Russia has officially created a foreign legion

ZroC

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
This happened much sooner than I expected, but I mentioned in another thread that the use of foreign mercs in the Ukraine would likely act as the precursor to the creation of a Russian foreign legion. They say 154,000 people have joined already. I doubt that. The French foreign legion is one of the most over recruited factions in the world and they get something like 10,000 applicants in the year and reject 80% of them. Although it will be interertsting to see if the FFL's recruitment rates start dropping.

What's interesting as well is that these recruits are taken on as contractors and don't seem to be considered part of the main army. By comparison the French today treat the legion as just another branch of the army.

http://rt.com/news/219563-putin-army-foreigners-contractors/

The same decree also allows Ukrainians, specifically Crimeans, join their army.

Last edited:
150,000??? wtf? from where?

I doubt it's true, but if it is, it's possible they're now counting some of the foreigners who joined in 2010 as part of their new foreign legion. Russia has allowed foreigners join their army since 2010, but there was no distinction between them and the regular army. Just take the ones that are already there and throw them into the new pot.

154,000 is the number of conscripts that got drafted, derp.

154,000 is the number of conscripts that got drafted, derp.

Ah so it's the total number who joined the army as a whole. I read it wrong.

The idea of Russian having a foreign legion similar to the FFL is worrying.....

The same decree also allows Ukrainians, specifically Crimeans, join their army.

There is no Crimean nationality. It recognizes Ukrainian military service.

It could possibly allow the Russian-supported Ukrainian separatists to be absorbed into the regular Russian military.

The idea of Russian having a foreign legion similar to the FFL is worrying.....

I wanna see who gets the better uniform. I don't think the FFL is hard to beat.

pd600770.jpg

stock-photo-paris-france-july-french-foreign-legion-at-a-military-parade-defile-in-the-republic-day-108845978.jpg

Foreign legions don't have the best track record for uniforms

c6dfb6b1688200d35a44e91f4a7fb295.jpg

The French foreign legion is one of the most over recruited factions in the world and they get something like 10,000 applicants in the year and reject 80% of them. Although it will be interertsting to see if the FFL's recruitment rates start dropping.

That's crazy they're actually turning people away now. I remember hearing how they'd get guys drunk in bars to get them to sign up.

That's crazy they're actually turning people away now. I remember hearing how they'd get guys drunk in bars to get them to sign up.

Yeah between trying to kill Charles De Gaulle and the collapse of the French colonies they've been downsized drastically.

What's also interesting about Russia doing this is that the original FL was created so France could better manage their colonial ambitions. The idea being France could have an infinite supply of disposable foreigners so French people didn't have to die for their own colonial ambitions (one of the reasons French are considered cowards.) So it seems rather telling Russia would create something similar at this moment in time and might say a lot about Putin's future plans.

With 154k it seems like they now have a monopoly on foreign legions.

After what happened in the Ukraine, they deserve the sanctions they were served

Back