gotta stop posting on them.

My advice to anyone is:

1) Train what works for you and what you enjoy.

2) Spend less time on the computer and more time on the mat.

3) And, for God's sake, stop talking about stuff you know nothing about.

I was told from a judo and sambo instructor that sambo is dirty judo. I liked that and made me feel like joinin.

I think he meant that there was too much holding judo back and I think I agree.

Judo is gonna die fast it seems imo.

Um, Judo is the most popular martial art in the world......... just not the US

I don't think they are the same and I am not sure how you got that from my post. But, that is not what you asked me anyway. You asked why a BJJ guy would cross train with sambo over judo. That is the question I answered.

That wasn't me Steve

Back