Running in deepsnow

Lard-ass

Sodomizer
Reaction score
Some of you surely has done this already but...

Just tried out a new thing today, running I deepsnow.
Damn that was hard running when sinking up till your knees in snow.

My new favorite cardio workout.

Im not jealous of you darn eskimo..;) The snow is just starting to smelt in my part...:p

I really felt like rocky doing it. Other than that it is a lot harder then normal running

just make sure you know the terrain. You don't want to hit a pocket and fall through. Or hit a large rock, falled tree etc and wreck your legs.

It sometimes snow a lot where I live and I ahve a big yard around my house that is good for running. It is on a hill and over 1/4 miles around. We haven't had any really deep snows yet since I got back this year, but last year we had some knee deep snows that were awesome for running. It is a great workout. You can also try just walking in it if you put on a heavy pack, which I have been trying out this year since the snow hasn't been as deep.

Also, I go sledding with my little cousins in it and hiking with them when they come up from the city, and they are just the right size to get pulled up the hill at a running pace (which they like too) or on long hikes when their little legs get tired, they can add some extra weight for me.

Deep snow is good.

Yeah, I'm in Buffalo, which is known for deep snow. It's the middle of January and not a flake on the ground. It raining out...creepy warm.

Well, I just ran a couple of lapses around a usual soccerfield thats covered in snow in the winter. So no danger in stepping on rocks or into hidden holes in the ground... There are some advantages with living up north :D.

Well your feet doesnt freeze if you run, just if you stand still. And If you just run an hour or less and straight home is ok. I run in usual running shoes.

el manuel said:
I really felt like rocky doing it. Other than that it is a lot harder then normal running

anytime i watch rocky then i do the same work out as him i feel like him lol

Lard-ass said:
Some of you surely has done this already but...

Just tried out a new thing today, running I deepsnow.
Damn that was hard running when sinking up till your knees in snow.

My new favorite cardio workout.

Since you have to pick up your legs more, you use hip flexors you wouldn't normaly use in running.

I haven't tried running in deep snow before, but I know running in the pool (with a flotation device around your waist) is pretty effective. And not nearly as cold.

Hmm, sounds hardcore, but wouldn't the cold on the feet and legs increase the chances of pulling tendons and/or a muscle?

Grady said:
Hmm, sounds hardcore, but wouldn't the cold on the feet and legs increase the chances of pulling tendons and/or a muscle?

The only thing that gets a little cold is your ankles. So my guess the chances of pulling a muscle from that are slim. Did a 20 min deepsnow run this morning, ah excellent.

Have done this in high school great workout but I ran into problems with my hip that still bother me today. Dont know if it was the resistance or the change in angle but severe pain at the time.

dragon_21 said:
Have done this in high school great workout but I ran into problems with my hip that still bother me today. Dont know if it was the resistance or the change in angle but severe pain at the time.

Hip flexors are too tight, or imbalance in the muscles, which can cause tightness.

I've never even seen snow, Wouldn't that be cold as fuck and the cold hurt your lungs. We run in sand here in Florida. I guess you guys get frost bite while we get tan.

IMustBreakYou said:
I've never even seen snow, Wouldn't that be cold as fuck and the cold hurt your lungs. We run in sand here in Florida. I guess you guys get frost bite while we get tan.

Real cold like the negatives you need to breath through something.

Back