Roy Harris Blue Belt Requirements - Updated with another link

Although I agree with you to a point, - belts are about a lot more than tapping people out - but come on, this shouldnt be a requirement. How does teaching a disabled kid have anything to do with a bjj promotion? Why would you even have to teach bjj to a kid who cant physically do it? I think its a bad thing honestly. Maybe go teach some poor or underprivileged kids, or something like that - but make it optional.

You shouldnt force people to do stuff like this IMO.

I think we really have more in common on this than first seems.

I agree totally that people need to have an individual progression in BJJ (or any other martial art). No two people are alike, and people should not be forced into specific molds.

However, I do think there are lots of facets to BJJ. You can see this even when just looking at technique. Top game, bottom game, specific kinds of guards, takedowns, etc. Generalizing this to even broader stuff, there are the components of technique, competition, teaching, coaching, attitude, etc.

Obviously no two people are going to develop the same way. Everyone will have their own individual progression and find their own path. That's something I love about BJJ too. Some people will focus heavily on the competition, others will be great teachers, and others might just be great training partners. No matter who you are or what attributes you have, there is a place for you in BJJ.

I think that requirements like these force people to at least explore these other options though. I think the specific requirement listed here was one hour of teaching a disabled child. Really all that amounts to is a single private lesson one time. If it turns out that the person just isn't good at teaching that way, I don't think it should hold them back from advancing provided they gave it a good effort. After all, their individual path might not be that of a teacher.

However, by requiring that they at least seriously try to teach a person who is a unique case at least one time, you are forcing the student to explore to find their own path. They might discover that they are actually incredibly talented at teaching people and go on to become a great BJJ instructor. But how can they know that this could be their path if they never try?

To bring it back to concrete technical stuff, you can think of it like the case of someone who plays only top game. Maybe they just aren't that good at bottom game and never will be. I think it's fine to have a style that focuses heavily on the top position; an incredible guard style is not necessary to be good at BJJ. However, I still think it should be required that the student have at least seriously tried to play a guard game for a while. If it turns out that it just isn't their strength, that is fine. But you still need to try in the first place so that you can determine which path is going to work the best for you.

So I think requirements like these do force you to do things. However, I don't think they force you into a particular mold. I think they force you to challenge yourself to experiment with new stuff so that you can find your own individual way. Overall, that will enhance personal development and lead to people developing unique styles in every aspect of BJJ.

Just for the record, teaching a disabled child is not a requirement.

This is what I've been told: "Roy Harris' test are to judge you on your technique and your understanding of that technique. He does encourage you to develop your own game. He doesn't what to produce a bunch of mini Roys but rather a group of people who truly understand the concepts and develop their own personal game."

The issue of a test is funny to me. Some like them and same hate them. Those who hate them are the first to start screaming on forums like this about so and so..."He's not a true purple or a true brown." "Someone call the BJJ police"...etc

Roy's test are away to have quality control within BJJ...

Although i do think some of the requirements aren't really necessary to be a master at BJJ, I definitely don't have a problem with the test.

It gives a definitive measure of quality control for his students, and if you don't want to take it you can either not move up or train somewhere else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back