Ryan García vs Luke Campbell Jan.2nd DAZN

i had ryan one point ahead before the KO, thought the fight was a lot closer than the commentators made it sound. garcia was throwing heavy power shots all the time, but the vast majority was blocked. campbell was landing short little punches with no flash on them, but he snapped ryan's head back several times.

that knockdown in the second was beautiful, for a second i thought the kid was out. the way he fell, i got really excited for luke.

garcia is a monstrous offensive fighter. the left hook, right straight, right uppercut... they all pack enough fire power to KO anyone. but he has very little footwork and almost no head movement. i gotta say i expected him to blow luke out of the water, and seeing him get dropped like that in the 2nd makes me cringe when i think of a fight with tank. i can't stand davis, but he'd knock ryan dead. lopez also schools him.

so i guess haney is the best title fight for him right now?
Yeah good summation. I really thought Garcia was a gonna in that second round. But he showed good powers of recovery but probably what you'd expect of someone his age. He leaves himself open and he has plants his feet too much looking for power. He's fine when the opponent isn't punching back but Campbell was catching him with counters when he wasn't blocking shots. Garcia looked better because he was throwing hard shots but they weren't all that effective because Campbell was blocking the vast majority. I think Davis would hurt him and Lopez would knock him out cold based on that performance.

They are bush league level. Blows my mind tha'ts the best they could dig up. Boxing has lost its charm. These guys are just corporate puppets.

First time ive seen Garcia, did not look very impressive. Just compare him to the young Oscar at the same age, experience when he first fought Chavez, its literally comparing a man to a boy.
Oscar was getting dropped by lesser opponents than Campbell and Ryan wasn’t an Olympic gold medalist like Oscar

Oscar was also like a year older when he fought Chavez

I don't know how many times a young Oscar was dropped, I doubt he would have been legit hurt like Garcia was. His style reminds me of Gatti tbh.

I just started watching the replay now because it was too early yesterday but holy fuck, did this guy just say that ryan garcia was faster than lomachenko and linares and act like it wasnt even close?

Do you think Garcia will be able to learn footwork and head movement at this stage of his career - seems to me that these bad habits are bedded in as part of his style and will be very difficult for him to unlearn, even if he wants to.
Potential to rant forever here so ill try not to, but essentially i think Garcia can very easily tighten up his defensive game. Part of fighting with the aggression he brings is you are more open to being blasted in return. All the power shots he wants to throw tend to keep him planted and squared up, so those shots that counter him have serious consequences.

Garcia needs to settle down a bit. Hes got incredible hand speed and serious power, but picking his shots better will go a long way in protecting that chin from getting tagged.

I dont think hell ever turn into a defensive boxer, but it doesnt take much to shell up better than he did last night either. Sometimes getting dropped on your ass can be a real eye opener, so we will see how he adjusts (or doesnt) moving forward.

That was a star making performance. He showed everything his detractors said he wouldn't have. That was a nasty shot the put him down, but he got up and began walking Campbell down again. I do think there's a maturity issue with him though, and it was clear he was looking for a highlight KO all night. Hand speed it good, footwork is okay but he needs to stop putting his lead foot inside of his opponents so much. I really don't like how he keeps his chin out there when he throws and he needs to move his damn head.
Other than that, he's pretty good. Potential to be great, under another trainer. He'd be a monster under Freddie Roach. What a stacked class at Lightweight right now.

How can you expect Garcia to destroy Campbell? Garcia's only defensive move is to extend his arms and back away in a straight line with his chin up in the air. That's all he's ever done.

The Garcia we just saw is the same we've always seen: good offense, terrible defense. The only thing we learned is that the kid can take a shot. I still give him a 0% chance to beat Lopez, Davis or Loma.
sure, i didn't mean to say that garcia looked any different in this fight. but i did expect him to finish campbell because the kid has serious power, combined with some impressively fast hands.

what i didn't expect is for him to be dropped like a sack by luke, who isn't exactly a power puncher.

all in all, impressive win for ryan, because campbell is a quality fighter. luke is legit, he's just in a weight class filled with dangerous guys. but the fact that garcia got dropped like he did against him, and so early, does not bode well for him if he's in there with lopez or davis.

Hes not ready for Lopez, Loma, or Tank. I think Davis is scum of the earth but hed have knocked this version of Garcia’s head into the second row.

Long way to go to become a complete fighter. But hes also only 22. By no means am I saying he will reach this level, but there was a time when Canelo was called for cinder block feet and poor defense.

the difference i see is that canelo was always a tank in the ring. his chin was tested by some big punchers and the only time i've seen him staggered was by cotto's brother... who canelo beat the living shit out of and finished like 2 rounds later. he's also always reacted to getting hit by returning heavy fire. canelo has always, and still does, fight like a blue collar fighter.

garcia, to me, looked a bit like a deer in the headlights any time campbell let his hands go. i think anyone with skills and power, who will plant their feet and return fire any time ryan gets his offense going, is going to give him serious trouble. seriously, davis would've killed him last night. lopez, too.

That was a star making performance. He showed everything his detractors said he wouldn't have. That was a nasty shot the put him down, but he got up and began walking Campbell down again. I do think there's a maturity issue with him though, and it was clear he was looking for a highlight KO all night. Hand speed it good, footwork is okay but he needs to stop putting his lead foot inside of his opponents so much. I really don't like how he keeps his chin out there when he throws and he needs to move his damn head.
Other than that, he's pretty good. Potential to be great, under another trainer. He'd be a monster under Freddie Roach. What a stacked class at Lightweight right now.
Also need to keep in mind Garcia was the aggressor for majority of the night which isn't his forte The guy is a natural counter puncher so i doubt you see this version vs guys like Tank or Haney

Yeah Loma needs to win back some titles. And I really wish he was more switched on regarding the business aspect of boxing. He should have had a rematch clause against Lopez. AJ did against Ruiz and he kept his titles as a result.
Yeah that was inexcusable.

Yeah that was inexcusable.
On the other hand I can’t understand Lopez’s resistance to giving him a rematch. After his victory his confidence must be sky high, he’s likely the A-side now, and it’s the most financially rewarding fight for him at the weight within the TR fold. The only other guys who would be near as rewarding are Ramirez and Taylor at 140 (both excellent fights), and the only one that would pay him more is a fight against Crawford (maybe too much too soon).

On the other hand I can’t understand Lopez’s resistance to giving him a rematch. After his victory his confidence must be sky high, he’s likely the A-side now, and it’s the most financially rewarding fight for him at the weight within the TR fold. The only other guys who would be near as rewarding are Ramirez and Taylor at 140 (both excellent fights), and the only one that would pay him more is a fight against Crawford (maybe too much too soon).
It may well be the best move for Lopez, but my hangup has strictly to do with Lomachenko’s handlers being incompetent.

the difference i see is that canelo was always a tank in the ring. his chin was tested by some big punchers and the only time i've seen him staggered was by cotto's brother... who canelo beat the living shit out of and finished like 2 rounds later. he's also always reacted to getting hit by returning heavy fire. canelo has always, and still does, fight like a blue collar fighter.

garcia, to me, looked a bit like a deer in the headlights any time campbell let his hands go. i think anyone with skills and power, who will plant their feet and return fire any time ryan gets his offense going, is going to give him serious trouble. seriously, davis would've killed him last night. lopez, too.
Garcia needs to mature in the ring. He knows that his hands and power are top notch and hes likely a bit too in love with those aspects right now. Not uncommon to see a puncher look a bit lost when they eat it in return.

Getting planted on his ass could be the best thing to happen to him. Because as we all agree he cannot afford that vs the big dogs. I will say his recovery was impressive though.

Potential to rant forever here so ill try not to, but essentially i think Garcia can very easily tighten up his defensive game. Part of fighting with the aggression he brings is you are more open to being blasted in return. All the power shots he wants to throw tend to keep him planted and squared up, so those shots that counter him have serious consequences.

Garcia needs to settle down a bit. Hes got incredible hand speed and serious power, but picking his shots better will go a long way in protecting that chin from getting tagged.

I dont think hell ever turn into a defensive boxer, but it doesnt take much to shell up better than he did last night either. Sometimes getting dropped on your ass can be a real eye opener, so we will see how he adjusts (or doesnt) moving forward.
Aren't you forgetting that last nights performance was out of norm

he's rarely the aggressor like he was last night

I appreciated his ability to switch it up as necessary and he'll learn to be more defensive while being aggressive

Not many can be both They're either one or the other so that in of itself is fascinating

I appreciated his ability to switch it up as necessary and he'll learn to be more defensive while being aggressive

Not many can be both They're either one or the other so that in of itself is fascinating
Probably largely social media related, so yea I can acknowledge that.

I enjoyed seeing the grit of getting blasted and jumping right back into the fight. Not many people have that built into them.

That was a star making performance.
No.

He showed everything his detractors said he wouldn't have.
Only thing he had showed : a lot of flaws and with Campbell he did the just same stuff Loma had did vs Linares.
I had forget that then Loma haters had used as argument that Linares is a journeyman etc.
If compare with Campbell, Linares at least had World tittle and he is 0-1 vs Loma and 1-0 vs Campbell while Campbell is 0-1 vs Linares and 0-1 vs Loma.

Yes, Kingry had improved, this yeah. Will see, is he capable to beat Linares too.

He's looked pretty poor on the backfoot in his career. He really didn't handle the pressure well at all against Morales two years ago. Fighting offensively and trying to maximize the gifts of his hand speed and power is likely what the Reynosos see as the best way to make use of his current skillset.

He's looked pretty poor on the backfoot in his career. He really didn't handle the pressure well at all against Morales two years ago. Fighting offensively and trying to maximize the gifts of his hand speed and power is likely what the Reynosos see as the best way to make use of his current skillset.
Well Canelo had the exact same issue when he was around 22 years old and Reynosos corrected that

he's much lighter on his feet so I like to think this is correctable Getting knocked on your ass for the first time should reinforce this need

Well Canelo had the exact same issue when he was around 22 years old and Reynosos corrected that

he's much lighter on his feet so I like to think this is correctable Getting knocked on your ass for the first time should reinforce this need

Canelo was a drastically better defensive fighter at the same age. His issues at that age were cutting off the ring and stamina/workrate. Canelo didn't have the hand speed and power of Garcia, but he was a much more polished fighter than Garcia at the same age.

Back