salmon seasoning or recipes

Big fan of garlic, Dill and butter with a little squeese of lemon. Eat it with sweet potatoe and craime fraiche

If you have a mortar and pestle (or a coffee grinder in a pinch), grind the following up and rub liberally on the fish:

2 parts fennel seed
2 parts cumin seed
2 parts coriander seed
1 part rosemary
1 part granular sea salt

I broil it with butter, dijon mustard, garlic salt & capers

Crispy skin salmon
get a filet with the skin on , score the skin with a super sharp knife, heat up a pan to high (not supa-high) sprinkle some salt and peppa into the scores you've made, put some olive oil in the pan when it's just starting to smoke, put in the salmon skin side down, cook till it's almost cooked through (you'll see the cooked part rising up the side of the fillet) turn it over, cook the other side for a minute, then turn it back onto the skin side, take the pan off the heat and let the fish rest in the pan for about 3 minutes, serve - woila! this is fekin delicious the skin goes all crispy from the fat in the salmon and it's nutritious as

Crispy skin salmon
get a filet with the skin on , score the skin with a super sharp knife, heat up a pan to high (not supa-high) sprinkle some salt and peppa into the scores you've made, put some olive oil in the pan when it's just starting to smoke, put in the salmon skin side down, cook till it's almost cooked through (you'll see the cooked part rising up the side of the fillet) turn it over, cook the other side for a minute, then turn it back onto the skin side, take the pan off the heat and let the fish rest in the pan for about 3 minutes, serve - woila! this is fekin delicious the skin goes all crispy from the fat in the salmon and it's nutritious as

I agree that crispy skin slamon is the shit, but you'd be better off frying it in butter rather than olive oil due to the fact that olive oil does not have a high smoke point and separates when heated too much. It's better used at the very end of cooking a dish if you like that flavour, or on salads as part of a dressing. Olive oil can even go rancid in the pan if you're not careful. Probably not if you're cooking fish as fish takes only a few minutes to cook, but some people use it for everything. I'm even surprised at how much red seal chefs who say they are focusing on top notch quality food use things that aren't the greatest when preparing their dishes and how little knowledge of oils they actually have. Yeah the food tastes amazing, but it could be better and healthier too. Sorry went off on a tangent. >: )

yea olive oil has a low smoke point but butter's is even lower my friend, in fact at the heat that olive oil smokes butter will burn, Trust me - olive oil (it's alot healthier too)

yea olive oil has a low smoke point but butter's is even lower my friend, in fact at the heat that olive oil smokes butter will burn, Trust me - olive oil (it's alot healthier too)

I've never had problems with things burning in butter as I have when I tried olive oil at the same heat, plus butter just tastes better, but to each their own. I won't heat olive oil anymore because I don't want the separation and I don't think it's healthier than butter. They are both healthy fats.

Big fan of garlic, Dill and butter with a little squeese of lemon. Eat it with sweet potatoe and craime fraiche

Drool. Spot on.

Not that I'd ever argue with a Norweigan about how best to serve salmon :icon_surp

Try:

Soy Sauce + Mirin + Grated ginger & garlic = Terriyaki Salmon.

or

White wine with Salt & Pepper

First off - I am an excellent cook, with significant training as well as a background in engineering and nutrition. I love to base my recipes on the scientific/metabolic why as well as the flavor.

So to start you off on your salmon recipe

Have handy -
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. cayenne
pinch of cumin
1/2 tsp ginger paste or crushed fresh peeled ginger root. This is easiest to do in a coffee grinder or cuisinart if you use the fresh option.
pinch of salt
fresh ground black pepper
a crushed clove of garlic
very small amount of olive oil
lemon wedge
splash of coconut milk

Prep the fish - for either steaks or fillets you want to rinse the fish in cold water and pat it completely dry. Lightly score the skin side of the fish, making sure the scoring doesn't cut through more than the skin if you can manage it. A sharp knife helps a ton here.

Once the fish is scored and dry, mix the dry seasonings together and rub the mixture gently onto the fish. Try and get as the score marks filled with the seasoning mix. The skin side of the fish should look slightly striped with the cut marks filled with the darker seasoning mix. The flesh of the fish should be evenly seasoned as well. Set the fish aside at room temperature for the next few minutes while you prep the pan.

Heat a skillet large enough to cook the cut of fish one entire side at a time. I prefer a small cast iron pan I acquired from an unknown source a long time ago but any skillet works. *WIPE* the oil over the pan evenly. You don't need it to keep the already oily fish from sticking or for their to be any standing oil in the pan. A thin even coating of olive oil is enough.

Turn the stove onto medium heat ( 6 out of 10, or a about half way up for a gas burner ) and once the oil is hot set the fish skin side down in the pan. While the skin side cooks for 5-6 minutes spread the garlic and ginger onto the flesh side of the fish. If you are cooking a steak don't worry about which side is down. You still only need to spread the garlic and ginger onto the side that is face-up in the pan while the other side cooks. The times are also reasonably similar although a steak that is thicker than your average fillet may take 6-7 minutes.

Once the white fat layer beneath the skin starts to liquefy and the meat appears to be turning white through to the half way mark you can carefully flip the fish over. Don't be rough here or the garlic and ginger will smear onto your pan. You want as much of it to be under the fish now as possible. Turn the heat down slightly and let the fish cook the rest of the way through by watching the pinkness on the side of the cut. When it is just opaque all the way through when viewed from the edge the center will still be pink. Take the fish off of the pan but leave the oil and seasoning that is left behind on the burner. Pour in your splash of coconut milk and a squeeze of citrus of some sort. I prefer using about a tbsp. of pulpless orange juice but a lime, lemon or grapefruit works just as well. You don't need much. Using a wooden spoon scrape the seasoning and cooked garlic/ginger off the pan and let it simmer in the coconut milk / citrus for a minute or two.

Spoon the mixture onto the top of the fillet and enjoy.

A note on the seasonings chosen -

Turmeric - metabolic booster, assists in metabolizing protein. Contains curcumin which lowers cholesterol and is a powerful anti-oxidant.
CURRY POWDER: Turmeric

Cayenne - provides a short term metabolic boost. Raises median body temperature and an increase in circulation.
Spice Up Your Metabolism With Cayenne Pepper Fit Tip Daily

Ginger - reduces stomach acidity. Contains protein metabolizing enzymes. Stimulates circulation and reduces inflammation.
Healthy benefits of ginger - food that speed up metabolism and more | Health, fitness and beauty

Cumin - increases body temperature thus metabolism. Reduces inflammation, detoxifies the liver and stimulates appetite. Also a powerful anti-oxidant.
Medicinal Benefits of Cumin Seeds

The reason you wait to apply the garlic and ginger is because wet pastes are hard to apply to just one side of the fish during the seasoning process. This isn't important to their function.

The reason you don't marinate salmin is because it doesn't need it. Applying citrus early to a white fish is good - it firms the flesh up and reduces the cooking time required. Applying it early to a fatty fish like salmon only makes it dry out. You want the temperature of the pan to heat the natural fish oils and for that reaction to be what cooks the meat. Not the acid from the citrus. The only real reason for using it is that it tastes ridiculously good when used to create the 'sauce' at the end.

This recipe borrows heavily from curry flavors - so if you hate Indian / Thai food you might want to do something else.

Typically I pair this recipe with some blanched, sauteed broccoli rabe or kale florettes and a slice of crusty whole wheat bread. The whole wheat loaves that you finish in the over are perfect for this.

The links I reference aren't the best and I don't presume they are accurate. They are provided to give you a reason to read more on what / how your seasoning of food can affect your body as much as the main ingredients can.

You sir are correct.

Refined olive oil - the least refined you will use in an average kitchen (not even 'virgin' or 'extra-virgin' ) has a smoke point of 375 degrees. It goes up from there with refinement. Butter's smoke point 350 degrees. Butter will burn before a quality olive oil even begins to smoke.

Cooking Oil Smoke Points

Wild caught salmon is one of the best things you could possibly eat in all respects.

Smear a little bit of coconut oil in a pan, lay that bitch skin-side down on the oil, sprinkle the slightest little queef of coarse black pepper on it, and bake her at ~400 degree's for about 12-15 minutes. Commence mouthgasm.

I personally don't use lemon juice on salmon, only white fish.

That sounds damn good. I have salmon for dinner tonight, need some coconut oil.

Pecan-Crusted Salmon (from John Berardi's Gourmet Nutrition)

Ingredients:
salmon fillet
2 tbsp pecan meal (chop pecans up in blender)
1tsp olive oil
Salt & pepper

Instructions:
Mix 2 tbsp pecan meal and 1 tsp olive oil in a small bowl, then coat the top of the of salmon fillet. Add salt and pepper. Cook the salmon in an oven at 400-degrees F for 12 minutes, broiling for the last 6 minutes.

After my dad and i went fishing on lake Michigan we got like 200 lbs of salmon, one of the things that we did was grill it on a cedar plank, they sell them on the grilling section of major hardware stores like home depot and maybe lowes. You put it on the plank and grill it which brings the cedar flavor out. another favorite is smoking it and mixing it with cream cheese to make a dip. My all time favorite is taking horseradish, a squeeze of lemon juice, and sage, take the sauce and put or slather it on and grill. It is absolutly the best that the only way i had it when i was growing up, enjoy!

oh also take wasabi peas crush them up with lemon juice and honey roasted peanuts and coat it in that to make a really good coating PM me if anyone would like the recipes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back