Rubberguard effective for all body types?

rubber guard works for me and i'm not just the president, i'm also a client.

There are no conclusive studies linking Rubber Guard with lower back problems. Truth is there is no proof that tobacco products cause lung cancer... eh, uh, I mean 10th Planet JJ destroys your spine.

No real need for the sarcastic remark, the ? implies I was asking, not telling.

I don't consider myself "very" flexible. I'm more flexible than the average in the gym i train at. I'm 6 feet and 170lbs.
And while i MAY use rubber guard, I'm not one of those "rubber guard" freaks who can keep it tight for 10 minutes while their opponent slams them around. I only switch to it to set something up, or for a transition, and sometimes even to get a rest and catch my breath (while it may be a strain on muscles/tendonds/whatever, it's easy to relax and take a bit to catch your breath).
I don't feel comfortable stressing my knees/hips too much or for extended periods of time with my current flexibility. And on a tournament, i would never actually try to use it.

No real need for the sarcastic remark, the ? implies I was asking, not telling.

no real need for the grave reply, the "...eh, uh," implies that I was answering in jest, not being an uptight bitch.

Even with excellent flexibility like Eddies, I heard in another section on this site that he now has chronic back problems?

soo... being flexible actually causes injuries? Using rubber guard can destroy your back?

In Mastering Rubber Guard Bravo said that he had chronic back pain for years and what helped him was stretching, specificly some yoga moves. He did not link rubber guard with injury. He did link working on flexibility to helping both your rubber guard game and your over all health in BJJ.

p.s. if playing rubber guard hurts your back then you have a weak back and need to start deadlifting ASAP.

jiu jitsu is highly personal... It is your personal journey to your "enlightenment" in jiu jitsu. What fool will force someoen to change their body for a style of jiu jitsu? Eddie bravo is a good competior and he did well with his lock down half guard and twister side control game. He did not use the rubber guard to much sucess in his ADCC run, as a matter of fact royler was ripping through his rubber guard. What Eddie did was catch royer in a triangle whe he was in double wrist controll butterfly guard. Funny thing is.. it's nto something that he triest o sell alot. The fact is.. his rubber guard was getting ripped by royler and leo.. and when he did tap royler it was from a double wrist controll butterfly guard.

jiu jitsu is highly personal... It is your personal journey to your "enlightenment" in jiu jitsu. What fool will force someoen to change their body for a style of jiu jitsu? Eddie bravo is a good competior and he did well with his lock down half guard and twister side control game. He did not use the rubber guard to much sucess in his ADCC run, as a matter of fact royler was ripping through his rubber guard. What Eddie did was catch royer in a triangle whe he was in double wrist controll butterfly guard. Funny thing is.. it's nto something that he triest o sell alot. The fact is.. his rubber guard was getting ripped by royler and leo.. and when he did tap royler it was from a double wrist controll butterfly guard.

Eddie is probably most famous for his rubber guard but in reality it is only one aspect of his system. Half guard w/ lockdown, butterfly guard, rubber guard and twister side control basically make up his system. He has said time and time again that you need to know them all as well as all the traditional games. In eddies opinion, and I agree, where people screw up the rubber guard is that they try it in competition because nothing else is working rather than spending the hours in the gym and mastering it there. That or they force it when they shouldn't, like trying to get rubber guard before properly breaking their posture.

I wouldn't say I am any good at RG. I am too new to it and it has been down the list of my priorities. But as for any body type. I am 5'8" with a 29" inseam, I have very short, stocky legs. I am also like the worlds least flexible human being in my hips. I can't get past 90 degrees on a side split. I can have some succes with the RG. You need to get you opposite foot on his hip and position your hips correctly. If you don't, it doesn't matter how flexible you are, you won't be in a position of strength and you will fail.

Im 6'2" and Im starting to really like many aspects of rubberguard. I would recommend that anyone who wants to learn some rubberguard get the Robert Drysdale series Nth dimension of Jiu-jitsu. I have based a lot of my nogi rubberguard off that series and have quickly implemented many of its aspects into my game. I have even been using a rubberguard with the gi with a lot of success. I am naturally very flexible, but I think anyone can do it over time, and it doesn't seem to stress my back. I find being tall better for rubber guard just due to the length of the shin bone.

Here is the absolute finals of my last tournament, its kind of a rubber guard showdown. Im the taller guy with dark hair.

<a href="http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=33197430">Fredonia Finals</a><br><embed src="http://lads.myspace.com/videos/vplayer.swf" flashvars="m=33197430&v=2&type=video" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="430" height="346"></embed>

Slick transition from go go to armbar. Was this in Fredonia NY?

Eddie is probably most famous for his rubber guard but in reality it is only one aspect of his system. Half guard w/ lockdown, butterfly guard, rubber guard and twister side control basically make up his system. He has said time and time again that you need to know them all as well as all the traditional games. In eddies opinion, and I agree, where people screw up the rubber guard is that they try it in competition because nothing else is working rather than spending the hours in the gym and mastering it there. That or they force it when they shouldn't, like trying to get rubber guard before properly breaking their posture.

I wouldn't say I am any good at RG. I am too new to it and it has been down the list of my priorities. But as for any body type. I am 5'8" with a 29" inseam, I have very short, stocky legs. I am also like the worlds least flexible human being in my hips. I can't get past 90 degrees on a side split. I can have some succes with the RG. You need to get you opposite foot on his hip and position your hips correctly. If you don't, it doesn't matter how flexible you are, you won't be in a position of strength and you will fail.

holy crap, you sound like my exact twin. Although I actually started doing yoga about a year ago and I will say it helped me with all aspects of my game.

I was going to say the same thing about having correct position and breaking your opponent down properly are more important than the flexibility everyone is talking about. Eddie's back problems are from doing BJJ not just RG, I'm sure his lack of weight training and general lifestyle have as much to do with that as anything.

If you want to play RG you will need to pay very close attention to the details, pick one technique and drill it until you have it down then proceed to the next technique. I'd also get the dvd's and if possibly go to a seminar of someone that actually teaches RG techniques. Too many times people overlook details when they try to learn from a book. That is my general knock on learning from books, not just RG.

Too many people think it's going to be a silver bullet to giving them a great game and they read a bunch of the techniques try to pull them off in class and fail, invariably they blame it on a "lack of flexibility".

Here is the absolute finals of my last tournament, its kind of a rubber guard showdown. Im the taller guy with dark hair.

<a href="http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=33197430">Fredonia Finals</a><br><embed src="http://lads.myspace.com/videos/vplayer.swf" flashvars="m=33197430&v=2&type=video" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="430" height="346"></embed>

Thanks for the advice maybe i'll read up on him.

Cool moves. Good clip. Only thing missing was the spinning armbar when he kimura'd you without locking down a leg.

I need to increase my flexibility dramatically.

Yeah that was in Fredonia on April 19. And yeah I should have gotten the spinning armbar off the kimura attempt.

Back