Rubberguard effective for all body types?

DropBows

The "Original"
Reaction score
Do you feel that the rubberguard is as easily utilized by a tall person as a smaller person?

Is it worth it for a taller person to try to develop a deep rubberguard game?

I'm tall and it seems as though I dont have the flexibility for it, even though I'm actually very flexible.

I don't play the rubberguard, but I am tall and lanky and feel that it would be easier for me to implement than a shorter person. Being able to play this game correctly requires alot of flexibility in the hips and knees, and if you don't have that your rubberguard techniques won't be as tight and sharp and you might injure yourself. You won't naturally have this flexibility, so you will need to make an effort to stretch daily or semi-daily for awhile. Good luck.

you have your hips in the wrong position. who is teaching it to you?

if you are "very flexible" but can't do rubber guard, then you aren't that flexible. keep stretching brother.

i out my toe to my face after class last night after months of stretching EVERY DAY for 30-60 minutes. Flexibility takes as much work as getting strong does.

you don't need to be "very flexible" to use rubber guard.

I dont use it.. nothing except Zombie..

It seems like aviable option i just dont like the pressure you have to keep with your legs.. Im lazy and prefer big open swooping guards like inverted.

I'm 185 and I use it a lot, but you need flexibility!

yes, but not as much as most people seem to think. Most people that think they aren't flexible enough are white belts that tried to learn it out of a book and didn't get the details right.

I have trouble using the rubber guard against really REALLY fat people for whatever reason... But then again, I have trouble doing most things against really REALLY fat people

I personally use the rbber guard and don't think you need to be flexible to use it. What you do need is good hip movement a solid "squeeze" i.e guard control and to remember to break a guy down before you try to do anything. I think the places that you need to be flexible is if you are trying to shoot the rubber guard when a guy is posturing up on you. i.e. aoki vs jz.

What is this in reference to? Is there a picture or video I'm missing?

it's a reference to him being "very flexible" and still not quite getting the rubber guard. you don't really need a pic to know what the problem is.

it's a reference to him being "very flexible" and still not quite getting the rubber guard. you don't really need a pic to know what the problem is.

Ah I see. You're probably right, or he isn't as flexible as he thinks/is flexible in the wrong places. Rubber guard definitely requires certain flexibility, like in the hips. I can play some rubber guard but I can't even touch my toes without getting stretched out first.

Yes, but I would say that "flexibility" is more of an issue than being "tall or short" as the TS was implying. I don't think the short or tall of it really matters do you? I know that I have a HARD time getting any rubber guard stuff going and I usually put it down to the fact that I'm old, fat, and NOT flexible...not that I'm tall or short.

yeah i'm begining to agree with your alls conclusion. I'm not as flexible in the right areas as I need to be. I've begun to work on it.

If you're not very flexible, I wouldn't play it.

People say that if you play it right with all the details, you don't need to be super-flexible. Granted, but in BJJ you aren't going to be playing it right at least 15-20% of the time. That's enough to blow up your knees/back, if you aren't flexible enough to take it.

I'd rather play a guard with a decent safety margin. Too many reports of blown knees and backs come in from people trying to play rubber guard without having excellent flexibility in place.

Even with excellent flexibility like Eddies, I heard in another section on this site that he now has chronic back problems?

Even with excellent flexibility like Eddies, I heard in another section on this site that he now has chronic back problems?

There are no conclusive studies linking Rubber Guard with lower back problems. Truth is there is no proof that tobacco products cause lung cancer... eh, uh, I mean 10th Planet JJ destroys your spine.

Back