Media Ryan Garcia says he would ‘destroy’ Sean O’Malley in MMA

Who would win a potential fight?

• Total voters
The amount of people who can't grasp this about Floyd & Conor is fucking disturbing. You wouldn't believe how many times I've seen people claim Floyd would beat conor the same in mma because conor has "no grappling".
I don't even wanna check the comments on that post because it'll just annoy me

You think Sean will still be conscious after he gets hit a few times by Garcia? Ryan will only have to hit him once with that left hook or his straight right hand. You know how many submission wins Sean has in his entire career? One. He's purely a standup fighter. A showman. The kind that will likely want to stand with anyone. He's that confident in his striking.

Can Sean grapple? Yeah, he just sucks at it. Especially at wrestling which is why we never see him using it in MMA. He recognizes this.

“I came down to Arizona. Literally for 10 days, every time I left practice I was crying.

When it came to wrestling, I didn’t know how to fu*king wrestle to save my life. Kickboxing I would do okay, I would do alright, but when it came to like grappling days… I had zero chance.

I would leave the gym fu*king crying.”

Sean O’Malley: “I Didn’t Know How To Fu*king Wrestle To Save My Life”
And there it is. And you're an actual mma fan aswell. How is it possible for you to think like that? Extraordinary...
How much of a grappling standout do you think someone has to be (in MMA) for them to be effective with it against someone who literally doesn't even train grappling? It's like you don't even understand the concept of MMA. Yes Sean's a striker... when he's fighting other MMA fighters. And Sean's quote is about when he first started grappling, over a decade ago. That's 10 years of grappling, but not enough to use against someone with zero apparently.
Garcia ain't getting past those kicks anyway. Done in seconds

And there it is. And you're an actual mma fan aswell. How is it possible for you to think like that? Extraordinary...
How much of a grappling standout do you think someone has to be (in MMA) for them to be effective with it against someone who literally doesn't even train grappling? It's like you don't even understand the concept of MMA. Yes Sean's a striker... when he's fighting other MMA fighters. And Sean's quote is about when he first started grappling, over a decade ago. That's 10 years of grappling, but not enough to use against someone with zero apparently.
Garcia ain't getting past those kicks anyway. Done in seconds
I already acknowledged that O'Malley can grapple. We know this. In order to impose his submission grappling he'll likely need to use his wrestling which he's terrible at by his own admission. As in, today, his wrestling still sucks not 10 years ago.

He doesn't wrestle in MMA because he prefers to strike. Fighters tend to stick to what they're good at. Would his shitty wrestling be enough to beat Garcia? Probably, but O'Malley would much rather stand. Let's recall that he thinks he could beat Tank and Haney in a boxing ring. It's hardly a reach to think that he'd elect to stand with Garcia in MMA where he'd risk getting knocked out quickly.

I think there are plenty of other professional boxers that are capable of KOing, or at least seriously hurting, an opponent from the bottom. Some of them don't need much space to generate power. Glowacki wasn't even a puncher by boxing standards and he managed it first try.

What we know about the data is that 99.99% of it consists of MMA fighters on bottom. Not professional boxers. Of that percentage only a tiny fraction have even tried to really hurt the guy on top with punches. I think we'll see it happen again when more boxers cross over to MMA.

Honestly, I wish this were true. As a boxer, I would love to convince myself that I could fuck these guys up with my hands. But the reality is that you need to train in the sport to actually succeed in it. Given that the majority of power is generated by the legs, trying to win by KO while under full mount is probably a regrettable life choice.

Forget MMA, even in a pure muay thai or kickboxing match, the MMA guy has the massive advantage. Boxers are just not used to using all 8 limbs. I don't think we should try. An F1 racer doesn't need to know shit about operating a truck, ATV, bus, rally car etc.

Honestly, I wish this were true. As a boxer, I would love to convince myself that I could fuck these guys up with my hands. But the reality is that you need to train in the sport to actually succeed in it. Given that the majority of power is generated by the legs, trying to win by KO while under full mount is probably a regrettable life choice.

Forget MMA, even in a pure muay thai or kickboxing match, the MMA guy has the massive advantage. Boxers are just not used to using all 8 limbs. I don't think we should try. An F1 racer doesn't need to know shit about operating a truck, ATV, bus, rally car etc.
Glowacki didn't need his legs to KO that guy from full mount. He was still able to get enough leverage and rotation. Being a heavyweight (in MMA) helps. No matter what position you find yourself in those shots are going to hurt especially when delivered by a former boxing world champion.

The theory has always been that if you don't have your legs under you your punching power is ruined. However, that's not necessarily true as we saw with Glowacki and a few others that have managed the feat. The guy on top also doesn't have his legs under him. Meaning that he doesn't have a real base. It's a strong base that allows a fighter to absorb shots.

As I've said, I believe that there are plenty of other pro boxers that could pull it off. Beterbiev & Tank just to name two. Glowacki isn't a hitter nor has he ever been. His power by boxing standards is bang average.

Dana is the problem... they won't let fights like this happen unless the boxer agrees to a multi-fight contract for 1/100th of what they normally get.

You think Sean will still be conscious after he gets hit a few times by Garcia? Ryan will only have to hit him once with that left hook or his straight right hand. You know how many submission wins Sean has in his entire career? One. He's purely a standup fighter. A showman. The kind that will likely want to stand with anyone. He's that confident in his striking.

Can Sean grapple? Yeah, he just sucks at it. Especially at wrestling which is why we never see him using it in MMA. He recognizes this.

“I came down to Arizona. Literally for 10 days, every time I left practice I was crying.

When it came to wrestling, I didn’t know how to fu*king wrestle to save my life. Kickboxing I would do okay, I would do alright, but when it came to like grappling days… I had zero chance.

I would leave the gym fu*king crying.”

Sean O’Malley: “I Didn’t Know How To Fu*king Wrestle To Save My Life”
He's talking about what happened when he moved gyms as an 18 year old.

That story was 11 years ago.

All posts about boxers talking about doing mma should go straight to the the wasteland

Everyone thinks they can do what Francis did but have no idea how differently Francis is built. Garcia would get destroyed with one leg kick.

I don’t care for Sean but there’s a reason boxers avoid coming to MMA. 1-2 leg kicks and their entire heavy lead leg stance is compromised.
come on a big part of it is also that a famous boxer makes 10 times more money doing what he knows and has no reason to push his luck in mma.

Reactions: Cid
What this says to me is that he’s already accepted and is ok with losing for money in his career. Which is not a great sign if you plan on being a legitimate competitor in your sport.
Only if you believe you aren't there to earn money first.

He's talking about what happened when he moved gyms as an 18 year old.

That story was 11 years ago.
Yet he doesn't use any offensive wrestling today. If he was such an improved wrestler, other than his TDD, why is that? Assuming he even trains offensive wrestling, by not using it in the cage, all that does is cause it to deteriorate. He's a complete striker but hardly a complete mixed martial artist.

This statement now has me rooting for Devin. Anything that contributes to this crossover nonsense should be discouraged. Let MMA be MMA and boxing be boxing. This coming from someone who's been training Judo/BJJ since 2007.

Back