Ryan Carson - "Knife Defense is Impossible!"

raiders-of-the-lost-ark-indiana-jones.gif

yeah, i've never seen convincing knife defense in my life that didn't include shooting first.
be first, be faster (to run), or be lucky and face somebody that doesn't know what he's doing and hope you only get cuts on your forearms.

A migrant was spotted with a knife in his waistband at the club I was working at. We attempted to get behind him to grab him before he pulled it, he saw the co worker circling behind as I introduced myself to him and brandished the blade. I this is Sparta teeped the shit out of him into a wall and my buddies jumped on him and pinned the knife hand. He was the only one to get hurt that night.

I'd never want to do one on one with a competent armed advisory though.

I have trained in knife fighting and defence. My favourite method for an equal fight was to wrap the left arm in one's coat, stand regular stance and use the knife as a straight right, parrying with the left.

One thing to consider is that you likely won't really feel small wounds with a knife in a fight. Many believe they were punched if they don't see it. As such going for the knife arm and suffering some damage on the way is an option, if one is pretty sure you out match them strength/skill wise.

Ive witnessed unarmed people disarm knife wielders. Get some rubber training knives and start practicing. You actually can come out unscathed its not impossible. Skill gap matters though just like fist fights.

Edit: tip - reverse your stance

A migrant was spotted with a knife in his waistband at the club I was working at. We attempted to get behind him to grab him before he pulled it, he saw the co worker circling behind as I introduced myself to him and brandished the blade. I this is Sparta teeped the shit out of him into a wall and my buddies jumped on him and pinned the knife hand. He was the only one to get hurt that night.

I'd never want to do one on one with a competent armed advisory though.

I have trained in knife fighting and defence. My favourite method for an equal fight was to wrap the left arm in one's coat, stand regular stance and use the knife as a straight right, parrying with the left.

One thing to consider is that you likely won't really feel small wounds with a knife in a fight. Many believe they were punched if they don't see it. As such going for the knife arm and suffering some damage on the way is an option, if one is pretty sure you out match them strength/skill wise.
My buddy got stabbed Troy style top of the shoulder. Didn't even know the guy he was fighting had a knife. Knocked the guy out and then noticed everyone freaking out. Went to the hospital and was told it was a miracle it missed his heart and lungs.

I've trained Kali/Escrima for twenty years. I've also been stabbed, once, a very long time ago. There is no way I'd try to fight someone who's armed with a blade unless my life depended on it. If someone pulled a knife and demanded my cash etc, I'd have handed over my wallet and phone before he finished the sentence.

That's a good idea. If you have time, wrap your forearms in you're shirt and use the book taped to your body prison method. Tie a shirt around r you're neck. A bat is a better weapon than a knife.

Back