News Roy Jones Jr. announces the death of his son, DeAndre

Rip Deandre

i am his age and have been going through the most difficult time of my life the last 9 months, have had blitz moments of suicidal thoughts as well, trying to gather force and motivation for life everywhere that i can each day and night, roy jones is someone i have looked up to and hearing this touched me

Rip Deandre

i am his age and have been going through the most difficult time of my life the last 9 months, have had blitz moments of suicidal thoughts as well, trying to gather force and motivation for life everywhere that i can each day and night, roy jones is someone i have looked up to and hearing this touched me
Hang in there buddy. You have a long way to go yet.

I've had my share of suicidal thoughts and attempts in the past and luckily I'm still here. This is absolutely tragic, can't imagine the psychological pain the son was going through and Roy Jones and his family are going through now.

Depression is very dangerous. There were about 50 thousand suicides in 2023 in the States alone. It's an epidemic.

For people who don't understand why someone that's privileged would do quite a drastic action, the reason they do this is because they are clouded by depression and can't see clearly or rationally at that moment. Seems there is no light in the end of the dark tunnel.

People are the worst psychological conditions at that point, so there no way for this person to reason or think logically at that moment.

It just take seconds and you're gone. There is plenty of wealthy, successful people taking their lives. Depression doesn't discriminate, doesn't give a fuck in your wealth or status.

Thanks for sharing that is very brave of you and it should help someone out there.

I had two cousins commit suicide on my father's side. One was about 12 or 13 and the other was 23 going through it during covid.

The one that was 12 was a year older than me, I'm 37 now. She was getting bullied in school, but she lived alone in California with her mother who was a crack addict. When she was a baby a man showed up on my dad's door with her in a dirty diaper because he couldn't find me aunt. That aunt died less than 10 years later and had literally grown a mustache. Only empty vodka bottles we're found in her home. No food and she has been dead for days.

The other cousin was an alcoholic and dishonorably discharged from the Marines for slap boxing a guy in Japan. The guy fell and had to get plastic surgery. My cousin was booted. He got two DUIs in the year or two after. Suffered a broken neck in the last one. Before that he was on his way to becoming an LEO and had a well trained German Shepherd that he rode around with. It was going to help him fight crime, but he never cleaned up.

He ended up in jail for over a month and after getting out even cut off his ankle monitor. They found him and nabbed him quick. It was all shocking because he was the baby of the family, 8 years younger than me.

In the summer of 2020, after all that trouble, he took his life on Facebook live. Was playing Russian roulette with a German pistol his grandad owned and was given to him by his mother... Someone put in a wellness call, but by the time they got there he had killed himself playing Russian roulette on Facebook live. Closed casket and I'm sure his mom holds a lot of guilt as she should.

Sorry for the long read, hope someone reads it all, but please seek help even if it's through one of us. You are loved even more so by the people around you. Always here to help myself. I've saved my marriage a hundred times by controlling my drinking and stopping for almost two years.

Nothing feels better than regaining what was lost and letting go of baggage that weighs you down. Love y'all.

Rip Deandre

We're with you dude millions of us. I got laid off during covid and received $4,000+ a month. Birth of my second child didn't stop or control my drinking. In fact I slept for one hour before my wife's water broke and was blacked out on tequila from the day before. Held it down during that birth though. Got kicked out our new home the next year and for two months the following year.

Now on vacation in Hawaii with the wife and two beautiful daughters. These responses right here, brother and sisterhood we have is most important right now. Not worth it. We're always here and struggling too. Be that example and fight through this life with us. You'll be alright.

What controlled my drinking and what made me stop for a while was, well, it wasn't about keeping the wife and kids (nevermind 10r 5.0 and C4 LT1) it was about getting myself back!

Counseling helped me along with individuals, Sugar Ray Leonard and Rocky III. As I said, no greater feeling thus far has been regaining what was lost. Wife and kids we're no guarantee, but I got myself back.

well that's certainly a factor, but i wager a lot of it has to do with the modern lifestyle in general. it isn't just social media that puts pressure on us, education, careers, hell even politics do too.

i read an interesting take from someone (forgot who, unfortunately) that the jobs we do today have a much higher impact on our feelings of unfulfillment. 100 years ago, the jobs we worked were mostly about producing things. you were a farmer, you grew shit and worked the land. you were a shoemaker, you made shoes. carpenter, engineer, whatever. the result of the tasks you performed all day was something you could see. it was something concrete, and that gave you a sense of a job done, something achieved.

today, a lot of jobs involve putting shit into an excell spreadsheet and making sure data gets to the right people at the right time. you can work all day in an office, do a thousand little things, and at the end of the day the result of your work isn't visible, can hardly be measured at all. all that time and effort, and there's nothing to give you a sense of accomplishment. that fucks with our well being, big time.

i'm a software engineer so it's not that bad, but i have definitely felt this at times.

I agree man. I'm a postman, mail handler. We're understaffed by at least four people on the night shift pushing out mail that is promised to the city and rest of the country. What we do or how we move is never good or fast enough. Few years ago at least four people we're going through divorces in large part to alcohol, cheating, and verbal abuse from work.

I possibly fractured my face last month on accident because a boss told me I should have done this before that. What he wanted me to do was drop mail somewhere and have it sit for 30 minutes instead of bringing mail to a machine that would shut down soon.

My forklift equipment slipped out as I was unloading it and a twenty pound solid hook of metal drove into my face. Lucky I didn't smash my eye. Felt very insecure dropping off and picking up my daughter from school in our nice neighborhood and all the teachers and parents staring at me as if I'm a troublemaker or got my ass kicked. I also feel immense pain when smoking so I no longer do it.

The good thing is that it's made me way more secure within myself and finally got me to quit after twenty years. Bottom line is, work sucks we're never appreciated. Let us not be too hard on ourselves and appreciate our work.

That accident made me stop bringing problems home from work and vice versa.

this is the only thread about something this morbid that's bringing out the best in our posters. We've had a couple others recently in other forums and the smartasses just can't help themselves from ruining them.

Sad stuff for Roy who's been open about his suicidal thoughts in the past.

Well in America I blame it on social media & unrealistic expectations based off of manufactured realities. For the longest this impacted mostly women. Now it's almost a complete 180. Women are still held to unrealistic beauty & family standards while men get that now combined with financial & strength expectations.

Its a topical society where status, superficial appearance, and the perception of wealth define who you are more than any actual standards or values.

Also, mental illness is handled poorly on all sides of the isle. Its almost encouraged and enabled on one end or completely dismissed on the other.

A majority of the people who we call influencers are narsasastic mentally ill clowns. People who love to hear the sound of their own voice ramble non stop for over 3 hours a day on a podcast. Or people who are obsessed with looking at themselves on video or pics 24/7. Often fishing for compliments or validation. Or even worse intentionally bragging to make the world envious.

This is what we feed to our sheep like population 24/7.... Its a breeding ground for mental illness to multiply IMO.
Insane. We should keep our kids off phones and social media so they can be kids. And then we just continue doing it as adults.

Sad for Roy

this is the only thread about something this morbid that's bringing out the best in our posters. We've had a couple others recently in other forums and the smartasses just can't help themselves from ruining them.

Sad stuff for Roy who's been open about his suicidal thoughts in the past.
indeed, and if anyone is ever struggling or needs to have a natter, feel free to send me a PM, i may not be able to give advice, but i am more than happy to listen if you feel you have nobody to talk to. Dont do anything drastic, there are people out there who care, even if they don't know who you are, we as humans should look after people who aren't well, even if its just a listening ear it makes a massive difference sometimes

Gutted. I just have no words, suicide is the absolute worst. The absolute despair he must have been feeling to make that choice.

RIP DeAndre, and stay strong Roy, you are a hero to many.

Rip Deandre

Stay strong brother. Who knows what tomorrow brings.

Thanks for sharing that is very brave of you and it should help someone out there.

I had two cousins commit suicide on my father's side. One was about 12 or 13 and the other was 23 going through it during covid.

The one that was 12 was a year older than me, I'm 37 now. She was getting bullied in school, but she lived alone in California with her mother who was a crack addict. When she was a baby a man showed up on my dad's door with her in a dirty diaper because he couldn't find me aunt. That aunt died less than 10 years later and had literally grown a mustache. Only empty vodka bottles we're found in her home. No food and she has been dead for days.

The other cousin was an alcoholic and dishonorably discharged from the Marines for slap boxing a guy in Japan. The guy fell and had to get plastic surgery. My cousin was booted. He got two DUIs in the year or two after. Suffered a broken neck in the last one. Before that he was on his way to becoming an LEO and had a well trained German Shepherd that he rode around with. It was going to help him fight crime, but he never cleaned up.

He ended up in jail for over a month and after getting out even cut off his ankle monitor. They found him and nabbed him quick. It was all shocking because he was the baby of the family, 8 years younger than me.

In the summer of 2020, after all that trouble, he took his life on Facebook live. Was playing Russian roulette with a German pistol his grandad owned and was given to him by his mother... Someone put in a wellness call, but by the time they got there he had killed himself playing Russian roulette on Facebook live. Closed casket and I'm sure his mom holds a lot of guilt as she should.

Sorry for the long read, hope someone reads it all, but please seek help even if it's through one of us. You are loved even more so by the people around you. Always here to help myself. I've saved my marriage a hundred times by controlling my drinking and stopping for almost two years.

Nothing feels better than regaining what was lost and letting go of baggage that weighs you down. Love y'all.

Very well said.

RIP. I can't imagine the horror of having to bury one of your children. News like this reminds me of the survivor stories about people who jumped from the Golden Gate bridge and survived. Most say as soon as they jumped, they immediately regretted it. Sadly, most don't get that 2nd chance.

I am the same age with Roy's boy and have been dealing with dark thoughts for a long time.

The thing that keeps me going is the aftermath, what my family will have to get through.
It's very important to be around people and have accountability.

Not sure if this is DeAndre Jones in this video (was released on Roy's YouTube channel about a month ago):

As a dad, it tears me up even thinking about the possibility that suicide could claim one of my kids one day. RIP.

Back