Rule question: is screaming in pain equivalent to a verbal tap in sport BJJ?

Almost never. But it does happen at lower levels because many players are too low skilled to recognize when they are irrevocably fucked and need to give up. So the ref is empowered to stop it if you are wailing haplessly.

I think it's only rare at a high level because submissions are rare at that level and verbal submissions even rarer.

But assuming that a verbal submission is used, a scream or yell is probably the majority of them. Only Americans seem to actually use the specific word "tap".

I know most of the Portuguese words for a BJJ context by now, but I don't know the word for tapping out -- mostly because I've never once heard a Brazilian actually say anything that could possibly translate to that. They all just yell out "Aiiiii!" when they are caught and that suffices.

I know how to say that you tapped somebody else, but I've literally never once heard a Brazilian tap out with a specific word in Portuguese.

I'm not a ref, so wouldn't want to provide the wrong answer, but I'm pretty sure it used to be the case that standing up in 50/50 just got you an advantage, thus it wasn't a points scoring sweep. The rules as written now state its no longer an advantage - to me, by extension that means its still not considered a sweep for points scoring purposes either.

Coming from top to bottom in 50/50 is 2 points and considered a sweep.

I just did the NY Open yesterday and both of us got points for coming up on each other from that position. The other guy or I have always been awarded two in that position in all the IBJJF events I’ve done.

Last edited:
Back