SAMBO gets provisional Olympic recognition!

Since when a Sherdog poster represents the opinion of every BJJ athlete out there?
Top level athletes will compete anywhere they think they can win medals, money and recognition.
If UWW Grappling become Olympic sport, there will be a carnage to win a spot in each category in the nationals for all teams.
People really underestimate the logistics and government subsidies of Olympic sports...
Here is another prediction:
If BJJ or UWW Grappling becomes Olympic, the top spots in all categories will be dominated by East Europe, Russia and the Stans, within 2 Olympic cycles.
The only reason they are not at the moment is exactly, because they dont give a shit at the moment.
Once its a state sponsored event...
"Since when a Sherdog poster represents the opinion of every BJJ athlete out there?"
Of course. yetanother was correct in his assessment that most elite bjj guys did not compete in UWW Grappling. Most, but not all. That would obviously change if it became an Olympic sport. There were a few big names in there. And of course Liborio was heavily involved.

"Here is another prediction:
If BJJ or UWW Grappling becomes Olympic, the top spots in all categories will be dominated by East Europe, Russia and the Stans, within 2 Olympic cycles.
The only reason they are not at the moment is exactly, because they dont give a shit at the moment.
Once its a state sponsored event"

This would be an enormous shift in the current combat sports landscape if it were to occur. And while Im not sure I agree, it would be fun to see the fallout. I think it'd be hard to overtake the Brazilians and Americans. When wrestlers enter the submission arena they almost always have to undergo a period of transition and experience a change in approach. They are so used to being physically dominant they are usually caught off guard by the fact that they cant always muscle out of a submission or avoid them entirely. The subtleties of Bjj are just so very different to wrestling. I do however agree that the overall athletic ability and grappling prowess of Russian/Eastern European wrestlers would eventually lend itself to incredible submission grappling skills if they stick with it. And of course, I agree that the proposition of Olympic medals will draw the very best grapplers in the world.

And that is what Sherdog posters dont understand- country like Kazakhstan, Mongolia or Armenia will be medaling big time within 2 Olympic cycles.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the wrestling heavy nations would count more than countries with larger but not elite bjj scene. I trained with the UAE bjj team and for all the money they are putting in it they would get murdered by high level wrestlers with year or so of training.

Getting back to the sambo discussion, what makes this proposition (sambo in the Games) so interesting to me is we already know that sambo enjoys participation from some of the very best wrestlers and (especially) judokas in the world already. If it became an Olympic sport we may see multi-sport medalists in the same games.

"Since when a Sherdog poster represents the opinion of every BJJ athlete out there?"
Of course. yetanother was correct in his assessment that most elite bjj guys did not compete in UWW Grappling. Most, but not all. That would obviously change if it became an Olympic sport. There were a few big names in there. And of course Liborio was heavily involved.

"Here is another prediction:
Once its a state sponsored event"

This would be an enormous shift in the current combat sports landscape if it were to occur. And while Im not sure I agree, it would be fun to see the fallout. I think it'd be hard to overtake the Brazilians and Americans. When wrestlers enter the submission arena they almost always have to undergo a period of transition and experience a change in approach. They are so used to being physically dominant they are usually caught off guard by the fact that they cant always muscle out of a submission or avoid them entirely. The subtleties of Bjj are just so very different to wrestling. I do however agree that the overall athletic ability and grappling prowess of Russian/Eastern European wrestlers would eventually lend itself to incredible submission grappling skills if they stick with it. And of course, I agree that the proposition of Olympic medals will draw the very best grapplers in the world.
The possibility of Russia, East Europe and the Stans top athletes entering in the submission grappling competitions were discussed here before, although, by people not so familiar with the situation in those countries.
First, people must understand, that the coaching approach to any sport will be detailed understanding of the rule set, followed by analysis of the most common outcomes and then building strategies for NATIONAL teams (we have a board of the best coaches in the country, plus contacting foreign talent involved at this point).
The physical preparation is obviously on teh side of the countries, stated above.
The training methodology as well (I pick specifically my team to train BJJ in Brazil, based on the training methodology knowledge of the coach here).
The submission game is there as well, but not on the same level, hence I predict 2 Olympic cycles (8 years).
I am fully aware that the predominant opinion on Sherdog is based on very 1 sided view (mainly from USA) of the capability of the athletes.
And its not the first time I have made predictions like this and you can imagine the result :D
Last time I said SAMBO will be an Olympic sport within 2 Olympic cycles...

Getting back to the sambo discussion, what makes this proposition (sambo in the Games) so interesting to me is we already know that sambo enjoys participation from some of the very best wrestlers and (especially) judokas in the world already. If it became an Olympic sport we may see multi-sport medalists in the same games.
And THIS is what I am really looking forward to see.
We already have bunch of people who medal equal in Judo and Sambo in Bulgaria (namely, a guy in 82 kg with the same name as mine :D).

If gi BJJ was in the olympics do you think the Brazillians would stop being a force in the 2nd olympic cycle?
Interestingly, if you look at the Brazilians that compete(d) in UWW grappling, they did considerably better in the go competitions than in no gi. And to your original comment, I certainly agree that most elite Bjj guys did not compete in FILA/UWW, quite a few IBJJF champions and medalists did at least try it.

Interestingly, if you look at the Brazilians that compete(d) in UWW grappling, they did considerably better in the go competitions than in no gi. And to your original comment, I certainly agree that most elite Bjj guys did not compete in FILA/UWW, quite a few IBJJF champions and medalists did at least try it.
I believe Miyao did and he medalled, just to be stripped after for steroids violation (which is another issue to be considered :) ).
Olympic steroid testing program is no joke.

Who competed at UWW? I remember Miyaos (one got dq'ed for being suspended) did and from I heard they didn't even give a shit about reading the rules and where giving up huge points at the start of matches.

Who competed at UWW? I remember Miyaos (one got dq'ed for being suspended) did and from I heard they didn't even give a shit about reading the rules and where giving up huge points at the start of matches.
Another point to be made here- IF BJJ makes it to the Olympics, there is no way it will be with any of the rule sets, used at the moment.
The matches will be 5 min tops and the rule set will have restarts.

And THIS is what I am really looking forward to see.
We already have bunch of people who medal equal in Judo and Sambo in Bulgaria (namely, a guy in 82 kg with the same name as mine :D).
I posted a while back in some thread all of the competitors from sambo worlds that have world/Olympic medals in judo and wrestling (mostly judo). It was a lengthy list. Even an Olympic gold medalist or 2.

I am interested in what this might mean for MMA. Can you see any benefits in either direction between olympic athletes and MMA athletes?

I posted a while back in some thread all of the competitors from sambo worlds that have world/Olympic medals in judo and wrestling (mostly judo). It was a lengthy list. Even an Olympic gold medalist or 2.
Indeed.
The Mongolian national team has Olympic judo medalists, who also won SAMBO worlds and I know they also train wrestling.
Quick example, Ono (JAP) has been upping his submission game with Aoki for quite some time now.
How long do you think it will take him to adjust to BJJ?

We dont need Sambo in Olympics even at provisional level. We already have greco, FS, and Judo.

I am interested in what this might mean for MMA. Can you see any benefits in either direction between olympic athletes and MMA athletes?
Here is another twist:
Combat Sambo is maybe the closest thing to MMA, to have national, continental and world championships on amateur level...

We dont need Sambo in Olympics even at provisional level. We already have greco, FS, and Judo.
The agenda has been pushed by FIAS for 40 years now.
Its in.
There are only benefits for the sport from now on.

IQuick example, Ono (JAP) has been upping his submission game with Aoki for quite some time now.
How long do you think it will take him to adjust to BJJ?

Submission aren't the deciding factor in BJJ. Ono would need passes, back takes and sweep for BJJ.

Last edited:
Submission aren't the deciding factor in BJJ. Ono would passes, back takes and sweep for BJJ.
Ono would do anything, that secures him a win, after very detailed study of his opponents.
At this point, its useless to have discussions of what his game plan would be.

Ono would do anything, that secures him a win, after very detailed study of his opponents.
At this point, its useless to have discussions of what his game plan would be.

Sure especially considering that it's likely a best plan for him would be to learn stuff that actually is good in the rule set rather try do something he already can that's a bad fit.

I remember looking into this and the bigger names that I recognized were:
Bruno Bastos
Rodrigo Madeiros
Marcos Oliveira
Gabriel Kitober

There may have been others but these guys are probably the most accomplished Bjj'ers to participate.

I remember looking into this and the bigger names that I recognized were:
Bruno Bastos
Rodrigo Madeiros
Marcos Oliveira
Gabriel Kitober

There may have been others but these guys are probably the most accomplished Bjj'ers to participate.

None of them are truly elite. I would guess the Miyaos would beat them all.

Back