Rosstraining

bowlie

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Ross is obviously a smart guy, and no doubt his fighters are in shape, but it surprises me how different his approach (loads of BW curcuits, burpies, pushups, high intensity work e.c.t.) is to alot of people here (power-lifting combined with cardio).

I was wondering where the people here thought that an approach similar to the one ross takes would fit into an overall S&C plan? I would guess that it would be great as either muscle endurance, anaerobic power/capacity or speed/power work

Overall, more similar to Ross when closer to a fight.

If you go back through one of his old, old e-books, he used to recommend a long run 3 days a week, as well as interval running 3 days a week. His attitude has changed over the years, but even in his more "modern" stuff, he still maintains the importance of developing an aerobic base.

It depends on what your goals are. A lot of guys here want to be big and strong, which Ross training isn't really going to accomplish.

On the other hand, if you are trying to get into fight shape and make a certain weight, and be pretty strong for that weight, Ross training is great.

Overall, I think Ross training is more fight specific, but it definitely will not maximize raw strength. It is really hard to maximize strength and make a fight weight, so you have to pick your priority and train accordingly.

While Ross is super strong, if your main goal was to get strong then running circuits and interval sprints several times a week is probably not in your bests interests.

That said, if you're a fighter and you want to improve all your physical attributes, including maximal strength, then you can follow the templates Ross provides and add in extra strength work where you feel you could use it.
His books are excellent and explain all of this quite clearly.

I think the guys on here lean heavily towards the strength side of the strength & conditioning equation because for most people who read Sherdog (high schoolers, average joes, grappling hobbyists), pure strength training + sprints/prowler work/whatever is a more effective use of their limited time.

For a professional fighter or very serious competitor, Ross's programs are a lot more applicable.

Like KiwiTricker suggested, I think the best program for even a pro would be a program centered around heavy lifts and sprints with some LISS mixed in during normal training and something like Ross suggests for 6-8 weeks leading up to a fight or a competition.

There is a lot of different Ross stuff out there and I have not read it all, so I don't particularly want to generalize, but most of Ross's programs feature concurrent periodization designed for a combat athlete. This means they aim to slowly develop a whole host of physical and athletic qualities simultaneously.

I don't follow any of Ross's programs, but I do like his take on concurrent periodization. The "powerlifting+sprints" method adopted by many on this forum could have a role in a serious fighters S+C program, but it would simply be a block within a longer periodization model. It will definitely develop strength far more effectively than Ross's stuff; but that's not the only quality a combat sport athlete need develop.

Yeah it will be great in muscle building and help a lot...

the sequential fatigue challenge is fucking murder

Yes. Yes it is. If you want to make it even more fun, run it inside in a gymnasium that has a pull up bar, and substitute pull ups for the close grip push ups.

Back