S&P, Help a brother out

Nihilistic

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey folks, been a while since I posted in S&P. Not sure if Carnal or Jarfi still post over here but if so glad to see you guys are still around.

Heres my problem, I started having really bad knee pains a couple years ago and just assumed it was arthritis or something and tried to work through it. Last year I decided enough is enough and went to the doc. The Dr took some xrays and told me that i have a patella tracking disorder which essentially means that when my leg bends my kneecap slides off to the side. This in turn causes my knee to wear down my cartilage.

I got sent over to do some rehab work on my knee which worked out pretty good, it was just a lot of stretching and some shocking of the muscles. It seemed to relieve the pain. They said that my leg was too weak on one side, which would be on the inside of my thight.

I was wondering how I go about strengthening this part? I was forbidden from heavy squats and all the other fun stuff and was told to focus on just 10-20lbs workouts until I can go 6 months without my knee clicking.

I still can't go the 6 months without it clicking, actually it clicked not even 3 days ago. Any help at all on this would be appreciated.

Another option to build strength would be the use of isometric contractions. Things like wall sits at various angles for a certain period of time. Provided you are not suffering knee pain during the exercise these provide a good form of resistance whilst keeping your knee joint immobilized.

That and find a good sports physio to get you back on track as quickly as possible.

I'm not sure whether these would help with the tracking, but I found cycling and leg extensions to be very useful, but only on very light weights (basically just getting the blood pumping). That being said, I have very different knee problems (perfect tracking, bad tendon).

Hey folks, been a while since I posted in S&P. Not sure if Carnal or Jarfi still post over here but if so glad to see you guys are still around.

Heres my problem, I started having really bad knee pains a couple years ago and just assumed it was arthritis or something and tried to work through it. Last year I decided enough is enough and went to the doc. The Dr took some xrays and told me that i have a patella tracking disorder which essentially means that when my leg bends my kneecap slides off to the side. This in turn causes my knee to wear down my cartilage.

I got sent over to do some rehab work on my knee which worked out pretty good, it was just a lot of stretching and some shocking of the muscles. It seemed to relieve the pain. They said that my leg was too weak on one side, which would be on the inside of my thight.

I was wondering how I go about strengthening this part? I was forbidden from heavy squats and all the other fun stuff and was told to focus on just 10-20lbs workouts until I can go 6 months without my knee clicking.

I still can't go the 6 months without it clicking, actually it clicked not even 3 days ago. Any help at all on this would be appreciated.

Just thinking out loud, this sounds like a case for water resistance, like in a pool. Get in and walk, swing your legs side to side, etc.

I'm not sure whether these would help with the tracking, but I found cycling and leg extensions to be very useful, but only on very light weights (basically just getting the blood pumping). That being said, I have very different knee problems (perfect tracking, bad tendon).

Your tendon kinda slide and pop when you bend your knee?

I got the exact same problem. The knees will never quit cracking but you can definately get the timing of your knees back on track.

Does the Dr. think that the squats caused it?

NormanSmiley-1.gif

Now go away please.

Nihilistic,

Carnal's still around, but we haven't seen Jarfi in a while. Good luck about your knee problem, sounds like this is pretty common.

Does the Dr. think that the squats caused it?

no the Dr says its just the way my muscles developed. he was actually a big time supporter of squats to strengthen the whole body. one of the only doctors i know of who is pro squat

What Donut said. I think finding a sport physician would help. Unfortunately most docs deal primarily with the lowest common denominators of health, you could benefit from one who concentrates on athletes. Good luck.

*edited* sounds like you've found a good physician; )

Another option to build strength would be the use of isometric contractions. Things like wall sits at various angles for a certain period of time. Provided you are not suffering knee pain during the exercise these provide a good form of resistance whilst keeping your knee joint immobilized.

That and find a good sports physio to get you back on track as quickly as possible.

Great call Brad, I will definitely add these to my knee fixing workout.

I agree. I had a huge problem with my knee from Osgood Schlatters Disease. The last 20* or so of leg extensions help a lot. This is about the only time I can think of a Leg Extension as a good thing.

Also, I used one of those EMS devices, and that worked well, too.

Back