• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rumor: Sony Planning NIGHTWATCH Movie with Spike Lee Possibly Directing

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: September 2, 2017

Rumor: Sony Developing NIGHTWATCH Movie with Spike Lee Possibly Directing

VZSomWP.jpg

It looks like Sony could be adding yet another Marvel Comics character to its cinematic universe.

A new rumor - courtesy of Meet the Movie Press' Jeff Sneider - suggests that Sony is planning on developing a Nightwatch solo film. Sneider is reportedly "very confident" in the rumor, and went on to say that Edward Ricourt (Now You See Me, Wayward Pines) is penning the script. He then added an unconfirmed bit of info - that director Spike (Do the Right Thing, Oldboy) is being eyed to direct.

A Nightwatch film would follow the story of Dr. Kevin Trench, who gets sucked into the world of superheroismafter being saved by an older version of himself. When donning the Nightwatch costume, he is given enhanced abilities, as well as shapeshifting and invisibility.

The news of a Nightwatch film is sure to surprise some Marvel fans, as the character has only had a small number of comic appearances. He did garner his own short-lived comic series in the 90s, but many attribute its failure to Nightwatch's similarities to Spawn. (Coincidentally, a new live-action Spawn movie is also in development.)

Marvel's Nightwatch Movie Rumored From Sony With Spike Lee Possibly Directing

Ah, I see Sony is competing with Warner Bros./DC for the "throw-everything-against-the-wall-and-see-if-it-sticks" approach.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-9571-1379600441-0.gif

For a moment I thought they were remaking the Russian film Night Watch and shit almost went down.

We want to get this big property off the ground so let's bring in the guy who is box office poison. . .

Ah, I see Sony is competing with Warner Bros./DC for the "throw-everything-against-the-wall-and-see-if-it-sticks" approach.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-9571-1379600441-0.gif

I have no problem with that approach.

I'm weird, I even enjoy super hero movies that are objectively bad. And good ones? Christmas.

How the fuck does this guy keep getting work?

"Do The Right Thing" was looooong time ago, Hollywood.

How the fuck does this guy keep getting work?

"Do The Right Thing" was looooong time ago, Hollywood.

His stuff has to be finding life on DVD or something.

For what it's worth, I did think that Chi-Raq was an interesting film. It did terribly at the box office though.

Update: July 21, 2017

SPAWN Movie Officially Announced with Todd MacFarlane to Write and Direct

MUg5Wpj.jpg

Todd McFarlane has found a home for his forthcoming Spawn movie, the Image Comics co-founder announced today.

The movie -- which McFarlane has said will be a horror-focused movie with a budget in the neighborhood of $10 million -- is headed to Blumhouse, the studio known for films like The Purge, Paranormal Activity, and The Belko Experiment. McFarlane will direct.

"Having worked with many visionary directors, I think Todd's unique artistic talents will only add to his role as director of this film," said Blumhouse chief Jason Blum.

McFarlane has written the first draft of the screenplay, which the announcement for the movie described as a "dark exploration of one of comics’ most popular characters." McFarlane is known for reinventing the look of Spider-Man as well as co-creating the Venom character for Marvel Comics.

McFarlane has been working on a script and teasing a revival of the Spawn franchise for years. The previous film iteration starred Michael Jai White and was released in 1998. It was critically panned, earning just 18% on Rotten Tomatoes. While that version of the movie looked and felt like a superhero film, the new Spawn will be decidedly less so.

Spawn Movie Reboot Officially Announced with Todd MacFarlane to Write and Direct

don't even remember this spawn knockoff

I have no problem with that approach.

I'm weird, I even enjoy super hero movies that are objectively bad. And good ones? Christmas.
Do you watch Adventures in Babysitting just for Thor's part?

One day there's going to be a knock off Hell Boy movie.
Hellboy IS the knockoff.

Blue Devil > Hellboy (Sorry, Rama)

4df95ceb6ffc81929f9666dfd20102da.jpg

I'm just kidding, Rama. Hellboy rules!

Last edited:
His stuff has to be finding life on DVD or something.

For what it's worth, I did think that Chi-Raq was an interesting film. It did terribly at the box office though.

He's never exactly been a BO juggernaut, but even creatively he's been lacking since his glory days.

I just don't know why he's even a big name in Hollywood anymore, who would be trusted with such a big money project. He hasn't done anything of note for decades. He's just a staple I guess. May as well announce Micheal Moore as a director of one of these flicks.

Back