Salut To Irish Boxers

I saw Duddy fight Bonsante at the garden on St Pattys day last year. It was one of the best nights of my life. Fucking awesome.

looking forward to watching Andy Lee Friday night on ESPN2's Friday Night Fights.

i like John Duddy...and being a huge Pavlik fan, i'm glad Duddy isn't fighting Pavlik in June....because Duddy isn't ready for a guy like Pavlik yet

looking forward to watching Andy Lee Friday night on ESPN2's Friday Night Fights.

i like John Duddy...and being a huge Pavlik fan, i'm glad Duddy isn't fighting Pavlik in June....because Duddy isn't ready for a guy like Pavlik yet

What Duddy is now is what he's going to be. He's at his peak and his peak isn't that impressive.
He's a fun fighter to watch. But that fight against Bonsante illuminated so many flaws. And in his fight with Smichet it sure looked like he really didn't improve in the areas he needed to.

Paul McCloskey is another irish prospect , he's 15-0 and from derry .

he's a real classy boxer who uses his speed and feet he knocked out former european champion Tontcho Tontchev who fought Yuri Romanov in the summer last year .

he beat the though mexican Manuel Garnica in his last fight ND he looks like HE'LL BE FIGHTING FOR A EUROPEAN TITLE in the next few months

he's fighting former lw champion Cesar Bazan in his next fight which will be his toughest fight so far , and should show what level he's at .

McCloskey won the European title on saturday night and bumped his record to 20-0

Sky Sports | Boxing | News | McCloskey wins Euro title

Did anyone see the fight? I was at the fight in Magherafelt but didn't have great seats. Interested on opinions on his potential on the world scene. Thanks :)

Yeah, I get it....and I don't really like it. I like my fighters to show skills, along with the heart. I get the stereotype surrounding the Irish, but it's old hat for me.

And no, I didn't like fighters like Mickey Ward. He was simple.

Weird. This is a thread to salute irish boxers, and you're all great fans of boxing. Yet i see no mention of Jerry Quarry. The guy had a beautiful style, plus the heart of a damned lion. No stereotype there.

McCloskey won the European title on saturday night and bumped his record to 20-0

Sky Sports | Boxing | News | McCloskey wins Euro title

Did anyone see the fight? I was at the fight in Magherafelt but didn't have great seats. Interested on opinions on his potential on the world scene. Thanks :)

I like McCloskey he was a class above that spanish fella.I think he would have trouble with a fast puncher.Be interesting to see how he steps up his career now ,he is an old prospect.For anyone interested Andy Lee is fighting Affif Belghecam on sat

*see av*

Personally my favorite's Ward.

I'm excited for "The Fighter". I hope it's good.

Although he was born in God's own city, the man in my AV. Never the best, but always exciting.

Paul Mc Closkey - EBU light welterweight champion

Matt Macklin - EBU middleweight

Andy Lee - fighting on Saturday and could face Macklin by summer next year

Bernard Dunne - former WBA super bantamweight champion and currently #1 for the EBU title

John Duddy - hopefully the loss will help him

This year has been fantastic for Irish with 2 EBU and 1 WBA champ being crowned but it will never be perfect because of this;

Darren Sutherland 1982 - 2009, Darren an Olympic bronze medalist sadly passed away on the 14th of September 2009 after he was found hanging in his apartment by his promoter Frank Maloney

Ward is a Yank, he is not Irish. Both sets of my grand-parents are Irish and I look like a paddy through and through. But I've never been to Ireland. I'm an Aussie.

In terms of boxing legacy, Barry McGuigan is something to be proud of, Micky Ward is not. Fortunately I doubt Micky Ward will appear on many Salut To American Boxers threads.

Call me a pussy but I've always admired boxers who were able to avoid taking punches, rather than brawlers who can walk through them.

Paul Mc Closkey - EBU light welterweight champion

Matt Macklin - EBU middleweight

Andy Lee - fighting on Saturday and could face Macklin by summer next year

Bernard Dunne - former WBA super bantamweight champion and currently #1 for the EBU title

John Duddy - hopefully the loss will help him

This year has been fantastic for Irish with 2 EBU and 1 WBA champ being crowned but it will never be perfect because of this;

Darren Sutherland 1982 - 2009, Darren an Olympic bronze medalist sadly passed away on the 14th of September 2009 after he was found hanging in his apartment by his promoter Frank Maloney

martin lindsay is dif a top prospect,

Ward is definately a plastic paddy but he does have that Irish fighting spirit. Barry McGuigan was great for his time and for his country.

I know all the reasons why I shouldn't but I love watching a fighter walking through punches of a boxer with superior skill and making it a fight. Lots of Mccullough's fights have already been named - another one I liked was his fight with Zaragoza. You know, I really can't see why anyone would not be a fan. To each his own though.

martin lindsay is dif a top prospect,

I decided not to include him because of the fact he is currently British champion at Featherweight but is a Northern Irish Catholic, It is just a bit hypocritical but he is definitely a top prospect no doubt, he highlight reeled a very good boxer in Derry Matthews.

Im takin it back to the way old school: JOHN L. SULLIVAN!

Best Irish Bareknuckle fighter in history!

also Jack Dempsey (nonpareil)

and MOST OF ALL:

Me Brother Sylves

Wow great thread guys, nice to see Irish fighters getting some appreciation! Fantastic to see McGuigen, McCullough and all the rest mentioned. However Im surprised Eamonn McGee has not been mentioned yet. Also have you guys heard of Martin Rogan? He really is the epitomy of an irish brawler! He has heavy weight commonwealth champion but was dealt his first loss earlier in 2009 against a fella called sam sexton who took the belt, have a look at him here against matt skelton, skip to 44mins to see the stopage:
YouTube - Matt Skelton vs Martin Rogan

I decided not to include him because of the fact he is currently British champion at Featherweight but is a Northern Irish Catholic, It is just a bit hypocritical but he is definitely a top prospect no doubt, he highlight reeled a very good boxer in Derry Matthews.

haha wise up.

Back