Rubin Carter

Sunfish

Martinez Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Has anybody read Hurricane by James S. Hirsch?

Ive talked about it with various people and, whilst he seems to be telling the truth, is very much favorable towards Carter at every opportunity. Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or another book that would be of interest when investigating Carter's life?

All you need is that Dylan tune!

I know he's the man the authorities came to blame. For something that he never done. they put him in a prison cell. But one time, he could have been champion of the world.

That theres the story of the hurricane.

Never read it.
My opinion is, he's a murderer.

I'm always hesitant to go there when the police have admitted fabricating evidence.

I am watching this movie right now and I never really noticed how inaccurate the story told in the movie is. Carter was never a champion. The Giardello fight was not a robbery and I believe they had opponents in the film that never even existed.

Did the movie say he was a champ? Even the Dylan song says "He COULD have been the champion of the world"

Did the movie say he was a champ? Even the Dylan song says "He COULD have been the champion of the world"

Unless I misheard yes, they claimed the Griffith fight was a world title fight.

Wow... I hope you guys are just trolling

i skimmed through his own autobio one time and he sure sounds intelligent, sounds like a wise old man, but I learned the hard way not to pay attention to what people profess. I don't know if he's guilty or not, i always thought he may have been a conman, i remember Ron Lipton saying that Carter had said something that "shook him to his soul" after he did so much to get him out. I don't know what it was, not a clue, i asked him and he wouldn't say. I just happen to think that if a guy turns his back on anyone who helped him so much, he's probably not a very good guy.

Ive talked about it with various people and, whilst he seems to be telling the truth, is very much favorable towards Carter at every opportunity. Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or another book that would be of interest when investigating Carter's life?

An interesting story....a good movie "The Hurricane" starring Denzel Washington.

Yeah, I've read Hirsch's book on Carter. I've also read Chaitlon & Swinton's book on him entitled 'Lazarus and the Hurricane', as well as Carter's own autobio called 'The 16th Round'. Three books on him, which I still own, and then a bunch of other stuff on him that details his case.

My opinion on whether he did it or not? Well, he died last year.

The following site has been around for quite a while and is pretty well known for those interested in Carter's case, Sunfish;

http://www.graphicwitness.com/carter/

As it proclaims at the very top it'll give you "the other side of the story" if looking for something to help balance all the pro-Carter material that has been written on him. Check it out if you want. Loads of great info.

i skimmed through his own autobio one time and he sure sounds intelligent, sounds like a wise old man, but I learned the hard way not to pay attention to what people profess. I don't know if he's guilty or not, i always thought he may have been a conman, i remember Ron Lipton saying that Carter had said something that "shook him to his soul" after he did so much to get him out. I don't know what it was, not a clue, i asked him and he wouldn't say. I just happen to think that if a guy turns his back on anyone who helped him so much, he's probably not a very good guy.

Well.. whats good anyways? Take any person.. call him a murderer..lock him up and convince him that there's no hope.. mentally that person will change..will grow to hate people...and even if he gets out, some of that hate is still there ..some of that damage is irreversable..

Well.. whats good anyways? Take any person.. call him a murderer..lock him up and convince him that there's no hope.. mentally that person will change..will grow to hate people...and even if he gets out, some of that hate is still there ..some of that damage is irreversable..[/QUOTi

maybe, i don't know, i just think it's wierd, the way i analyze people is to watch the small things they do rather than what they say or what they try to convince people to think about them. I really don't know, I've read the evidence for both sides several times, I do know that Bob Dylan distanced himself from Hurricane once he knew more. Problem is, anyone who gets caught lies their ass off, it's predictable and not a reliable indicator of innocence. Not a big fan or superknowledgable about Carter but from what I read, he wasn't no choirboy. And why would you shit on someone who helped you get out? makes no sense to me, which is why i asked Ron about it on here, he wouldn't say and said that someday he'd write about it. I think he always was and still was a believer in Carter's innocence. one very interesting anectdote in his book was that he got in ali's face when the then cassius clay insulted a kid who wanted his autograph, it seems like cassius was truly arrogant and truly full of piss and vinegar especially in comparison to the sweet, humble man he evolved into, i believed it because it coincided with other accounts of who he was at that time. Also interesting were his accounts of sparring with liston, crazy. He also made himself sound like a spiritual, or rather philosophical, buddha like figure which i wasn't convinced by. Once a con, always a con.

Never read it.
My opinion is, he's a murderer.

Because the Cops said so, right? :icon_lol:

Yeah, they NEVER get an investigation wrong or just jail someone because they can? :rolleyes:

hell ya they do, and it happens all the time, in fact, the whole war on drugs is a modern day travesty when it comes to locking up young black males, just crazy that a society would allow it to happen without fucking rioting. But Carter seemed to me like a con. If you have convincing evidence otherwise i'd like to see it. Hell he's lucky he got people to fight for him, Lipton helped a helluva lot by getting Ali involved. Just think of how many brothers get screwed by this system, Michael Nunn got like a what, 30 year sentence for crack? no one even gives a shit about that.