Roy Harris Blue Belt Requirements - Updated with another link

L

LeatherWhip

The original post is below. I thought it would make sense to add this link as well, since it has links to all of his belt testing, and additional articles on his own brand of Brazialian Jiu Jitsu.

Original Post:

Harris International :: Harris International Blue Belt Requirements

Does anyone know some of the position names or descriptions in the Roy Harris Blue Belt curriculum, such as below? Thanks

Positional Dominance

A. Mount position

1. Position #1
2. Position #2
3. Position #3
4. Position #4

B. Side mount position

1. Hold down #1
2. Hold down #2
3. Hold down #3
4. Hold down #4

The whole list has been posted here before, I believe it was more thorugh. Anyway, he doesn't conduct the blue belt tests exactly as he types them up.

The whole list has been posted here before, I believe it was more thorugh. Anyway, he doesn't conduct the blue belt tests exactly as he types them up.

Oh yes the test is way more thorough, its in the link that I attached in my first post. But I am wondering what some of the un mentioned moves are, if there is further details on the,, etc.

Also, how does this compare to other programs, such as Gracie Barra, Saulo Ribeiro, etc.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pDObjJipKIo&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pDObjJipKIo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ki9q6L7gyZI&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ki9q6L7gyZI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Roy Harris stuff

his brown belt standards are silly

1 hr teaching a kid with disabilities etc

400hrs of private tuition with Roy

^
Is that real as to the brown belt requirements?

his brown belt standards are silly

1 hr teaching a kid with disabilities etc

400hrs of private tuition with Roy

Being able to teach the disabled is actually a great standard. I wish there was more emphasis on skills like that in BJJ in general.

There is much more to BJJ rank than simply the ability to tap people out. I think that is something a lot of people miss.

i know to get your purple and higher they want you to teach lower belt classes and kids classes

Being able to teach the disabled is actually a great standard. I wish there was more emphasis on skills like that in BJJ in general.

There is much more to BJJ rank than simply the ability to tap people out. I think that is something a lot of people miss.

Although I agree with you to a point, - belts are about a lot more than tapping people out - but come on, this shouldnt be a requirement. How does teaching a disabled kid have anything to do with a bjj promotion? Why would you even have to teach bjj to a kid who cant physically do it? I think its a bad thing honestly. Maybe go teach some poor or underprivileged kids, or something like that - but make it optional.

You shouldnt force people to do stuff like this IMO.

A. A minimum of 1500 hours of group training. This can be accomplished by four to six hours of training each week, over a period of five to eight years. Some will be able to accomplish this goal sooner than others.

B. Five hours of private lessons with me. This amounts to about one hour of private lessons training per year.

II. Skills on the mat:

A. A high level of proficiency with side mount escapes, specifically, going to the knees AND replacing the guard. I place more emphasis on going to the knees at this point in time in a practitioner's experience.

When I write "a high level of proficiency", I am speaking of technical execution, timing and combinations. What I mean by this is I want the person testing for brown belt to demonstrate a very high level of proficiency with side mount escape in their execution. I will also want to see them use their techniques in combination and with good timing. A student who uses speed, power, strength and explosiveness to execute their techniques does not have the skill sets on the mat I am looking for at brown belt level. While an fast and explosive student may be strong and athletic, which are admirable qualities to possess, the use of these qualities does not equal a skill in my opinion. During the brown belt examination, I want to see a high level of technical proficiency with the basic techniques. This high level of proficiency will lead to a repeatable skill on the mat.

B. I want to see a high level of proficiency with guard control. I want to see the effective and efficient use of the open guard, closed guard, butterfly guard and half guard. I want to see good limb entanglement and good head control. I want the student to be able to effectively and efficiently use their feet, shins, knees and thighs for MOST of the control.

NOTE: Blue belts use their arms for most of the control in the guard. Brown belts must be able to control using their legs as the dominating force!

C. I want to see a high level of proficiency with off balancing and attacking (the arm and neck) from the guard. I want to see the student simultaneously control AND attack their opponent from the guard. In other words, I want to see simultaneous active legs and active arms.

D. A high level of proficiency with passing the closed, open, butterfly and half guards. More importantly, I want to see the use of base and posture, a combination of forward pressure and good leg movement, as well as a combination of passing on the knees and passing by standing up!

E. A mid level of proficiency with hold downs from the side mount. I want to see good arm, leg and head positioning, as well as a mixture of pressure and movement.

F. A mid level of proficiency with throws and takedowns. I want to see your mechanics and your set ups in action.

G. One submission that you own. I want to see you finish people with the same lock or choke, repeatedly. I don't care which position you attack from, I want to see you use one submission over and over again, as well as use the submission to set up other opportunities. For example, using the bent arm lock to set up a sweep.

III. Miscellaneous:

A. I want you to have a thorough knowledge of my blue belt requirements. You will be tested on my headlock escapes and wrestler's cradle escapes.

B. I want you to have a thorough knowledge of my purple belt requirements. You will be tested on combinations.

NOTE: If you are new to Harris International and you wear a purple belt around your waist from another instructor, in order to test for brown belt under me, you will need to have a thorough knowledge of my requirements for the blue and purple belts. You will not have to take these tests. However, you will be tested on some of the material that is presented in these examination.

C. Demonstrate to me that you have made a positive impact on people's lives. Bring me a minimum of five (5) letters from students, instructors and members of your community that demonstrate what you have done for others

D. When you test, you will need a minimum of three (3) partners to assist you with this examination. Five would actually be a better number. One of your training partners needs to be a purple in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. A second training partner needs to be strong and athletic. The other training partners need to be at least mid to high level white belts or weigh over 220 lbs.

The reason why I want these various kinds of training partners at your exam is because I want to see your technical proficiency, ability to think and reason, as well as your ability (and willingness) to handle size and strength when you are tired / exhausted.

E. The entire test will be performed while wearing a gi. All training partners must wear their gi.

F. Be prepared to test for two and a half to three hours (with only a few short breaks).

The Harris International Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Brown Belt Examination is a difficult one. Prepare accordingly (i.e. take a few private lessons, train hard and smart with your training partners, get into shape, learn to focus your mind and heart, mentally and physically test yourself beforehand, etc...). Make sure you are ready at the appointed time - because the test is pass or fail!

If there is anything on this exam that you do not understand, please take a private lesson to clarify.

Not impressed.

Heres from the black belt requirements:

6. Teaching ability. I want to see you handle the following situations:

- Two brand new students who know nothing about Jiu Jitsu.
- Two blue belts that will present random questions you'll need to answer.
- Two brown belts that will present very specific and very detailed questions you'll need to answer.
- A brand new student who is a training partner with an experienced purple belt.
- A physically challenged student who wants a private lesson.
- A deaf student in your group class.
- A deaf and blind student who wants a private lesson with you.
- Managing group dynamics - where there are problem students and personality issues in class.

As you can see, I want my black belts to not only some serious skill sets on the mat, I also want them to have the ability to teach very well (and to be able to present Brazilian Jiu Jitsu to anyone on the planet).

Seems just ridiculous to me. I can understand certain stuff that EVERY blue belt needs to know, or even every purple belt. But after that its just retarded to have a "belt test" and, IMO, insulting.

Not everyone is the same. The whole point of bjj after purple belt is to develop your own game, a type of bjj thats uniquely yours. A big reason that I personally love bjj is that all types of people and all types of personalities can do it. With that said, you shouldnt try to make everyone the same way, or to fit the same mold.

Some people just CANT TEACH. Some people arent personable, and dont get along with people they haven't met before. some people might not be comfortable with deaf/blind/disabled students. Some people might not perform very well under pressure.

None of these are valid reasons to hold someone who has worked his/her ass off from getting the next belt.

^ everyone i've talked to who has trained w/ or cross-trained w/ him... including folks from the inosanto camp, are highly impress w/ him.

also -- perhaps Mr. Harris is more interested in the combination of the mastery of art in execution and the didactic aspect as well.

educational maxim is that if you can teach the information, then you truly know it.

possible?

Heres from the black belt requirements:

Seems just ridiculous to me. I can understand certain stuff that EVERY blue belt needs to know, or even every purple belt. But after that its just retarded to have a "belt test" and, IMO, insulting.

Not everyone is the same. The whole point of bjj after purple belt is to develop your own game, a type of bjj thats uniquely yours. A big reason that I personally love bjj is that all types of people and all types of personalities can do it. With that said, you shouldnt try to make everyone the same way, or to fit the same mold.

Some people just CANT TEACH. Some people arent personable, and dont get along with people they haven't met before. some people might not be comfortable with deaf/blind/disabled students. Some people might not perform very well under pressure.

None of these are valid reasons to hold someone who has worked his/her ass off from getting the next belt.

I like it. Everything he wants makes you well rounded.

He wants you to be able to throw, defend a throw and teach a throw.
Perform a leg lock, defend a leg lock and teach a leg lock.
Perform a sub, counter a sub and teach a sub, etc.

There are too many black belts who can fight, but cant teach, and a growing amount who can teach but cant grapple. He wants his students to be able to do both. Not only that, but he is making sure everyone can do the basics, but he also stresses that everyone has an individual skill, and that actually forces the sport to adapt and grow. With people being encouraged to not only show the basics but get tested on one move they have mastered he is creating new Marcelos, DeLaRiva's and Eddie Bravos.

Not just that, but his system ensures that people who recieve a black belt from him dont get a reputation of being a bully or a cheat.

There are no bad sides to this. If you put in the time and you aren't an asshole you will get these skills naturally, and if you dont it shows not only a hole in your game, but a hole in your character that you can actually improve before you are considered a black belt.

If I am to be tested, I want to be tested under Harris's system. It is much better designed than the Gracie Barra system which is a rediculous money making scheme from the largest BJJ organization in the world and something that I am slightly embarrased to have been a part of.

Not impressed.

well those are the bare minimum to be a brown belt Roy has blue belts that tap out brown belts becasue they never botherd to test. I spent four years with ROy and he is a a very fair and reaonable teacher. Unlike my current teacher, Baret Yoshida, he has a life long goal for martial arts. That means he's is teaching you BJJ and a philophy of doing it as long as your still able to walk onto the mat (literally that's almost a direct quote). That is why is belt requirement are so wordy. I found my blue belt test to be very straight forward while at the same time difficult and rewarding.

Baret's philophy is about getting you ready for copetition so his requirement is 16 taps in competition against same belt or higher in a tournemnt. No exam or anything. This is modificed in some cases for guys such as Warmachine who can't compete due to his contract with the UFC (he got his last belt for that win on the TUF finale)

I find both equally fair and lacking in the arbitarainess of some schools whom I've trained with (not gong to mention names out of politness)

C. Demonstrate to me that you have made a positive impact on people's lives. Bring me a minimum of five (5) letters from students, instructors and members of your community that demonstrate what you have done for others

????

Back