Rousey swimming background ..

chukutee

Genetic Freak
Reaction score
So we know that Rousey was a youth swimmer before switching to Judo.

How much of a role do you think her swimming background plays in her striking game? You can definitely see some hints of the the front stroke in her striking last night.

Oh that's right, thanks for the reminder.
She wanted to be olympic champion in swimming before, such a competitor.

there was actually competition in swimming so she turned to MMA

Isn't she a bit short to be a competitive swimmer. Aren't swimmers quite tall?

check out the height of the US olympics women swimming team, to get an idea what was ronda missing.

LOL! It is only useful as conditioning. Its not like breaststrokes will improve your punching power or speed. Swimming at that level is only useful for cardio, muscular endurance and mental toughness.

Ronda vs. Michael Phelps, in the pool! Book it, Dana!

So Saku got his double chop from the butterfly stroke. Who

So many of these young athletes that are wasting their time and struggling in talent-rich sports, destined for mediocrity.....hopefully they'll look at the success and acclaim of Ronda Rousey and realise the potential to actually be somebody in the world of mixed martial arts.

there was actually competition in swimming so she turned to MMA

:rolleyes:

Being the best fighter in the world is better, and truly more competitive than being the fastest swimmer in the world. Being the best fighter requires tons of skill, unlike swimming fast. Sure, there is technique to being a great swimmer, but compared to fighting.. there is no comparison. A lot of you people don't realize how much skill you need to be a great MMA fighter. You don't understand how angles are so important in MMA, timing, controlling distance, dictating where the fight takes place, etc.

Fighting is something that will, in my mind, always be a more competitive and FAR more skillful sport than swimming is.

Just because Ronda destroys her opponents so easily in MMA doesn't mean her competition sucks. Ronda's competition have all done well for themselves in MMA until they fought her. She's simply just better than them.

I find it funny when there's a dominant champion, a bunch of fans like to discredit them and say it's because their competition sucks when in reality it's because they can't accept how good a fighter is.

So fucking stupid.

I know some people will talk shit on this post, but it's true that MMA takes far more skill than swimming quicker than somebody else does for fuck's sake. Just shows how uneducated the majority of fans are when they say this kind of garbage on here. Go watch swimming if you shit on MMA so much, idiots.

:rolleyes:

Being the best fighter in the world is better, and truly more competitive than being the fastest swimmer in the world. Being the best fighter requires tons of skill, unlike swimming fast. Sure, there is technique to being a great swimmer, but compared to fighting.. there is no comparison. A lot of you people don't realize how much skill you need to be a great MMA fighter. You don't understand how angles are so important in MMA, timing, controlling distance, dictating where the fight takes place, etc.

Fighting is something that will, in my mind, always be a more competitive and FAR more skillful sport than swimming is.

Just because Ronda destroys her opponents so easily in MMA doesn't mean her competition sucks. Ronda's competition have all done well for themselves in MMA until they fought her. She's simply just better than them.

I find it funny when there's a dominant champion, a bunch of fans like to discredit them and say it's because their competition sucks when in reality it's because they can't accept how good a fighter is.

So fucking stupid.

I know some people will talk shit on this post, but it's true that MMA takes far more skill than swimming quicker than somebody else does for fuck's sake. Just shows how uneducated the majority of fans are when they say this kind of garbage on here. Go watch swimming if you shit on MMA so much, idiots.

You are just adorable.

So many of these young athletes that are wasting their time and struggling in talent-rich sports, destined for mediocrity.....hopefully they'll look at the success and acclaim of Ronda Rousey and realise the potential to actually be somebody in the world of mixed martial arts.

Idk theirs already alot of chicks out there with this mentality that they're gonna be the next Ronda.But in reality their probably gonna take alot of beatings/punishment never ever be as successful and probably not gonna earn much either.

Really, in some of these sports, it's about who the better athlete is. In MMA, you don't have to be the best athlete to be the best fighter. That's what makes the sport so great.

In the Olympics, or many other sports, you see some athletes beat others simply because of their physical advantages alone, genetics, etc - in MMA, you can see some people beat the physically more impressive, better athlete due to genetics, etc, you see some beat the better athlete simply because they work harder than them, because they train harder and look to become better in all aspects.

They don't rely on their athletic ability, they rely on their skill. BJ Penn is a great example of this. BJ was never the most athletic guy, he fought a lot of guys who were far more athletic than him and he beat their ass because he was more skilled than them.

MMA is a sport that requires far more skill than all these BS swimming sports or whatever you want to call them.

In MMA, the best athlete isn't always the best fighter and that's something I believe is great because it shows that just because someone is, again, the better athlete due to genetics and such, they can lose to fighters who aren't even close to them in terms of athleticism, but win because they are more skilled, they work harder on their game because they have to unlike some fighters who are, again, more athletic and can do things easier than others.

MMA is a sport where athleticism doesn't mean everything like so many other sports out there. These swimming sports, the better athlete will almost always win, the one with the physical advantages and such.

It's the same with running - there are people who are simply just faster than others and they are born that way. You have some that work much harder than others, MUCH harder and then you have guys who don't work nearly as hard but they're still faster. In MMA, it's not all about your physical advantages, things you have been born with and that's a very great thing, in my opinion.

A lot of people talk down on MMA on here about how some fighters couldn't cut it in other sports - but what makes them think that the athletes in other sports would make it in MMA? It's not for everybody. It is, again, a sport where being the better athlete doesn't mean everything.

Combat sports are the best in the world. It shows what somebody is truly made of. It is THE original sport. Fighting has been around since life came to be on earth and humans made it into sport before anything else. For these fighters in MMA, they're the best in the world, they are THE best fighters in the world and being the best fighter in the world is far more fucking impressive than all these other sports, in my opinion. It's just you and your opponent in there. This is no team sport, nobody is in there to help you, and to be able to be the best in the world, out of 7 billion people, to be the best in the fucking world at FIGHTING.. that's the most impressive thing out of any sport in this world, especially because this is the world's very first sport.

Rage on.

Being the best fighter in the world > being the quickest swimmer in the world.

Sorry, kid. It's true and you know it.

Not in terms of fame or recognition fastest swimmer/runner> best female fighter.

Not in terms of fame or recognition fastest swimmer/runner> best female fighter.

Who is the fastest female swimmer or runner? Any of them over the past 10 years?

I have no idea.

I know Usain Bolt, I know Michael Phelps... I know Ronda Rousey.

Who is the fastest female swimmer or runner? Any of them over the past 10 years?

I have no idea.

I know Usain Bolt, I know Michael Phelps... I know Ronda Rousey.

Who knows .I wasn't talking about female swimmers or runners. I just said female fighter because they had been talking about Ronda. But it applies to all fighters really.

You may know who Ronda is but shes hardly a household name.Everyone knows who Usain Bolt is.most of the people i know couldn't name a single fighter in mma or boxing,except for Ali or Tyson probably.

Back