Ross Enamait: Anyone use his programs?

Avraham

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I have been using Ross' programs of Infinite Intensity, Never Gymless, and Full Throttle Conditioning for about 2-3 years now. It significantly increased my overall health and fitness, especially when sparring, etc.
To me, this man teaches a highly thorough way to condition one's body.

Anyone else using his programs?

Not anymore, but I'll tell you this: his stuff is legit, and he's a very classy guy. There are two dudes I look up to for MMA conditioning: him and Joel Jamieson.

Last edited:
Yes I do. Really solid material for a great price. Guy isn't trying to sell you fluff and has great customer service.

I've used his stuff as a supplement to my lifting in the past. He's definitely the real deal.

If you're just looking to do bodyweight stuff or you are in a position where you can't go to a real gym and a home gym (bench, bar, rack, weights, etc) isn't an option then he's definitely one of the better resources out there

Never followed his programs but I've done some of his workouts and use his jump rope stuff all the time.

I used some of his conditioning routines from Infinite Intensity. It wasn't bad, it helped out a bit when I was in camp.

Wasnt he against roadwork or steady state saying you'll end up looking like a marathon runner and how doing steady state is useless training for a fight?

Funny cause boxers do alot of steady state work

From my understanding, Ross isn't against roadwork or steady state cardio. He's just against doing them at a slow pace.

sequential fatigue challenge will make a man of you, or you will die

Work Capacity 101 is a fucking widowmaker of a workout.

Wasnt he against roadwork or steady state saying you'll end up looking like a marathon runner and how doing steady state is useless training for a fight?

I doubt it as I bought one of his ebooks years ago and if I recall correctly most of his samples conditionning programs included in the book had at least 3 days of roadwork...
That's if me memory serves me right of course..

He has an article from ages ago where he is really anti-LISS and makes some really strong statements (the thing about looking like a marathon runner was one of them I think) and probably did say things that are objectively questionable. He actually came on here when we were discussing it and admitted he wished he had moderated what he had said in the article. But I think he stands by the claim that he doesn't see LISS as being useful for conditioning (in the sense of work that allows you to maintain power output for your sport)- more for weight loss.

I have one of his books and he talks about how he much prefers an interval type workout over a steady run. He gave an example of a boxer doing like 6x400 and 4x200 and 2x100 rather than just going for a 30 minute jog.

In the same book though he makes it clear that he thinks you need to get out an run, not just skip and use sand bags and kettlebells.

He's not anti road work, just anti long slow runs.

I have one of his books and he talks about how he much prefers an interval type workout over a steady run. He gave an example of a boxer doing like 6x400 and 4x200 and 2x100 rather than just going for a 30 minute jog.

In the same book though he makes it clear that he thinks you need to get out an run, not just skip and use sand bags and kettlebells.

I like Ross and he has some great advice but I noticed a huugge difference in my cardio for fighting when I started incorporating long slow runs. Boxing, MMA is all HIIT style training if you think about it. So you're targeting that specific type of anaerobic/aerobic style work tALL the time through sparring, hitting the mit's, bag work, etc. etc. while neglecting the aerobic system that gets hit through road work. I'm not good with the terminology of it all but it's certainly a different work capacity going all out at 190 bpm compared to keeping your heart rate 135 bpm.

As soon as I started incorporating 5 mile runs at a nice slow pace I noticed my conditioning improved quite a bit and felt a lot better in sparring. So that's one thing I don't exactly agree with ross.. But like anything different strokes for different folks.

Well i can see for majority or average trainee training for rec purposes dont have time for slow runs.

Even for some local amateur athletes with full time jobs and other obligations. Getting short runs or just sport specific work, done in blocks and periodized is better than nothing.

Good thing about steady state, is it doesnt necessarily have to be runs. But it can be hella boring and time consuming.

But liss + intervals when programmed accordingly = endless gas tank

He does good stuff and I respect the dude, but take any stance that is completely anti-something with a pinch of salt. LISS has its place in a training programme, same as anything else. Very good source of info for some good conditioning stuff, and a nice minimalist approach to strength training as well for those who are that way inclined.

Yea any trainer whos anti liss or anti intervals has got to questioned.

In the past when i used to do 5k runs, I thougt that it helped me push through menatl blocks of fatigue, I woudl get out of breath then learn to regain it.

Not sure if that was actually happening , it was just what I woudl think at the time

Ross isn't exactly anti-liss, he just thinks intervals are more important. Essentially both he and Joel agree that you need both. When Ross was writing years back, LISS was the dominant form of conditioning for boxers, so he argued strongly that they should do more intervals. Now intervals are the dominant form of conditioning and Joel is arguing strongly for LISS. On the surface it looks like they are both saying different things, but in reality if you were to train with them I expect you would see both of them using basically the same training methods. Fighting is a mixed sport, and both guys recognise the importance of getting that balance right.

Ross also said that his fighters 'do most of their conditioning with their gloves on', and said that most people get plenty of LISS type training from skill work. Feel free to disagree, but that is something he said in the past.

Back