Rumor: Floyd vs Pacquiao May '17 & Floyd vs Garcia Sep '17

Ok let's say I misunderstood. If he weighed 150 fight night then what was Cotto weighing fight night? I know this is a forum but everything doesn't have to be a debate you're trying to win. Cotto is clearly the bigger fighter so you ask him for a catchweight so he doesn't outweigh you by 20 pounds in the ring. I don't think it was a big controversy.

Pacquiao: 148
Cotto: 160

Cotto is a much bigger guy, that's not really debatable. But do guys really need a catchweight any time they fight someone bigger than them? In every fight one of the guys is bigger, and sometimes that size difference is pretty substantial. I don't think 12 pounds is enough to need a catchweight. I don't blame him for asking though, since he was definitely quite a bit smaller.

Manny Pacquiao has hardly gained any weight since he was 27 years old. He weighed 144 pounds in the ring against Morales at age 27, and he's hovered in the 140's ever since. He only weighed above 148 one time in his entire career in the ring (against Marquez the 4th time).

On fight night against Cotto, Pacquiao was 148 pounds (Cotto was 160). In the fight before that, he weighed in at 138 to fight Hatton but rehydrated to 148. So it was the same exact Manny Pacquiao in both fights, except for the weight cut. 140 Manny Pacquiao and 147 Manny Pacquiao were the same exact guy, no superhuman weight gain.

This is a good video for seeing all of his weights.

He really did not need catchweights against welterweights, but it was not heavily criticized because he was still a much smaller guy than Cotto. The catchweight against Margarito made sense to me though, because the size differential was pretty crazy.

I don't see why people just don't want to admit he's fought bigger guys.

Pacquiao: 148
Cotto: 160

Cotto is a much bigger guy, that's not really debatable. But do guys really need a catchweight any time they fight someone bigger than them? In every fight one of the guys is bigger, and sometimes that size difference is pretty substantial. I don't think 12 pounds is enough to need a catchweight. I don't blame him for asking though, since he was definitely quite a bit smaller.
True, would be nice to have a crystal ball and know what Cotto's weight would have been if he cut two pounds less.

They weren't the same situation. Canelo asked for 150 at one point, Floyd said "OK, 150" a while later. Canelo said he couldn't make 150 anymore so they agreed on 150.

Cotto was on record saying he couldn't make 147 anymore and then Pac asked him for 146.

Either way, everyone agreed, so I have no problem with it. We got the fights. The stars got the advantage they were looking for.
I meant to say 152 is the weight they agreed on.

Ok let's say I misunderstood. If he weighed 150 fight night then what was Cotto weighing fight night? I know this is a forum but everything doesn't have to be a debate you're trying to win. Cotto is clearly the bigger fighter so you ask him for a catchweight so he doesn't outweigh you by 20 pounds in the ring. I don't think it was a big controversy.

Edited to add I didn't mean 150 for the Cotto fight, I meant for fights prior to the Cotto fight.

Pac might of started off small but hes not a small fighter. His calves and head make up half his weight lol.

Bro i dont enter in debates to lose. Im always trying to win lol

Pac might of started off small but hes not a small fighter. His calves and head make up half his weight lol.

I know I've expressed this many times but I just can't say how jealous I am of pacs calves

Lol, I've noticed, but I guess that's natural. It's not like we're lawyers defending someone on death row though.

We'd clear up a lot of these "debates" if they had official weigh-ins just before the fight. Even if just to know, though it would be nice if they limited how much extra weight you could pack on.

I know this is a forum but everything doesn't have to be a debate you're trying to win.
I don't get the mentality behind this. Why do people keep saying this lately? There's a difference of opinion here. He's not going to fold on his argument because you are annoyed about it.

Plus everyone who says it immediately follows it up by continuing with their argument.

I don't get the mentality behind this. Why do people keep saying this lately? There's a difference of opinion here. He's not going to fold on his argument because you are annoyed about it.

Plus everyone who says it immediately follows it up by continuing with their argument.
Good point. Sometimes people seem to shift the goalposts to keep from admitting they were wrong or weakening an argument they are making. I think Jenks is the first guy I've seen on here apologize. Some guys seem incapable of even admitting when they are wrong.

Last edited:
Lol, I've noticed, but I guess that's natural. It's not like we're lawyers defending someone on death row though.

We'd clear up a lot of these "debates" if they had official weigh-ins just before the fight. Even if just to know, though it would be nice if they limited how much extra weight you could pack on.

well i doubt thats gonna happen anytime soon because the new fad is for the bigger guys to fight smaller guys. I really hate that. I mean if they were calling out the best of a division below i might be ok with it but this shit of just fighting smaller guys is for the birds

Back