Russians Win Purse Bid for Povetkin vs Wilder

Queen B

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lou Dibellas 5 million vs Povetkin 7 million

@danrafaelespn

Povetkin team wins Wilder purse bid: $7.15 million. DiBella only other bid offered $5,101.00.42. Wow! #boxing

Dibella bid on the behalf of Haymon money fund

I knew Russian billionaires would prevail.

The fight is happening!

So the fight is slated to be held in Russia? If yes, I can't see Wilder going there.

That's unfortunate. I sort of doubt we'll see this fight now.

Dont know how Russians feel about having a fight they paid 7 mil for in the USA

They can easily double that in Russia

If no Wilder, just take a second and look who's #2 for the title

I'm hearing that DiBella has hints that there is a real possibility of Wilder going to Russia. Either way, I just hope we see this fight.

Wilder's a bitch if he vacates his belt rather than fight in Povetkin's backyard.

yay we're only one or 2 more injury delays from the actual fight then?

I speculated from the begining that Wilder would vacate because of Quillin's similar situation, however that was Haymon sending a message to RocNation

I expect Wilder to go through with the fight even in Russia, people are suddenly making Povetkin out to be this destructive force that no one wants to fight, Wilder's chances are really good

Now we will see what Beyonce Wilder is made of... Will he vacate or fight in Russia?

Last edited:
Heard some unfounded rumours that Wilder will drop the belt rather than go to Russia. Probably nonsense. He should go there and fight Povetkin. Big test for him. Though....Povetkin is no spring chicken. He's what? 36...

Rofl.

The thing I enjoy most about situations like this, is that the same people who say "so and so is a bitch" are the same people who would defend their favorite fighters to the death if they chose not to go to their opponent.

Ryabinsky, Povetkin's promoter, bid $7.15 million while attorney Alex Dombroff, representing promoter Lou DiBella, who works with Wilder, offered $5,101.000.42.

Promoters of titleholders typically are at a significant advantage because their side is entitled to 70 percent of the money, but Ryabinsky won and now can force Wilder to travel to Russia for the fight.

DiBella said that contrary to rumors circulating, Wilder is not going to give up his title and will fight wherever Ryabinsky decides to stage the bout, though there is a chance he will elect to have the fight in the United States.

"We're very happy to fight for 70 percent of 7.15 million on our side," DiBella told ESPN. "There was never any chance that Deontay was going to vacate his title. The fight is happening. If they put the fight in Russia, then I hope [Russian President Vladimir] Putin can personally attend so he can watch 'Sasha' get knocked out."

Ryabinsky has 90 days to put on the bout and has until March 11 to inform the WBC and Wilder's camp of the date and site of the fight. Signed contracts must be returned to the WBC by March 17.

Had DiBella won the purse bid, the fight was going to be May 21 on Showtime and likely at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. Under a new rule announced by the WBC just hours before the purse bid took place, it said that rather than a 70-30 split of the total bid in favor of the titleholder, 10 percent of the winning bid will be put in escrow and paid as a bonus to the winner of the bout with the rest of the bid total being split 70-30.

That means 10 percent of the winning bid -- $715,000 -- will go into escrow, with Wilder entitled to at least $4,504,500, by far a career-high payday, and Povetkin getting at least $1,930,500.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/i...e-bid-deontay-wilder-alexander-povetkin-fight

Be like Rocky and fight in Moscow.

I think that would be great for his reputation. Put it on NBC early day time, or something compatible with the live Russian event.

I really dont see him vacating the titles. That would make him look so bad. Vacating because he is scared to face a much less imposing Ivan Drago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back