1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

salmon seasoning or recipes

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Ghostdogg, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Ghostdogg

Ghostdogg Blue Belt

well i was told salmon is a good fish to eat any ideas on a good way to prepare it.

2. Blackice

Blackice Orange Belt

I season it with salt, pepper and then whatever else I feel like. Sometimes it's thyme and dill, sometimes it's garam masala spice. I fry it in butter for 4-5 minutes and voila. Fish is one of the fastest, easiest things to cook.

3. Seppuku Sam

Seppuku Sam Blue Belt

easy....on the gril with melted butter, lemon juice and fresh crushed garlik. You can do the same in a pan. Use leftovers in your salads.

4. immovablestone

immovablestone Purple Belt

Wild caught salmon is one of the best things you could possibly eat in all respects.

Smear a little bit of coconut oil in a pan, lay that bitch skin-side down on the oil, sprinkle the slightest little queef of coarse black pepper on it, and bake her at ~400 degree's for about 12-15 minutes. Commence mouthgasm.

I personally don't use lemon juice on salmon, only white fish.

5. Ghostdogg

Ghostdogg Blue Belt

yeah i am beginning my road to healthy.

6. edco76

edco76 huh? Platinum Member

Marinate in

2 tbs honey
    1 tbs balsamic
    some basil
    clove of garlic

Heat that to boiling then cook. Pan, oven, or grill. Its all delicious.

7. Yakobi

Yakobi Green Belt

All good advice. I have also used juice squeezed from an orange and it was excellent.

8. scottm

scottm Green Belt

Big fan of butter or olive oil, garlic, pepper, and lemon juice ... I try to do it on a cedar plank on the grill - but if i don't have time to soak a plank i will wrap it in foil.

9. ucunc156

ucunc156 Silver Belt

easiest and still great tasting: soy sauce and a cajun seasoning. red chilli powder if you like it hot.

10. dropshot001

dropshot001 Red Belt

11. Prokofievian

Prokofievian Silver Belt Platinum Member

Well, two ways that I look at salmon is 1.) it's a very oily fish, and 2.) it is a fish with a very robust flavour.

Any time you can add acid to something oily, it usually ends up pretty good, and even quite refreshing. So lemon is pretty popular with salmon. Balsamic as well.

However, also because it has a robust flavour, I think it works well with other very powerful flavours, such as mustard, whiskey, or maple syrup.

I always grill my salmon, as I don't have a decent frying pan that will allow me to pan-roast the salmon properly. If you grill a filet, make sure you grill it flesh side down first. If you grill it skin side down first, and finish on the flesh side, the flesh will be cooked when it's time to take it off the grill, and the fish will flake quite a bit easier. So when I grill the salmon, it's rubbed with olive oil, salt, and pepper, then placed at a 45 degree angle on a very hot grill(well I wouldn't say "very" hot, but quite hot. It should sizzle when you put it down). When it comes time to flip, I give it a gentle push from the side. If the fish doesnt move freely, don't force it. Let it sit for another minute, then try again. When the fish has the proper grill marks, it will release from the grill surface easily, then you can flip it.

Then I do one of three things. Either finish it on the grill, and put a simple squirt of lemon juice as it's coming off the grill, as well as another little sprinkle of salt. Or, I'll glaze it with a maple-dijon-whiskey glaze as it's finishing on the grill. Or I'll make a classic beurre-blanc sauce, usually with lemon, and dill.

12. KonThai

KonThai White Belt

I usually just salt & pepper it. But I will have to try some of these ideas you guys put out!

13. immovablestone

immovablestone Purple Belt

This is why these are the best types of threads, you always pick up something you haven't tried.

I am going to use this tonight.

14. 4FightersChick

4FightersChick White Belt

Since we are health freaks, I try to avoid "extra" fat, so I spray it with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray, sprinkle Paprika, Chilli Powder, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Parsley, Pepper, Salt (unless you're cutting), ...spray again. Broil for about 10-15 minutes, depending on the size of the piece!

It'll "blacken"!

15. 0gami

0gami The Resurrector of the Horrocore

Hmm....I normally use Mrs. Dash, Basil, Paprika, Garlic Powder, a small amount of season salt, and lemon pepper. I like to combine those in Olive Oil and brush it on the top, and then bake the hell out of it. Works for me.

16. scottm

scottm Green Belt

If you were a health freak you would be using pastured real butter, not something created by a chemist.

17. Rws177die

Rws177die Yellow Belt

I like it with "Blackend Fish Seasoning" they have it by the spices at the grocery store. I throw it on the grill and spray with butter and apply that seasoning pretty heavily, tastes great!!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  18. GhostDog

GhostDog Yellow Belt

I like putting jerk seasoning on salmon.

19. cwdsi

cwdsi Yellow Belt

Some interesting ideas here. I usually season mine with salt, pepper, minced garlic, and then coat it with parmesan cheese and bake it. The pamesan cheese gives the salmon a nice crust and tastes awesome when baked.

20. leftovercrack

leftovercrack Yellow Belt

agreed, I like to rub mine with butter, pepper, fresh sliced garlic, fresh red pepper, fresh parsley and cilantro and little maggi sauce wrap in tinfoil, on the bbq.