Sambo? The next BJJ?

LamaIronFist

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
BJJ had a solid base in Brazil but it really took off with Royce Gracie's string of victories in UFC. It just happened that Grand Pa Gracie and his sons were pretty busy at night as well so they spreaded their fighting science all over the world pretty succesfully.

Though I would not imagine anything that big, do you think that solid performances by Nurmi and other high level Sambo guys from the Easter front in the UFC and Bellator could all of a sudden create some kind of a wave in countries exposed to MMA down the road?

I know that timing and marketing are also key in spreading a martial, as well as a few charismatic figures.

Other than Russians and athletes from the former Russian block, are there that many guys that are known to train sambo pretty hard in MMA today?

Can you see Sambo as a full substitute for BJJ?

Though Fedor's fist got the job done most of the time, he was a pretty tough cat to handle on the ground given his smaller size at heavy weight.

The only way is no way. Do not confine yourself to the arbitrary limitations of style.

Bruce Lee understood this 50 fucking years ago, and people still don't get it. The evolution in grapplign isn't towards sambo, it's to getting better at everything, and not caring what the hell you call it.

The only way is no way. Do not confine yourself to the arbitrary limitations of style.

Bruce Lee understood this 50 fucking years ago, and people still don't get it. The evolution in grapplign isn't towards sambo, it's to getting better at everything, and not caring what the hell you call it.

/thread

Goddamn I always wanted to do that.

BJJ rules over all other grappling arts.

Source: grappling competition where sambo/wrestling/judo guys get smashed.

Sambo has always been king.

Fedor-The-Last-Emperor.jpg

Bravo.

traditional SAMBO has ZERO guard play, no chokes and only straight limb submissions (so no kimuras).

This means that all pure SAMBO fighters have to cross train in BJJ and usually wrestling as the khurka means they are used to jacket clinch grappling as opposed to the wrestling seen in MMA.

traditional SAMBO has ZERO guard play, no chokes and only straight limb submissions (so no kimuras).

This means that all pure SAMBO fighters have to cross train in BJJ and usually wrestling as the khurka means they are used to jacket clinch grappling as opposed to the wrestling seen in MMA.

Are you sure about no kimuras in Sambo? I remember seeing a rolling inverted omoplata that is basically a kimura/americana.

... do you think that solid performances by Nurmi and other high level Sambo guys from the Easter front in the UFC and Bellator could all of a sudden create some kind of a wave in countries exposed to MMA down the road?

I am sure that it will influence some to train Sambo. But I don't believe it is the next BJJ. BJJ is getting EXTREMELY popular. If you do not believe me go to a local NABJJ tournament, there isn't enough room to watch your buddy compete sometimes, tons of people, tons of old timers and new comers. Sambo may pick up but it will take a while if it does. I don't even know of a place I could go to practice Sambo on the west coast (I would like to try it).

Other than Russians and athletes from the former Russian block, are there that many guys that are known to train sambo pretty hard in MMA today?

Not sure if he is Russian but Amir Sadollah trains Sambo. Also Nick Diaz Trains Sambo as well as BJJ and even has a Sambo coach.

". Diaz started training in Sambo at the age of 16 under a Bulgarian National Sambo Champion Val Ignatov.[2] In his recent interview with Ariel Helwani, Diaz stated that he still trains Sambo under the same coach hence the reason his ground game is different from other MMA fighters that only train in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Diaz -IT's wikepedia but I remember seeing this on the countdown Video b4 bj penn

It didn't get more popular during Fedor's reign so I doubt a guy almost nobody's ever heard of picking up a few wins is gonna be the thing that propels the sport.

BJJ rules over all other grappling arts.

Source: grappling competition where sambo/wrestling/judo guys get smashed.

Yea, but in MMA, BJJ credentials can go right out the window. We've seen AD champs who did very well and some who crashed too.

There are judo and sambo guys who have been every bit as elite in MMA as the elite BJJ guys.
Obviously, they have to train everything to succeed, and be able to adapt their base discipline for MMA (very important). On top of that, they have to have excellent S&C, which is more demanding for MMA than grappling competition.
Roger Gracie had Kennedy exactly where he needed him.

As for Sambo, those guys train in boxing/kickboxing, they train with BJJ guys, and they also have to have excellent S&C to succeed in MMA.

Back