Rugby, I'm Sold

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Ive never watched Rugby before until this Olympics. I'm totally sold now, super entertaining. I don't fully understand it, but I get it enough.

But anyone here watch it consistently? I'm planning on trying to follow it this year.

Couple questions:

Is there a season? If so when does it start?

What is the Sherdog of Rugby? Any good websites to keep up with data and such?

Coming from a wrestling background I think it's pretty awesome. Thing is, I have no idea what I'm watching.

Should join a beer league. Lots of fun and you'll learn the game.

i love rugby - watched it a lot while living in cape town.

Ive never watched Rugby before until this Olympics. I'm totally sold now, super entertaining. I don't fully understand it, but I get it enough.

But anyone here watch it consistently? I'm planning on trying to follow it this year.

Couple questions:

I have never watched Rugby until I moved to Australia when I was 22. As a none "native" Rugby person here is a breakdown.

They have 3 different forms of Rugby.
Rugby 7, thats the on they have at the Olympics. Its a new kind of rugby game set to be more entertaining specially for new markets, they only have 7 players so there is more room for trials.
Rugby union, thats the one they play when its Rugby World Cup. Or think Australia vs the all Blacks, for no Rugby fans this is the most boring one. But I personally like it the most.
Rugby league, you probably dont know any of it, I never heard of it before moving to a Rugby country. Rules are similar to rugby Union, just a bit faster due to the ball changing teams more often.

Played loose forward and a little 8 man in college. Very fun.

Couple questions:

There is a Rugby Thread in the sports section.
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/t...alk-about-the-olympic-sevens-in-here.3093483/

I actually went a boarding school in Rugby (England),,the school/city where this game was invented,great game.
Any old Rugbeians here by any chance?

Couple questions:

It's Rugby 7s it is very viewer friendly

I prefer Aussie Rules but rugby is alright

I'm only a casual fan that watches international Rugby Union. Great game

My Dad is Welsh so of course he had me playing Rugby as a kid. I never had dat stamina though. Plus I'm a total pussy who'd end up crying most of the time

I was watching the womens the other day those chicks are fucking tuff. Do they wear slippers or something though? it seems like their fingers and hands would get stomped and broken a l lot in those scrums for the ball with cleats on.

It's a great game. There are 3 'codes', Sevens, Union and League. Watch whatever you like, for me it's Union.

'Super Rugby' which is the Southern Hemisphere league unfortunately just ended. The Northern Hemisphere leagues (UK, Ireland, France) start up soon however. The best games are Internationals which is called 'Test rugby'.

Here's a great highlight from last year's rugby world cup, giants South Africa vs underdogs Japan.

I used to hang out at this Irish pub a lot and at like 3 in the morning it would get flooded with British people for whatever rugby game was going on. Fun crowd

When I think Rugby, I think hardcore bad ass European dudes, quite unlike their feetball counterparts. It's like the ultimate cross between soccer and American football. These guys are seriously monsters. If I could get on a local beer league I would be super happy. It seems like such a fun game. American football is my favorite sport, but all the downtime really irks me. Going to a live NFL game is annoying with all the waits and downtime. I like how rugby just seems to keep playing until it's over.

rugby union is one of the greatest sports in the world to me, right beside cricket.

i grew up playing rugby union for 12 years and cricket for 15 years.

there is currently the super rugby competition of at the moment, with a mix of teams competing from australia, new zealand, south africa, japan and argentina. japan and argentina were just added to the competition recently to make it more of a southern hemisphere comp.

then there is the internation series coming up very shortly. including the bledisloe championship between australia and new zealand. they also play with argentina and south africa too. it used to be a tri series tourney but argentina was added to mix it up and get more exposure for them since they are a good team but just dont get much game time.

league is far less fun, but is really popular in australia. i still follow it but since i grew up playing union from like 8 years old league just doesnt compare though. and as alot of you know jarryd hayne came from league.

Back