Salut To Irish Boxers

bostonmma

Gold Belt
Reaction score
I'm sitting here at my cube with my Green John Duddy T shirt on. With that, let's get a tribute to past and present Irish boxers. They always are aggressive and fan friendly.

Andy Lee, 16-0 only 23, he is a tall middleweight with very good power. Is trained by Emanuel Stewart and is a future champ in the making, don't miss his fight against Brandon Vera on espn2 this friday http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=344849&cat=boxer

John Duddy, 24-0, 28, the most popular fighter who isn't a heavyweight or an Olympian, he draws huge crowds on both sides of the Atlantic and would have gotten a title shot if he didn't get cut in his last fight. Though he doesn't have the fastest hands, he is a non stop action fighter and always leaves his fans happy http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=213891&cat=boxer

James Moore 15-0, 30, quickly gaining popularity in NYC, headlined the big St Paddys day card this weekend winning a war against the veteran JC Candello. http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=323046&cat=boxer

Bernard Dunne 24-1, 28, gained fame very early in his career as he had a lot of fights on ESPN2 and Shobox. He came forward and had some power for being a featherweight but had a suspect chin, that chin took quite a hit in his last fight when he got knocked out in the first round. Dunne looks to rebound and has his comeback fight next month. http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=81166&cat=boxer

Great thread Idea Today !

Nobody does it better than the Irish !

Trivia: Did U know ?

great work boston

a little late but i'm going to salute steve collins and wayne mccullough .

collins apart from mike tyson is the reason i'm a boxing fan

steve was trained by freddie roach and won the middle weight wbo title in 1993 , but he is better known for stepping up to super middle weight and beating the previously unbeaten Chris Ebuank for the wbo super middle weight title and defending it against eubank in front of nearly 40,000 people in cork . Collins hired a witch doctor before the eubank and told eubank that he had cursed him and that he would never beat an irish man .

steve defended his title 7 times including 2 knock out wins over nigel been , and is rated as one of the best super middle weights ever

Andy Lee is the best Irish prospect there is IMO, Duddy soaks up too many punches.

Love Dunne, he will be back. Showed inexperience when he got knocked out; should have clinched instead of swinging wildly. He is a cocky fucker but the Irish are not used to that so its a welcome change to hear a bit of smack.

Collins freaking Eubank out was great. He claimed he was going to be hypnotized to be invincible and walked into the ring like a zombie. It was dead cool and all a spoof lol; check it out if you aint seen it.

Anyone watched Southpaw? http://www.amazon.com/Southpaw-Francis-Barrett/dp/B00005KH2V Great documentary about Francis Barrett (Olympic boxer from Galway). Its a great film which is both funny and sad at the same time. Francis was a traveler (gypsie) who fought in the Olympics and through that gained the keys to his hometown (Galway City)

It was a big thing because he was the first traveler to be accepted by the "normal" folks of the city (lot of prejudice against the gypsies all over Ireland); people came out in their thousands for his homecoming. You have to see the guy training in a crap shed with the wind and rain getting in; pure rocky shit.

His trainer was a pure clown.

Good thread TS.

Paul McCloskey is another irish prospect , he's 15-0 and from derry .

he's a real classy boxer who uses his speed and feet he knocked out former european champion Tontcho Tontchev who fought Yuri Romanov in the summer last year .

he beat the though mexican Manuel Garnica in his last fight ND he looks like HE'LL BE FIGHTING FOR A EUROPEAN TITLE in the next few months

he's fighting former lw champion Cesar Bazan in his next fight which will be his toughest fight so far , and should show what level he's at .

Never felt the Irish fighter thing. Not a fan of Duddy at all.

Lee looks like he can go though.

what about the likes of Micky Ward

the whole irish thing is that they love to fight and love to brawl and are though as nails

Yeah, I get it....and I don't really like it. I like my fighters to show skills, along with the heart. I get the stereotype surrounding the Irish, but it's old hat for me.

And no, I didn't like fighters like Mickey Ward. He was simple.

i actually agree with you i'm not a big fan of the wild strikers either to be honest .

i love the irish heart though take steve collins , wayne McCullough . I'd much prefer if duddy fought like he did against howard eastman , were he actually used his hands instead of his head to defend the punches .

but you got to love an irish fighter who will never give up and will fight till the end . i known i keep going on about mccullough , but his fights against moreles when he pushed him closer than he'd ever been pushed him and took every thing morles had to through at him and kept coming when 99.9 % of fighters would of hit the deck or given up .

i mean at the time morleas had knocked out the last 10 fighters who tried to take his title .

same goes for mccullough vs Oscar Larios were everyone had written McCullough off as finished and passed it and said he wouldn't last 3 rounds , and he nearly won .

mcculoough makes he so proud to be irish who else has fought morleas ,naseem hamed , scott harrison and oscar larios and never hit the deck once .

what about the likes of Micky Ward

the whole irish thing is that they love to fight and love to brawl and are though as nails

And drink, don' forget drink. Forgetting about drinking is bad craic. Aye!

Tam,
how about Barry McGuigan?

man i totally forgot about barry .

one thing about barry mcGuigan is that he was bigger than boxing , he brought ireland together when the troubles were at it'd peck . He was born in the republic but he had a british passport too , and was loved by both nationalists and loyalists

Tam,
how about Barry McGuigan?

Did like McGuigan. He was in some good fights. His loss to Cruz is one of the best fights I've ever seen.

Couldn't stand a bar of Steve Collins and McCullough, while brave, was simple...yet he was a humble guy. You had to like him.

James Moore 15-0, 30, quickly gaining popularity in NYC, headlined the big St Paddys day card this weekend winning a war against the veteran JC Candello. http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=323046&cat=boxer

Bernard Dunne 24-1, 28, gained fame very early in his career as he had a lot of fights on ESPN2 and Shobox. He came forward and had some power for being a featherweight but had a suspect chin, that chin took quite a hit in his last fight when he got knocked out in the first round. Dunne looks to rebound and has his comeback fight next month. http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=81166&cat=boxer

Thanks for the tribute about boxers from my country but there are a few things that are annoying me , Bernard Dunne has a big mouth he said before the fight against Kiko Martinez he was gonna knock him out and no way was Martinez was gonna leave Dublin with his EBU belt . well Martinez did leave with his belt and on Friday the 8th of March had his first defence and what happened he lost to an english fighter named Rendall Munroe and in the process made Bernard Dunne look like a joke.

Andy Lee is the best fighter in Ireland followed by Duddy who has terrible guard

Good call, not much to add to what has been said.

I personally dislike "The Fighting Irish" stereotype myself but there is no getting away from the fact that our best guys have all been light-hitting but tough as nails pressure fighters.

Wayne McCullough, my mate who is one of the best people I know. Great guy, great professional and one of the most granite chins in history. I literally cried when the ref stopped the Larios fight. Not the most skilled, or the fastest, and pretty feather fisted, but a gas tank and chin bettered by nobody and great heart.

Barry McGuigan, I think, is one of Ireland's best as he was very skilled and could really box, wasnt just all pressure. Was a superstar at home and still well remembered, as was said he was bigger than boxing during his time in the limelight. That fight in the heat was a bad idea, finished him. Great commentator, very black and white and tells it like it is.

Steve Collins, dont think he was as good as I thought he was at the time but a real throwback to the stereotype of Irish fighters. Hard and tough, not particularly good at any one skill and no real power, but made a big noise with beating slightly shopworn versions of Eubank and Benn. Apparently Mike McCallum said he never wanted to fight him again!!

I knew Paddy Boy would make it into this.

I knew Paddy Boy would make it into this.

Had to be done, things are slow over at the No Homers club and Ive had my interest in boxing rekindled a bit by the recent good fighting, although my favourite Ukrainian didnt do much for that, big f-ing ponce walked around the ring doing nothing for the whole night :mad:

Things are slow there because nobody is posting, thats why.

That Wld-Ibragimov fight was abismal though. I agree.

Back