• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies Rumor: Marvel Studios Regains FANTASTIC FOUR Movie Rights

Before superhero movies came in to fill the void, blockbusters were rehashes of Transformers, Die Hard, Robocop, etc. Talk about a lack of originality. There's a big misconception that Marvel movies displaced other good movies. They're displacing stuff like that new king arthur movie, the new mediocre alien movie, Die Hard 15, Transformers 8, Alien Invasion Independence Day Knockoff #15 etc.

I'd rather watch the Marvel movies than any of that crap. We got 30 years of Michael Bay explosion fest movies. It's our turn as superhero fans.

I don't want all that either. I want interesting big-budget films like Inception, Pacific Rim and Everest.

You see, the studios have proven that they CAN do that if they try. It's just that they so rarely seem to try.

My god can you imagine Galactus and Dr. Doom done right? The other heralds. A crossover with the Hulk, maybe a WWH type movie? The Beyonder, Kang, Mole Man, Namor, The Kree and Skrulls, Silver Surfer, The Phantom Zone, etc. etc. At least a half dozen movies worth of material. Team ups with the Avengers and GOTG, maybe a version of the Annihilation Event. The possibilities are endless and none of the good stuff has been done because fox is garbage!
Done right, they could string together 6-7 amazing F.F. films without much redundancy.
- Mole Man
- Namor
- Negative Zone
- Galactus/ Surfer/ Beyonder
- Skrull/ Kree
- Inhumans (shame we were this close and they made the tv show).
- Diablo/ Mad Thinker/ Wizard
- DOOM!

byrne-ff-30.jpg

Well I think that's just it, there's NOT enough variety to go around. Four of the top grossing movies last year were superhero films (and then one Star Wars film, four animated films and The Jungle book). And that's largely because these films are just DOMINATING the blockbuster landscape right now.

Seriously, go look. What other big summer movies were there last year? Independence Day 2 and I guess Warcraft are all that come to mind, so one sequel and some shit about a computer game.

If you really feel like you were well fed on big-budget non-superhero movies in 2016 then I can only conclude that your appetite is quite small.
Yes, almost half of the top grossing films for last year were comic book movies. But that fact doesn't have any relation to my earlier statement that I also watch and like other movies as well.

As for variety of big summer movies of 2016, there were plenty of non-superhero movies that came out last year, they just weren't that good. I don't know why you're blaming superhero movies for other movies' failures. If it weren't for superhero movies, the box office total for last year would have been even lower.

Though I was disappointed with some of the 2016 summer movies after seeing them, it doesn't mean that it's the end of the world. Not every year is going to be great. Plus, most of the better movies are not found on summer.

Yes, the top grossing films for last year were mostly comic book movies. But that fact doesn't have any relation to my earlier statement that I also watch and like other movies as well.

As for variety of big summer movies of 2016, there were plenty of non-superhero movies that came out last year, they just weren't that good. I don't know why you're blaming superhero movies for other movies' failures.

Though I was disappointed with some of the 2016 summer movies after seeing them, it doesn't mean that it's the end of the world. Not every year is going to be great. Plus, most of the better movies are not found on summer.

Stan Lee didn't force the Alien cast to not wear masks on a foreign planet.

I did back in 2012.

Update: July 14, 2012

Dragonlord's Fantasy Casting Vol. 2.1: FANTASTIC FOUR

With 20th Century Fox fast-tracking their Fantastic Four reboot (lest the rights revert back to Marvel) and attaching Chronicle director Josh Trank to helm the project, I thought it would be fun to play casting director.

I already mapped out my FF quadrilogy with the Mole Man being the villain in the first movie, just like in their comic book origins. Doctor Doom would make an appearance but would only be the main villain in the second movie. Namor would be the main antagonist in the third movie centering on the Atlantis invasion.

Aside from their acting talent, age was also a factor in my casting choice as these actors have to portray the same characters for a number of years. So without further adieu, here's my dream casting for the FF movie:

e0frs6.jpg

2ijitsw.jpg

keyc74.jpg

se3gux.jpg

28v54io.jpg

2yphquc.jpg
I think this will always be my favorite casting of yours.

Stan Lee didn't force the Alien cast to not wear masks on a foreign planet.
Or force someone to look closer at a suspicious egg even when the crazy android has admitted in creating dangerous organisms and even clearly stated that he only needed one crucial element in completing his perfect monster.

Fantastic 4 as a concept has always been wack.

It's a stretchy man, an invisible chick, a human torch (one of the stupidest nicknames in hero history, and a bootleg Hulk named 'The Thing" (Dumbest name in hero history). Don't even get me started on their weird ass overpowered babies.

Dr. Doom is the best thing about that shit franchise.

Reed Richards is somewhat interesting, being the smartest man in the universe, or one of them at least, but not interesting enough for me to wanna watch another Fantastic 4 flick.

Just give me the Incredibles 2, please, and thanks.
If you like the Incredibles, and I know you do... then you know the FF isn't whack; they were just the victim of a whack studio.
They are not an easy franchise to deal with. Its all about the chemistry and the story with these guys. Can't half ass it and hope cgi will fill in the cracks

Yes, the top grossing films for last year were mostly comic book movies. But that fact doesn't have any relation to my earlier statement that I also watch and like other movies as well.

As for variety of big summer movies of 2016, there were plenty of non-superhero movies that came out last year, they just weren't that good. I don't know why you're blaming superhero movies for other movies' failures. If it weren't for superhero movies, the box office total for last year would have been even lower.

I'm not saying there weren't other kinds of movies. I'm saying that there wasn't much else in terms of blockbusters.

Maybe I want to go see a big, loud, effects-laden movie, but I'm tired of assholes in masks with fantasy powers. What are my options? It seems those options are progressively drying up.

I don't want all that either. I want interesting big-budget films like Inception, Pacific Rim and Everest.

You see, the studios have proven that they CAN do that if they try. It's just that they so rarely seem to try.

Well I'm just pointing out these marvel movies aren't natural competition to dramas or other "serious" movies. They're competition to other big summer blockbusters. Outside of marvel, who is making a good summer blockbuster that isn't a tired rehash of an old property anymore? They've even pushed the envelope in some of these movies. The Captain America movies in particular are some high quality films that actually have storytelling and a real plot going on besides Super Punches.

Marvel isn't stopping them from taking risks. Hollywood being run by a bunch of old fossils that want to put their hands in everything and turn every movie into a "safe" corporate investment is killing moviemaking. There's a reason a lot of directors are fleeing to Netflix. Look how horrible the dc movies are because they micromanage everything. The problem you're pointing to is real but it isn't caused by marvel movies, it's caused by out of touch suits putting too many cooks in the kitchen. And trying to squeeze every dollar out of everything, hence three hobbit movies or Die Hard 8. People are sick of that, which is why these movies are bombing.

Whether you're into super heroes or not, marvel takes risks. GOTG, Doctor Strange, and Ant Man were huge risks that a lot of people said would be failures.

I don't even find the Fantastic Four interesting in general. You got a rock man, fire man, invisible woman, and stretch armstrong. It just makes a lame team.
Did you like the Incredibles? Think a mature version of that (because everybody is an adult) meets Guardians of the Galaxy with the best villains the MCU has to offer.

Well I'm just pointing out these marvel movies aren't natural competition to dramas or other "serious" movies. They're competition to other big summer blockbusters. Outside of marvel, who is making a good summer blockbuster that isn't a tired rehash of an old property anymore? They've even pushed the envelope in some of these movies. The Captain America movies in particular are some high quality films that actually have storytelling and a real plot going on besides Super Punches.

Marvel isn't stopping them from taking risks. Hollywood being run by a bunch of old fossils that want to put their hands in everything and turn every movie into a "safe" corporate investment is killing moviemaking. There's a reason a lot of directors are fleeing to Netflix. Look how horrible the dc movies are because they micromanage everything. The problem you're pointing to is real but it isn't caused by marvel movies, it's caused by out of touch suits putting too many cooks in the kitchen. And trying to squeeze every dollar out of everything, hence three hobbit movies or Die Hard 8. People are sick of that, which is why these movies are bombing.

Whether you're into super heroes or not, marvel takes risks. GOTG, Doctor Strange, and Ant Man were huge risks that a lot of people said would be failures.

Here's the deal: I was enjoying the first wave of superhero films. But this was before we as s culture had been deluged with them.

They are now PART OF the war on originality, just like the next Die Hard movie is. After three Captain Americas, three Iron Mans, two Avengers films, 15 fucking Spider-Man movies and all the other shit, I'm like GTFO.

Enough is enough.

I do want some fun popcorn movies to go watch at the theater, but I'd like more choices than just Iron Man 6 or Ant Man 4.

I'm not saying there weren't other kinds of movies. I'm saying that there wasn't much else in terms of blockbusters.

Maybe I want to go see a big, loud, effects-laden movie, but I'm tired of assholes in masks with fantasy powers. What are my options? It seems those options are progressively drying up.
Again, blaming superhero movies is not the answer. It's the public and the other sucky non-superhero blockbuster movies you should be blaming.

Dredd came out and the public didn't go out and see it. There's a general fallacy that the movie didn't get enough marketing. This is not true. There were plenty of promos that were released. Me and Pinoy Ninja heavily promoted Dredd in this forum before the movie came out and there was little interest at that time.

Pacific Rim and Edge of Tomorrow were awesome but the general public didn't go see it in droves and the result was a weak domestic box office total. It's a miracle we are even getting sequels for the two films.

Again, I'm saying there were PLENTY of big, loud non-superhero movie that came out last year, most of them just were not that good.

People don't realize that that the super hero genre picked up where the action movies could no longer go.

Action movies where getting so extreme that few could suspend belief anymore and get into or believe the action scenes as being pulled off by normal human beings. Thus enter super humans. Suddenly where John McCain stopped they could go and you could go with them because they were SUPER human.

Comic book fatigue will happen when every fight is an uber level fight. Superman prime, Thanos with the Gauntlet, Rune King Thor, etc and fans just keep seeing the same unbeatable hero's versus seemingly unbeatable villains. John McCain facing 100 enemies with his hand gun and winning.

that is why i am often at odds on this site with comic book fans who seem to think the MSU should simply pick up where the comics left off at peek levels and they hate that hero's are still growing into their power. That makes the most sense for the MCU just as it built up over time in the comics. The further away we are from a squirrel girl needed rest in the MCU the better. As that is the end of the comic book movies.

tdy_joe_mccain_150720.today-inline-vid-featured-desktop.jpg

It seems to me that many members of the general public are starting to fall victim of superhero fatigue. I am expecting more and more of these films to start under-performing as moviegoers, instead of indiscriminately going to see everything with the Marvel name on it, start being more selective regarding what they choose to spend their money on.

GotG 2 will soon surpass the first movie and become a top 5 highest grossing MCU movie. On the other side, Deadpool did really well because it hit the right notes while Apocalypse didn't do that well because it failed to hit the right notes. Suicide Squad did well considering it's not a very good movie.

Well that is to say that with action movies you keep having to push the limit farther and farther. A good STORY is really what's important. People don't just want action for action's sake. It's also about how the action furthers the plot.

The last 2 Transformers movies did over $1B each worldwide. The Fast and the Furious movies don't have the greatest plots, but they've been raking in money. Furious 7 took in over $1.5B worldwide.

Again, blaming superhero movies is not the answer. It's the public and the other sucky non-superhero blockbuster movies you should be blaming.

Dredd came out and the public didn't go out and see it. There's a general fallacy that the movie didn't get enough marketing. This is not true. There were plenty of promos that were released. Me and Pinoy Ninja heavily promoted Dredd in this forum before the movie came out and there was little interest at that time.

Pacific Rim and Edge of Tomorrow were awesome but the general public didn't go see it in droves and the result was a weak domestic box office total. It's a miracle we are even getting sequels for the two films.

Again, I'm saying there were PLENTY of big, loud non-superhero movie that came out last year, most of them just were not that good.

Oh, I do blame the public. I know it's the fault of people voting with their dollars.

But at least in the past we were given the CHANCE to make our voice heard by going to see something else.

How many of those chances did we have last year? How many do we have this year?

This year, off the top of my head, the only big-budget movie I can think of that's not based on an existing property is Geostorm.

Oh, I do blame the public. I know it's the fault of people voting with their dollars.

But at least in the past we were given the CHANCE to make our voice heard by going to see something else.

How many of those chances did we have last year? How many do we have this year?

Blame Hollywood. They mostly make shit movies.

Back