• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rough night

Bornstarch

Holy Paladin
@Brown
Reaction score
Woke up at 4 in the morning feeling like I'm not getting oxygen. I was breathing but it's like it's not doing anything. I thought maybe I had covid and my lungs aren't taking enough oxygen or having an anxiety attack. I was trying to decide whether to drive to the hospital or not. Also trying to decide whether to take xanax or not, but I've only had it once and dont want to take it again. I don't wanna risk getting addicted to it. Slowly starting to calm down, I hope it doesn't happen again. What worries me the most is if this is going to be happening every night now? It sucks.

That's the vicious circle of anxiety, worrying about it before you need to worry about it.

Do you have a history with panic attacks or drug use? Don't take anything for now, if it's anxiety the only thing I find helps is sipping on whisky or brandy sand waiting it out, tough to get through on your own though.

Certain drugs slow down your respiratory system so you don't want that, get yourself checked out, but if it's anxiety you can beat it

Woke up at 4 in the morning feeling like I'm not getting oxygen. I was breathing but it's like it's not doing anything. I thought maybe I had covid and my lungs aren't taking enough oxygen or having an anxiety attack. I was trying to decide whether to drive to the hospital or not. Also trying to decide whether to take xanax or not, but I've only had it once and dont want to take it again. I don't wanna risk getting addicted to it. Slowly starting to calm down, I hope it doesn't happen again. What worries me the most is if this is going to be happening every night now? It sucks.
Buy an oximeter. They’re inexpensive and you can easily see if your oxygen levels are truly low or not. If you are really having trouble breathing, I wouldn’t recommend Xanax as it’s a depressant that slows breathing. But if your oxygen levels are fine, then it very well could be an anxiety/panic attack like @Long Dark Blues said, in which case Xanax may help.

It takes quite a while to build up a dependency to Xanax, but you do want to be very careful, as it is scary AF to detox from if you’ve built up a habit.

When you’re panicking like that, take the Xanax -that’s what it’s there for. Don’t suffer.

Taking Xanax only when you need it isn’t going to leave you riddled with addiction. I’ve been there myself, respect the medication but don’t be afraid of it.

Thinking about it made it worse

It's like I knew there was nothing wrong with my breathing, then I started thinking maybe my lungs has covid, then the overthinking became anxiety or panic attack. I was ready to drive to the emergency room

I'm guessing the diagnosis is panic disorder? Most people with this disorder have a physiological slash biological predisposition to feeling anxiety more often, due to something like an overactive sympathetic nervous system system. Something interesting that came out of studies on people with this disorder is that they exhibit certain unique beliefs and characteristics that essentially maintain the issue. For one, they're overly focused on the physical symptoms of their anxiety. They careful monitor and examine their internal, visceral states. It's like if you feel sick for some reason, you have the option of not paying attention to it, going about your day and allowing yourself to be distracted by other activities until the discomfort passes. People with panic disorder do the opposite. They peer within and bring a magnifying glass to their discomfort. They dissect it, they analyze it, and then the last step is that they interpret that discomfort as meaning something, usually something catastrophic. So the physical symptoms of anxiety get interpreted as being dangerous, as though an impending life-ending health event is coming. The fear of this supposed incoming health event then creates a feedback loop which creates even more anxiety and makes it more likely for a panic attack to occur.

Basically there are cognitive distortions at play that absolutely can be worked on, and probably have to be worked on for any degree of real recovery. Without these two cognitive habits / distortions (magnifying glass on physical symptoms + catastrophic interpretation) the person simply returns to her natural state of being a person prone to anxiety, certainly, but nothing more -- they wouldn't be able to hold the diagnosis. Drugs are nice and all, but they can't fix things on a deeper, more meaningful level.

Hyperventilation, so your co2 levels get too low and the more you breath the bigger the shortness of breath will become. When this happens it is better to breath less and to relax. This way your co2 levels will get back to normal and then when you breath you will feel it helps instead of making it worse.

It's like I knew there was nothing wrong with my breathing, then I started thinking maybe my lungs has covid, then the overthinking became anxiety or panic attack. I was ready to drive to the emergency room
Try Lexapro. Good luck

If you need anxiety medication but are worried about addiction try a less addictive or less powerful medication.

Good thing to talk to a Dr about.

When I asked for Xanax the Dr gave me a script for Ativan, which I found annoying but I think the Dr pegged me as being likely to abuse because I am a musician which is bullshit but anyway.

That’s anxiety -shit gets stuck in your head then it bounces around like crazy making it a bit worse. I’ve been there, you’re not alone bud.

Is normal

Definitely get a pulse oximeter. Knowing what your oxygen levels are may calm anxiety if that is the cause. If your oxygen level is low, you might have sleep apnea where you stop breathing while sleeping. You might need to change your sleeping position. If you sleep on your back, your tongue can block your airway. Sleeping on your side can help. If you go to a doctor, they will want to do a sleep study and put you on a breathing machine. I suspect doctors get big commissions for those.

Bout this time last year I caught what seemed like a cold from one of my kids. Within three days I could barely breathe at all. I had asthma as a kid but it hadn't been an issue for years.

Went to urgent care, got tested. Influenza A!

A week of asthma meds, tamiflu, and prednisone and I was ok again. Maybe I'm getting older but that was the only time in my life where the flu really kicked the shit out of me.

Anyway, while anxiety can give you shortness of breath too... if you continue having difficulty breathing go to urgent care.

That's the vicious circle of anxiety, worrying about it before you need to worry about it.

Do you have a history with panic attacks or drug use? Don't take anything for now, if it's anxiety the only thing I find helps is sipping on whisky or brandy sand waiting it out, tough to get through on your own though.

Certain drugs slow down your respiratory system so you don't want that, get yourself checked out, but if it's anxiety you can beat it

Bingo, I deal with this exact feeling.

I was gonna make a thread about how annoying it was that my roomba randomly went to work at 3am this morning but I guess that would be in bad taste after reading this thread.

Been there. Def not fun. If you were prescribed Xanax, take it when you need to. Sounds like the lesser of two evils in this situation. But also try to treat the underlying/root issues of your anxiety.

Of course, I would also monitor O2 levels and heart rate, just to be safe. Just not obsess over it. Best of luck.

Back