Roy Jones Jr.

Then debate the guy. Or don't. But crying over the thread isn't the way to go about it.

loi...that should be my training log title.

and yes...the knee has stopped swelling up after workouts. Never thought I'd see the day.

Thanks for reminding me!

*taps watch* Its April already, 5across...I expect a log

I'm not like the rest of you. You should have figured this out by now.

PS: Mickey Ward was nothing more than average. You chose the wrong word. Tut, tut.

This thread was better when we were talking about bacon

Maybe thats because the first couple of posts said something about dying, or something similarly silly.

Thats not my problem. Maybe he did die...who knows and you know what who cares.

Everyone likes what Roy accomplished, but your opponent usually determines what makes you great rather than just an unrivaled dominate champion, that's what made Ali the greatest, he beat the odds.

RJJ just doesn't have the wins on his record like Ali does to be considered one of the greats. He was a great fighter, but didn't take the difficult fights like Ali did or any other of the greats.

Everyone likes what Roy accomplished, but your opponent usually determines what makes you great rather than just an unrivaled dominate champion, that's what made Ali the greatest, he beat the odds.

Good posting.

Good posting.

You've made several off topic posts in this thread, what is your opinion of Jones?

Personally I think the claim that Jones fought a lot of scrubs is shit. Nothing wrong with fighting alot as long as those big names are mixed in somewhere with the second stringers.

I thought everyone knew what I thought about Jones?

Short story; brilliant physical skills. The kind never really seen before, or since. Power, speed, reflexes, eye's, feet. All of it. He didn't lack in any physical area.

He lacked a number of orthodox skills though. The kinds of skills you need when facing the very best fighters of all-time. There's a reason why it's "orthodox", because it works. Fighters who fight outside of the box most often come up short when faced with another great fighter, with similar physical skills....combined with great technique.

He's a top 30-35 fighter of all-time, IMO.

Thats the short story.

Short story; brilliant physical skills. The kind never really seen before, or since. Power, speed, reflexes, eye's, feet. All of it. He didn't lack in any physical area.

He lacked a number of orthodox skills though. The kinds of skills you need when facing the very best fighters of all-time. There's a reason why it's "orthodox", because it works. Fighters who fight outside of the box most often come up short when faced with another great fighter, with similar physical skills....combined with great technique.

Thats the short story.

I've heard quite a few Jones opponents, including Hopkins, say that without his speed, he was nothing special and pretty average in all areas. I've heard people trash his technique based on that speed.

Hopkins also said that if Jones had retired immediately aftere the fight with Ruiz, he would undoubtedly be remembered as the greatest.

I don't disagree with either statementm, except the "undoubtedly" part.

The Ruiz fight was the only time I ever saw Jones use orthodox technique.

I still think he's top 20 or 25 though.

Thats the short story.

But who were that very best fighters of all time rjj could have faced and lost against in his prime? I thought the talk about his lack of technique came up after his physical abilities diminished. I - in my not so vast knowledge - cannot come up with a boxer being dominant like rjj in his prime.
Maybe his orthodox techniques were not the best like you say, but does that matter when you're dominating everyone like he did? If rjj retired after ruiz very few would be talking that (relatively) bad about his skills, because very few would have noticed or cared since he was so dominant. People would have just said, he didn't need those skills. Getting beat at his age because of his diminishing physical abilities, does imo not take away everything that happened in the years before...
So, even if i don't agree with the tone of the ts, his opinion is not that ridiculous as some here like to portray it imo... (srry for my english, 3rd language...)

Back