SAMBO mambo

Gsoares2***

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Alls i have to say is wow! Today at BJJ a guy came in who has been training in russia for the last 6 years, every summer. His leg lock game was so amazing it was whole new game, Same technqiues that put me in a good position for the positional game left me wide open for leg locks. This guy was schooling me so bad and i was having so much fun because of it. Really gave me a better respect for the sambo sport. I was very impressed with his transitions from sweeps, and turning bad positions into set ups for heal hooks. I would escape the heal hook and end up in knee bars. The guy had it all covered... just thought i would jump on here and blabber about the leg techniques i was so impressed by.

Bjj has the same leg techniques but they are just so neglected due to the injurys they cause. Also the fact that if you taught legs to beginners they would neglect the positional game and never try passing the guard. There was just a thread about this...

For all of you that have sambo gyms around you and have been slightly interested DO IT, this guys game was unorthdoxed to me because ive never trained with someone who is so good at it.... truely a site to see and feel.

cant find a Smabo gym to save my life but would love to learn some of those Leg Locks

I'd freakin love to crosstrain in Sambo. The guy trained, in Russia? Had to be one tough mofo; those guys train hard. Gsoares2, seems like you have the perfect attitude man. Nice to see in these parts.

Vladislav Koulikov has some decent DVDs out that are worth your time if you are interested in sambo.

Cool That you have a open mind to other arts . Sambo has a killer system of leg locks and other leg subs .

I would like to train sambo to! sounds wicked :)

but you say the guy trained sambo for 6 years in russia!! did you train BJJ in rio de janeiro for 6 years? :D

forget mauy thay and bjj, learn sanshou and sambo

villasenor said:
forget mauy thay and bjj, learn sanshou and sambo

Nothing is wrong with Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

I would love to train Sambo someday though. I have no experience with leg locks of any sort.

we have a russian guy that spent 12years doing sambo. He is damn good! He submits you if you get his back! crazy.

Actually there r only 4 main leglocks aren't there? Toe hold, Heel hook, Archilles lock and Knee bar. Then things like Bicep Slicer or calve Slicer I hav never seen them in any MMA matches.Do comment

sambo is great from what i hear but the guy you are talking about has been training for 6 years now i'm gonna assume you haven't been training bjj for nearly that long so try rolling with a bjj guy that has 6 years of training and he'll most likely be tapping you just as easy as the sambo guy did so its not necessarily his style thats making the difference he has just been training longer

alexgncw said:
sambo is great from what i hear but the guy you are talking about has been training for 6 years now i'm gonna assume you haven't been training bjj for nearly that long so try rolling with a bjj guy that has 6 years of training and he'll most likely be tapping you just as easy as the sambo guy did so its not necessarily his style thats making the difference he has just been training longer
Not necessarily true, Sombo (ive been training 4 years now btw) has one hell of a lot of leglocks and they are given a LOT of emphasis in training. As a result I've found that I can tap guys who are overall much better in their ground game than I am if i use leglocks.

The only problem is they're so deeply ingrained that I keep doing them while doing Judo randori. Still its great to see the look on someones fce when you perform a kneebar from half guard and they have'nt even got a clue what you just did.

The only sambo instructor i know says they dont do much leg locks at all, and from what i hear on sherdog, leg locks are all sambo practitioners do...

Not necessarily true, Sombo (ive been training 4 years now btw) has one hell of a lot of leglocks and they are given a LOT of emphasis in training. As a result I've found that I can tap guys who are overall much better in their ground game than I am if i use leglocks.

Well that can be said of submission guys who grapple good wrestlers just getting into submissions.
You will find that they are more experienced in a part of grappling and have much more mat time many times but they are exposed to subs due to being unaware of being set up. Same can be said of leg locks, even IF you have BJJ exp many times legs attacks are not trained therfore not practiced and next thing ya know you have been set up and walked right into a heel hook or other leg attack...

thecas said:
Actually there r only 4 main leglocks aren't there? Toe hold, Heel hook, Archilles lock and Knee bar. Then things like Bicep Slicer or calve Slicer I hav never seen them in any MMA matches.Do comment

ivan menjivar recently submitted someone with a calf slicer in mma

it's not very usual though, and didnt saku pulla calf slicer off also??

An old video of Sergei (the Russian in Pride) was posted in sherdog where he was submitted with what I think was a calf-slicer.

Calf slicer is so painfull anyone who doesnt tap... wont be walking any time soon.

thecas said:

Yeah, but there are only so many submissions as well. When you learn new moves in grappling, it's not really learning new ways to submit someone. Yes, new submissions get invented, but there are only so many body parts to attack. When you learn new moves, you're really just learning new positions and set-ups.

Back