Sambo vs BJJ

zheka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It seems that BJJ is more popular in MMA world than sambo. Is it becouse BJJ is easer to learn? or BJJ is more effective than sambo? What are the major differencec between the two styles?

It seems that BJJ is more popular in MMA world than sambo. Is it becouse BJJ is easer to learn? or BJJ is more effective than sambo? What are the major differencec between the two styles?

Sambo is more like MMA, while BJJ is grappling.

Where do you get this from? Sambo is a mix of Judo and various wrestling styles. It is grappling, with a jacket no less, like BJJ,

If your talking about combat sambo, which ia a newer incarnation, BJJ has had Vale Tudo as part of its system as well.

They are more similar than not, Strategy, rules and theory are what sets them both apart. Sambo is leg lock heavy as opposed to BJJ. Neither are any more MMA than wrestling as far as I know.

According to wikipedia there are 5 kinds of Sambo:
* Sport Sambo (Borba Sambo) is stylistically similar to amateur wrestling or Judo. The competition is similar to Judo, but with some differences in rules, protocol, and uniform. For example, in contrast with Judo, Sambo allows all types of leg locks, while not allowing chokeholds.[4]
* Self-defense Sambo, which is similar to Aikijutsu, jujutsu or Aikido, and is based on self-defense application, such as defending against attacks by both armed and unarmed attackers. Many practitioners consider Self-Defense Sambo as part of Combat Sambo and not a system unto itself.
* Combat Sambo (Russian: Боевое Самбо, Boyevoye Sambo). Utilized and developed for the military, combat sambo includes practice with weapons, including disarming techniques. Competition in combat sambo resembles older forms of judo and modern mixed martial arts, including extensive forms of striking and grappling. The first FIAS World Sambo Championships were held in 2001.
* Special Sambo - developed for Army Special Forces and Rapid Reaction Police (Militsija) teams and other law enforcement formations. The "Special Sambo" version differ from team to team due to different tasks and aims, however the base of any special system developed in that field is of course Sambo. The term "Special Sambo" is a relatively new term which refers to specialized versions of combat sambo.
* Freestyle Sambo - Uniquely American Set of competitive sambo rules created by the American Sambo Association (ASA) in 2004. These rules differ from traditional sport sambo in that they allow choke holds and other submissions from combat sambo that are not permitted in sport sambo. Freestyle Sambo, like all sambo, focuses on throwing skill and fast ground work. No strikes are permitted in Freestyle Sambo. The ASA created this rule set in order to encourage non-sambo practitioners from judo and jujutsu to participate in sambo events.

I would think BJJ is easier to learn in the sense that you are more likely to be able to find a qualified instructor. Other than that it seems like you are comparing apples to oranges.

SAMBO is hughly popular in the former Soviet Union. It's getting more popular in the west(namely thanks to increased marketability via Fedor raping BJJ God Nogueira), but wasn't as popular earlier probably due to the Cold War. Also, the Gracies are geniuses at marketing.

Combat SAMBO is like MMA. Sport SAMBO is pure submission grappling.

BJJ is easier to find good instruction. Also remember the UFC was created for the sole purpose of marketing BJJ, so BJJ has a good lead in the market with regards to popularity and # of places state side to train.

Unless you live in Russia or perhaps some of the old Soviet bloc states, it's very hard to find even a decent sambo instructor. If you can find a judo coach from Russia there's a 99% chance they'll know sambo well, but otherwise its a long shot.

If you live in NY, we have plenty of Sambo schools.

Sambo Steve will help you out.

But yeah, Sambo is not really that easy to find outside of big metropolitan areas.

Glad I live here, though. I intend to train Sambo starting th is year, hopefully.

Jesus, search function people. this thread has been repeated many times..

No, I wish I did. Sorry.

Learning both bjj and sambo, and both from competent teachers (my sambo coach was the USA sambo team coach a few years back and placed second in the pan ams I believe back in the day) I must say that bjj seems to be more technical. A bjj player focuses 90% of their time (or even 100% of the time in some cases) while sambo seems to be a lot more like judo. There are pins in sambo, and leg locks seem to be stressed, but it seems to me like it is a lot more attribute oriented and working with body control than the methodical working for a submission of bjj.

I don't know I've found few schools in US and Canada

http://combatsambo.com/

http://www.combatsambo.ca/index.htm

Maybe in Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver. They're pretty hard to find in most of Canada. There are judo coaches (Mark Berger in Manitoba ... ex member of Soviet national judo team, Fedor Lazarenko in Sask etc) who are very good at sambo, but they generally are more interested in developing olympic athletes for judo than teaching sambo. Which is too bad, because I like what I've seen of sambo.

They are totally different as a strategy- sambo is about judo/wrestling takedown and quick submission.
The entire concept is build on that and from there the time limit of the matches, rules and etc.

Honestly, I think it has much to do with the fact that a Mr. Royce Gracie dominated the early UFC's!
If some similar sized Russian Sambo fighter won the early UFC's.. Sambo would be much more popular than it is now..

Sambo, BJJ, and Judo are all related to each other, they have common roots to Jiu Jitsu. I personally think there is overlap with the exception of the different rules in copetition.

I dont have the exact quote, but Fedor was once asked if he trained in BJJ. He answered no.
But I paraprase. "Sambo is no worse than BJJ, but we are familiar with their techniques."

That being said, were BJJ has over Sambo in the U.S. is that they have had a better influence in the US through a combination of good marketing and a broad number of instructors who have come from Brazil.

Sambo should be naturally sought by Judoka's and western style wrestlers, problem is there are not many instructors. And I can only think of Sambo Steve making an organzied effort to spread the sport in the U.S. . To a limited extent, I could say the Hayastan guys(Gokor) from LA(Karo Pariyisan), but Gokor is primarily interested in spreading his own personal system.

And unfortunately, we had the Cold War, disputes between the Olympic wrestling body vrs the Russian governing body (FIAS V. FILA). The Judo establishment frowns on Sambo and doesnt see as a natural extension. USA wrestling has dropped Sambo(Sombo) from one of its sponsored wrestling forms because they dont know how to market it.

If it wasnt for Fedor, a few Sambist from Russia and Japan, Sambo would be an obscure sport secluded to Russia and the ex-Soviet Union.:icon_sad:

Honestly, I think it has much to do with the fact that a Mr. Royce Gracie dominated the early UFC's!
If some similar sized Russian Sambo fighter won the early UFC's.. Sambo would be much more popular than it is now..

Oleg Taktarov did, but wasn't as impressive or as dominant as Royce.... not too mention he got KO'd by Renzo while Renzo was on his back, lol

Back