• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

International Russia/Ukraine Megathread V15

Ukr before invasion literally mainly had 1992 th era level Mig 29 and Su. s.
So ofc they were inferiour vs even upgraded by russia Mig 29 and Su 27 etc.
Also their Su-25 for ground attacks were inferiour if compare with Azeri Su-25 [ cos laser tagging pods and a bit of other stuff ].

i think a few US companies started to tinker with adding US avionics to the su-27s and migs.

Air to air missiles don't really matter since the majority of plane losses on both sides are from ground based air defence systems. There are few opportunities for either side to get into range for air to air combat since they both have strong air defence systems which keep the planes well away from the front lines until a local sector has been suitably degraded. You're not going to get air superiority, area denial, or shoot down a bunch of Russian planes unless you have a way to take out hundreds of Russian Buk, Tor, Pantsir, and S-series launchers. In other words, the F-16s will need to carry out SEAD operations before they can even think about air to air, and while they're doing that they'll be getting shot at by both enemy planes and ground based missiles. The losses will not be pretty.

In operational terms, we need to define what we want to accomplish with the F-16s and how to get there. If Ukraine wants to turn things in their favour they need to stop the glide bombs and deny close air support along with taking out key targets such as artillery batteries, command bunkers, and other such strong points on the Russian side to keep Ukrainian ground forces from being bombed & shelled to Bolivia. Which means you need to get into range for dropping a shitload of glide bombs & missiles on the front lines along with shooting down Russian planes before they can drop their own glide bombs, you can't do that until Russian air defence systems have been suppressed or destroyed and local air superiority is achieved.

So first you need to take out Russian air defence systems, then their fighter jets, and finally you can do your own bombing and shooting down of Russian ground attack planes. Keep in mind that it took the Russian about 1.5 years to get to that stage, and they started with a larger & more capable air force than anything we can give the Ukrainians short of Raptors and F-35s, plus they were going up against a smaller, older, and less capable air force and air defence system than what the Russians currently have.
Liutyi strolls through these air defense systems on the reg.

Liutyi strolls through these air defense systems on the reg.

Dozens of drones get shot down for every one that makes it in. You'll run out of planes within a few days if you tried that.

Token amount if any, and poorly. It'll be like the M1 Abrams where something like 1/3 of them were lost in 3 months while accomplishing nothing. They've been talking about F-16 jets for over a year and still nothing, Mirage will be the same.
Ukraine had been supplied with 31 old export version Abrams from late 1980 ies....
For 1000 miles long frontline....

No one with a bit brains had considered them as wunderweapon....

Also liquidation usually was the same as for new russian T-90M version designed not for export.l
Mine to stop and arty/ drones on top to finish.
Nothing special.
The same will work on Armata too and against crude mines and simple arty .....all modern EW will be useless, while mine effect on tracks will be approx the same regardless T 34 or Armata....

Abrams didn't had been touted as superweapon....pretty opposite, had been opinions that they are too heavy for old small soviet era bridges and trailers used for tanks transport used by Ukr before war ....were designed to transport tanks with weight lesser than 60 tons.

Yes, had been mentioned that they does have good crew surviablity if compare with T using autoloader, better optics etc... therefore in fight tank vs tank from frontal position might have some advantage.
Also ofc if used to be tool for ambush.

I actually long ago get that you are Chamberlain type person and for shake of your short term comfort might agree not only to advise Ukraine to surround....and Moldova too.
Also sorry for reality you will " sell " also Germany , Austria, Poland etc.. .
Especially if Russis will use meat in form of mobilised ukrainians. .
Nothing wrong, history does repeat.
Remember how nice were bombs dropped in London by comrade Hitler? After peaceful selling....

i think a few US companies started to tinker with adding US avionics to the su-27s and migs.
This might be cool cos their airplanes are old and mainly with outdated avionics , while russia had modernised their Mig 29 multiple times: under Gorbachov, Yeltsin and later under Putin.

France looks that managed to modify pylons in order to allow Su 24 launch SCALP and these 250 kg gliding bombs and Mig 29 pylons to launch these 250 kg gliding bombs.

Dozens of drones get shot down for every one that makes it in. You'll run out of planes within a few days if you tried that.
With the radar cross section of a bus there shouldn't be any making it through.

There was a hilarious video released this week: a Russian tank, so heavily armoured most drones would simply bounce off, rolling down a track. Unfortunately, the Orcs forgot to close the hatch on the tank's hull. Cue a Ukrainian drone operator going Full Skywalker and sending the drone right down the hatch.

The whole tank went up in flames, and I nearly soiled myself from laughing so hard.

<Dany07>

There was a hilarious video released this week: a Russian tank, so heavily armoured most drones would simply bounce off, rolling down a track. Unfortunately, the Orcs forgot to close the hatch on the tank's hull. Cue a Ukrainian drone operator going Full Skywalker and sending the drone right down the hatch.

The whole tank went up in flames, and I nearly soiled myself from laughing so hard.

<Dany07>
I know it's wrong to have a favorite war footage.

But it's this:

Russians not selling jets anymore lol too bad. India f up badly now wants US fighter jets good luck with your 30 to 40 year old US jets while NATO and South Korea rock F35 jets an to you Saudi Arabia you too get old jets.

For Putin very good might be if in elections in Moldova will win far right, far left or pro kremlin oriented politician.
Then will be almost warranted that Moldova will not be in EU during next 3-4 years....and a lot of chances slowly to get Belarus No2 with Lukashenko No2 via soft annexion.....
Even meat will not be needed to hire then....

Russians not selling jets anymore lol too bad. India f up badly now wants US fighter jets good luck with your 30 to 40 year old US jets while NATO and South Korea rock F35 jets an to you Saudi Arabia you too get old jets.

Just another reason why things will slowly implode on Putler.

Back