Rumina Sato or Gomi?

does he miss osme teeth?

That is pretty funny, but not true.

Yes, Rumina is a good grappler, but in the real world, NO ONE really pays attanetion to the Japanese organization Combat Wrestling, and nearly all top grapplers think Abu Dhabi is the pinnacle of submission grappling.

Combat Wrestling = ??? (by most people) and therefore,

Abu Dhabi > Combat Wrestling

Masakatsu Funaki #1 said:

Sorry, I should I added a IMO to the end of that.

Combat Wrestling > Abu Dhabi Bull Crap IMO

Abu Dhabi is more competitive and has better all round talent, but combat wrestling is fun. Afterall, they are both the same sport. Don't drag out the thread with a which is better than what - It's apples and apples.

I like combat wrestling more, but it's popularity pales in comparison to Abu Dhabi's.

I can't even find a website for the Combat Wrestling league.

John O'Brien said:
Abu Dhabi is more competitive and has better all round talent, but combat wrestling is fun. Afterall, they are both the same sport. Don't drag out the thread with a which is better than what - It's apples and apples.

Yes, they are both fun. But I would point out that nearly no one knows about Combat wrestling outside of Japan. The only reason I know about it is because I lived in Japan and did know a few people interested in it. It is really a side-project for a lot people there who are trying to keep their grappling skills up. Yes, it is fun to watch, especially when Rumina was champ. That is where I first saw his flying armbar.

Soulfly said:
I like combat wrestling more, but it's popularity pales in comparison to Abu Dhabi's.

I can't even find a website for the Combat Wrestling league.

That is because there is no Combat Wrestling league any longer, if I am not mistaken. I heard that they had their last official tournament in 2001.

Correct me if I am wrong.

tequilaman said:
That is because there is no Combat Wrestling league any longer, if I am not mistaken. I heard that they had their last official tournament in 2001.

Ahh $#!T are you serious? Hmm.. I wonder if there are any other leagues that are like it.

That is awesome footage man!
I dont know how they would fare against the closed guard game but by the looks of it they would be very tough from control positions.
I enjoyed how the cradle was turned into a neck crank and he got the tap from it.

I like these rules quite a bit. i noticed that a pin scored but did not end the match. I couldnt tell from the clips but it looked like once the total pin points were accumulated that they were re-started from a standing position.
I am jealous I wish I could learn to sub grapple like that.

The 1st set of footage was dated 95 I think. It is interesting to see an option to BJJ.
Can you imagine if someone like Randy C was proficient in something like this?

How many times has Sato been in ADCC? whatever it is its more than Gomi. I think there sub skills are pretty even though.

tequilaman said:

Not true at all. Kiguchi still runs Combat Wrestling tournaments all the time in Japan. Some of the Gomi/Sato matches are from the 2002 tournament in fact.

http://www02.so-net.ne.jp/~wrestlek/
Thats the official site. Its rarley ever update, but it does have info regarding rules,etc. If you go to the Japan board on mma.tv, the usually have updates on the upcoming Combat Wrestling tournaments that are coming up also. CW is still going strong and will always be. Its one of the few TRUE links left to Catch Wrestling.

Sato nor Gomi did very well in the Abu Dhabis, could it be that the competition is better?

Stooge said:
Sato nor Gomi did very well in the Abu Dhabis, could it be that the competition is better?
It could be because the rules are geared toward BJJ, while Sato and Gomi both have a strong lineage in wrestling. Yeah I know a lot of wrestlers excel in ADCC, but Gomi and Sato are examples of wrestlers know how to take you down, and actully chain submissions like the old Catch guys.

I like that stalling is so much more penalised in CSW. Nice vid, thanks.

This is just wishful thinking dude. Combat wrestling no longer exists as an organization. The last time that website was updated was 4/1998 by the way.

I am not saying that they don't do submission grappling, I am saying that the Combat Wrestling Org is dead in Japan.

And furthermore, submission grappling is still exploding over there, it just isn't under the format of combat wrestling. They do a lot of NAGA style tourneys over there. As well as BJJ and freestyle wrestling.

Hate to burst your bubble.

Let it go dude. Just let it go.

Masakatsu Funaki #1 said:
Not true at all. Kiguchi still runs Combat Wrestling tournaments all the time in Japan. Some of the Gomi/Sato matches are from the 2002 tournament in fact.

http://www02.so-net.ne.jp/~wrestlek/
Thats the official site. Its rarley ever update, but it does have info regarding rules,etc. If you go to the Japan board on mma.tv, the usually have updates on the upcoming Combat Wrestling tournaments that are coming up also. CW is still going strong and will always be. Its one of the few TRUE links left to Catch Wrestling.

ADCC > Combat Grappling = Matt Serra > Gomi by RNC

Back