Sambo? The next BJJ?

Mitsuyo Maeda was mma goat before fedor and he was a judo guy....
Arguably his teachings lead to bjj tho I guess
Edit: I'm starting to feel bad defending these other arts against bjj when the primary basis of my grappling is bjj haha

Last edited:
BJJ had a solid base in Brazil but it really took off with Royce Gracie's string of victories in UFC. It just happened that Grand Pa Gracie and his sons were pretty busy at night as well so they spreaded their fighting science all over the world pretty succesfully.

Though I would not imagine anything that big, do you think that solid performances by Nurmi and other high level Sambo guys from the Easter front in the UFC and Bellator could all of a sudden create some kind of a wave in countries exposed to MMA down the road?

I know that timing and marketing are also key in spreading a martial, as well as a few charismatic figures.

Other than Russians and athletes from the former Russian block, are there that many guys that are known to train sambo pretty hard in MMA today?

Can you see Sambo as a full substitute for BJJ?

Though Fedor's fist got the job done most of the time, he was a pretty tough cat to handle on the ground given his smaller size at heavy weight.

You really do not understand what combat sambo is if you're asking this question. Sambo is the blending of Judo, and Folkstyle wrestling, and the more effective parts of other grappling marital arts. It's base is in strength and force. Not finesse and countering like bjj.

Fucking white belts man. I know everyone starts there but I know I didn't make stupid threads let alone even posts as stupid as this.

It's almost a guarantee at this point that something as stupid as a thread titled "Sambo? The next BJJ?" would be created by a white belt. One can only assume that either the person is someone who got banned, maybe they're a new fan and doesn't know any better or they're just ignorant.

You don't have to be a white belt to be ignorant though as evidenced by these forums time and time again seeing some peoples' uber biased predictions, bets, posts, etc.

Fucking white belts man. I know everyone starts there but I know I didn't make stupid threads let alone even posts as stupid as this.

It's almost a guarantee at this point that something as stupid as a thread titled "Sambo? The next BJJ?" would be created by a white belt. One can only assume that either the person is someone who got banned, maybe they're a new fan and doesn't know any better or they're just ignorant.

You don't have to be a white belt to be ignorant though as evidenced by these forums time and time again seeing some peoples' uber biased predictions, bets, posts, etc.

April 2013?

BJJ rules over all other grappling arts.

Source: grappling competition where sambo/wrestling/judo guys get smashed.

Wtf are you talking about ... They all have their strengths and bjj guys can get out grappled .. Did hughes not out grapple gracie? Did fedor not out grapple nog?

Wtf are you talking about ... They all have their strengths and bjj guys can get out grappled .. Did hughes not out grapple gracie? Did fedor not out grapple nog?

fedor did not out grapple nog, he beat the shit out of him, although the second fight was very competitive...

arona beat fedor (yeah he beat him everyone whos got 1 single eye couldve seen it) werdum subed him, and bigfoot took him to bjj school, so bad that after that fight, he changed his mind about not wanting to train bjj because sambo was "superior",he called vinny to train with him...

and sambo will never ever have the same effect bjj did, hell no single MA will, because now, if you wanna get into mma, you just go to a MMA school, period.

Hughes was very proficient in BJJ by the time he fought Royce. And Fedor has always been more of a judo than a sambo guy, contrary to popular belief, but there's no doubt he's trained in BJJ as well.

The late Rolls Gracie was a smart man. A BJJ phenom that trained in Greco Roman and Freestyle Wrestling, Judo and Sambo. I train in Judo and BJJ. Judo for the throws and pins, and BJJ for the guard, sweeps and fluid game. But I know there are arts out there that are masters of their craft. I train Wrestling for the nice leg and clinch takedowns and Sambo for the vicious leg locks and unorthodox grips.

Be smart kids, be well rounded. All the arts have something to offer and they have something unique

Back