Rugby, I'm Sold

I was watching the womens the other day those chicks are fucking tuff. Do they wear slippers or something though? it seems like their fingers and hands would get stomped and broken a l lot in those scrums for the ball with cleats on.
they wear no real protection, head gear is optional. mouth guard is compulsory, shoulder pads optional. they wear studded boots usually metal studs.

stomping does happen, usually when a defender is not rolling away after a tackle is made and letting the attacking team get access to the ball. this is only when they tackle makes it to the floor. its usually a bit of a dirty move but no head stomping.

i never hurt my hands from getting stomped, but hurt it trying to tackle and even just jarring fingers catching a bad pass or something.

I actually went a boarding school in Rugby (England),,the school/city where this game was invented,great game.
Any old Rugbeians here by any chance?

I played on the end of the wing for a few years in college. Points leader my rookie year. Club team but we traveled around NY and played other well organized teams from some big colleges.

I was impressed by the sportsmanship, or at least the lack of trash talking and bitching. I think the not having helmets to hide behind, not blowing plays dead every ten seconds or the moment someone is tackled, and the wealth of opportunities for opposing players to fuck you up for running your mouth made it somewhat of a gentleman's game. One of the few sports where talking shit all get you punched in the mouth on the field. Some dirty shit did go down in the scrums and tackles though.

As soon as the game was over you went straight to a drink up hosted by the home team and crushed kegs with your opponents and challenged them to feats of drinking. As a rookie we weren't allowed to change out of our uniforms so I would bar hop in my little shorts and filthy jersey and then wake up in a sorority house and have to walk of shame back to campus in the same shit 24 hour later. Great time in my life.

I played on the end of the wing for a few years in college. Points leader my rookie year. Club team but we traveled around NY and played other well organized teams from some big colleges.

I was impressed by the sportsmanship, or at least the lack of trash talking and bitching. I think the not having helmets to hide behind, not blowing plays dead every ten seconds or the moment someone is tackled, and the wealth of opportunities for opposing players to fuck you up for running your mouth made it somewhat of a gentleman's game. One of the few sports where talking shit all get you punched in the mouth on the field. Some dirty shit did go down in the scrums and tackles though.

As soon as the game was over you went straight to a drink up hosted by the home team and crushed kegs with your opponents and challenged them to feats of drinking. As a rookie we weren't allowed to change out of our uniforms so I would bar hop in my little shorts and filthy jersey and then wake up in a sorority house and have to walk of shame back to campus in the same shit 24 hour later. Great time in my life.

I played in college also.

I was also impressed with the sportsmanship and camaraderie. You would absolutely beat the hell out of each other on the pitch and then the home team would host a party for the visitors. No bad blood ever found it's way off of the pitch. Not once.

Played rugby for about 10 years - represented Hong Kong in the 7's albeit only at a junior level. The rules are really intricate though. Lots of little infractions that the casual watcher will take a while to understand. When you get to see fast running play and big hits I dont think sport gets much better

Played union for five years. Miss it all the time. Best sport out there.

I got my knee blown out at an after party.

Back