Roy Jones Jr. Says Naoya Inoue Is True P4P King Over Bud Crawford

Actual best and 'P4P' best are the same guy currently, so people should take that as a welcome opportunity to stop talking fantasy nonsense about midgets.

yeah they forgot Usyk. he's p4p #1 until he either retires or loses.
i would put Inoue at #2 certainly. Crawford is #3.

everyone's always gonna have their little opinions on this topic.

but it's interesting to hear roy's POV, because he's not only one of the greatest all-time great fighters alive today. but also the only fighter in history who held 4 wgt world titles from MW to HW. i think roy knows who usyk is. he says numerous times in the video, guys like inoue unfortunately will never get the opportunity to fight the big popular names. nonetheless, it's an opinion coming from an expert who experienced it all.

everyone's always gonna have their little opinions on this topic.

but it's interesting to hear roy's POV, because he's not only one of the greatest all-time great fighters alive today. but also the only fighter in history who held 4 wgt world titles from MW to HW. i think roy knows who usyk is. he says numerous times in the video, guys like inoue unfortunately will never get the opportunity to fight the big popular names. nonetheless, it's an opinion coming from an expert who experienced it all.
At one point in time James Toney also held 4 divisional world titles between MW & HW. Only his WBA heavyweight title was stripped after he popped for PEDs and his win against John Ruiz was overturned. He and Roy were both middleweights that initially beat the same heavyweight titlist. Even though Toney was doped no middleweight should ever be able to beat a heavyweight titleholder worth their salt.

It's also worth pointing out that Bob Fitzsimmons was the first middleweight champion to win a heavyweight title which he did against Corbett (btw this was the heavyweight title). He then dropped down to light heavyweight and won his third division. If there was another weight class around back then, like SMW or CW, surely he would've also held 4 titles between MW & HW.

Actual best and 'P4P' best are the same guy currently, so people should take that as a welcome opportunity to stop talking fantasy nonsense about midgets.
According to the rankings as well. Too many fans believe that their own personal P4P list should somehow supersede the actual P4P ratings (The Ring, TBRB, etc). Have you seen some of their lists? They're often as bad as fan scoring.

Meanwhile the aforementioned media outlets have actual qualified ratings panels. If necessary they'll take it to a vote. Some even provide full transparency like The Ring does. This includes clear explanations regarding rankings movement.

At one point in time James Toney also held 4 divisional world titles between MW & HW. Only his WBA heavyweight title was stripped after he popped for PEDs and his win against John Ruiz was overturned. He and Roy were both middleweights that initially beat the same heavyweight titlist. Even though Toney was doped no middleweight should ever be able to beat a heavyweight titleholder worth their salt.

It's also worth pointing out that Bob Fitzsimmons was the first middleweight champion to win a heavyweight title which he did against Corbett (btw this was the heavyweight title). He then dropped down to light heavyweight and won his third division. If there was another weight class around back then, like SMW or CW, surely he would've also held 4 titles between MW & HW.
Was watching a doc on Jack Johnson, when talking about the much avoided Sam Langford, he was described as prime James Toney with the power Mike Tyson, imagine that.

really glad to see RJJ out there doing his thing. I can't imagine what I would be like recovering from a child suicide.

what a devastating loss.

i always enjoy hearing roy's analysis. if anyone has seen and done it all, it's him.

Out of curiosity I just checked all of the popular P4P rankings. Usyk is rated #1 across the board. Didn't realize this until now. Let's look at each of their respective Top 3.

The Ring
  1. Usyk
  2. Inoue
  3. Bud
TBRB
  1. Usyk
  2. Inoue
  3. Bud
BoxRec
  1. Usyk
  2. Bud
  3. Inoue
ESPN
  1. Usyk
  2. Bud
  3. Inoue

Note: It appears that the BWAA no longer maintains their P4P list. They haven't updated it in 2 years.

Wasn't there an earlier interview where Roy said Inoue wasn't p4p number 1 because he lost to Donaire?

In my experience, ex-champ and Pro fighters like to throw out controversial calls and picks just to rattle mf'ers. Its like how they keep fighn in old age

Back