Running

fightclub1005

White Belt
Reaction score
For helping me last long in the ring without getting tired as quicky as i am would you do sprints or running long distances, or even both?

I do not do any LSD running and only HIIT sprints.

This is mainly because I have a compressed training schedule and want to get the biggest bang for my buck.

So sprints would allow me to last longer in the ring w/o getting tired?

Also i would be sprinting up a hill i heard that helps with your lungs and lasting longer in the ring...

What he said

Also, running up hills is what gets you strong.

A good compromise I'm beginning to think is a 30 min course that has plenty of hills as well as some flats. Sprint up the hills as hard as you can, run around the flat bits at a decent pace (sub 6 min 30 per mile) and run hard down the slopes, letting the hill take you so you rest the legs but work the lungs hard still.

Theres something mentally forging about going for a 45 min run that goes up and down dale.

HIIT is always good though (but a pain in the arse when done on hills)

What he said

Also, running up hills is what gets you strong.

A good compromise I'm beginning to think is a 30 min course that has plenty of hills as well as some flats. Sprint up the hills as hard as you can, run around the flat bits at a decent pace (sub 6 min 30 per mile) and run hard down the slopes, letting the hill take you so you rest the legs but work the lungs hard still.

Theres something mentally forging about going for a 45 min run that goes up and down dale.

HIIT is always good though (but a pain in the arse when done on hills)

No shit. I tried this the other day and was NOT ready for it.

Both are good. I think the benefits of LSD running is under appreciated around here at times.

Both are good. I think the benefits of LSD running is under appreciated around here at times.

it definatly is. i try and add both jogging and sprints into cardio. some days i just do a good 2 mile run other days i do hill sprints another thing i do is a 2/3 mile run with about 10 good sprints. i run fo a few mins then sprint hard as i can for approx 100 m then slow down to a jog till my breathing recovers and sprint again.

IMO if your leaving one or the other out of your training your missing out on somthing. especially for beginners i think getting a good base from jogging is a must and i think there is little to gain and huge risk of injury for guys who are just starting and going straight to sprints.

I use to run track (least season) and i tough there was something diffrent you can add for staying alive longer in the ring w/o getting tired..

So sprints would allow me to last longer in the ring w/o getting tired?

Also i would be sprinting up a hill i heard that helps with your lungs and lasting longer in the ring...

Interval training would definitely be the way to go for your cardio/gas tank, speed and explosiveness. A while ago I was running 5-miles every other day at 5-MPH on a treadmill with a 1-2% incline and it started to get a little easy so I replaced it with an interval.

5.0-MPH [5-minutes] -- warmup
6.0-MPH [1-minute]
9.0-MPH [3-minutes] -- Repeat 6.0-MPH/9.0-MPH 5-times [20-minutes]
5.0-MPH [1-minute] -- cooldown
4.0-MPH [1-minute] -- cooldown
3.0-MPH [3-minutes] -- walking speed

This was easily 2x harder than a straight 5-mile jog at a constant rate!

I would consider sprinting up a hill interval training so keep that up. Do you have any training partners? Try sprinting up a hill with one of them on your back.

No shit. I tried this the other day and was NOT ready for it.

Its fun isn't it

It starts off with pain in your lungs, then, the pain shifts to your legs and then by the end for me anyway its just like complete leg muscle failure with sucking breaths to try and remove the lactic)

As I can only jog half a lap at the moment, my version of hiit is jogging and walking, lmao.

Here's a great treadmill workout I got from reading Bas Rutten. I do it once a week. (Also once each week: hill repeats, interval, LSD).

5 minutes at speed 5 (12 min/mile pace)
5 minutes at speed 6*
5 minutes at speed 7*
5 minutes at speed 8*
5 minutes at speed 9*
5 minutes at speed 10 (6 minute/mile pace)

*I don't recall what the pace is at each level in between. But it gets faster quickly. So far, I haven't been able to do all 5 minutes at the highest speed, but I've worked up to 3 minutes; in a couple months, hopefully, I'll be able to do the whole thing as prescribed.

Back