Russian Hooks

HitmanNO.1

Blue Belt
@Blue
Joined
Jul 30, 2004
Messages
671
Reaction score
0
We all see how much the striking styles of Igor, Fedor, and some of the other eastern european fighters differ from tradtional boxing punching techniques. Does anyone here practice and use their style of looping hooks in a fight? Ive tried them in my boxing gym when i just wanted to knock someone out. I came to a realization about them. They are sloppy and unorthodox to the boxer's eye. But in reality they work and hard to defend unless just cover up and take it. Any comments?
 
yeh , ur gonna get countered to pieces wen ur sparrin partners figure out the way u throw hooks.
 
Hand striking in MMA and boxing are different styles with differefnt stance and footwork.

In MMA you stand straighter to defend takedowns and to be able to shoot from setup punch.
With boxing you are more side on to reduce target area and you can keep you feet wider and starighter to make movemnt smaller with out fear of sweep ot low kick etc.

The pillowlike gloves in boxing make a dfference with the impact of the blow plus the ability to defend.

It's actually a broad topic.
 
There's lots of problems with Russian hooks in striking, but one of the biggest ones is that they are largely arm, so you better be strong as a bull if you want to throw them with impact, and don't expect to keep throwing them round after round because you'll get crazy exhausted. In general I think they just aren't suited for boxing, but work pretty well in MMA/street.

One of the big advantages they give you in MMA is that, being so much arm, you can throw them while lunging low and still connect with force. I.e., your footwork can be wrestling-oriented while you are striking.
 
Meh. The punch largely resembles a controlled haymaker that has been made effective by a few European fighters. I don't think it is time to alert the fighting press just yet. Any decently defensive fighter can see a "russian hook" coming and defend accordingly.
 
bck said:
Meh. The punch largely resembles a controlled haymaker that has been made effective by a few European fighters. I don't think it is time to alert the fighting press just yet. Any decently defensive fighter can see a "russian hook" coming and defend accordingly.


Huh, Nogueira- trained with national boxing team also ate russian hooks
Gary goodridge- K-1 champ knocked out by russian hooks from Igor and Fedor
Cro-cop- another K-1 champ couldn't find an answer to the russian hook in the fedor fight.
 
salboski said:
Huh, Nogueira- trained with national boxing team also ate russian hooks
Gary goodridge- K-1 champ knocked out by russian hooks from Igor and Fedor
Cro-cop- another K-1 champ couldn't find an answer to the russian hook in the fedor fight.

goodrige and cro cop were overwhelmed . fedor knew cro cop didnt deal well with pressure and used that knowledge to his advantage. nog landed a few clean shots on fedor but he doesnt have enough power to ko him with one shot.

look what fujita did to him with that 1 counterpunch.
 
Gary goodridge- K-1 champ knocked out by russian hooks from Igor and Fedor
Cro-cop- another K-1 champ couldn't find an answer to the russian hook in the fedor fight.

gary was not a k-1 champ when he fought fedor, he was just a "tough mma fighter that threw bombs", don't compare the gary of now to the gary that afought fedor. Fedor used straights against cro cop not russian hooks.
 
salboski said:
Huh, Nogueira- trained with national boxing team also ate russian hooks
Gary goodridge- K-1 champ knocked out by russian hooks from Igor and Fedor
Cro-cop- another K-1 champ couldn't find an answer to the russian hook in the fedor fight.




hmmmmmmmmm
 
Thats how my dad wants me to throw my hooks lol he is eastern european.
 
fedor's got no balance and punches like a girl for his size. come on now have you seen the highlight videos of his training? watch his shadowboxing
 
OpethDrums said:
fedor's got no balance and punches like a girl for his size. come on now have you seen the highlight videos of his training? watch his shadowboxing

Interesting statement...I disagree.

Headlines:

Pride HW Champ Punches like a Girl.

(insert pic of Herrings face)
 
Chad Hamilton said:
Interesting statement...I disagree.

Headlines:

Pride HW Champ Punches like a Girl.

(insert pic of Herrings face)

Yeah, he may throw russian hooks, but he punches hard.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
1,236,763
Messages
55,441,079
Members
174,774
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back
Top