Social Roseanne tweets outrageously racist comment about former Obama staffer Valerie Jarrett

Calling all Trumptroopers, it's time to get your outrage on. How dare a network cancel the show of a Celebrity that is also a Trump supporter (Im pretty sure they should be a protected group, with how few of them there are, still in the wild).

Just repeating over and over that it's a joke, doesn't make it so. Just because people have used that format to tell jokes before, doesn't make this a joke. Context, and intent, as well as personal history, all matter. You're wrong, and it's easy to see why we think that you think comedy is beyond reproach with your stance here.

You protected C.K. for jerking off in front of his female friends, as well. You clearly lionize comedy, and comedians at a level that makes you worthless to discuss this topic with.
Why the CK thing? Here's what I posted about his "apology" letter btw:

He's a very clever dude. He did this the right way by not minimizing or denying etc, but it's also done in a way that is going to make him look good. I have no doubt that he chose those words after thinking about the current environment and how his statement positions himself, rather than from a desire to come out with true simple statements. I'm not giving him good guy credit for that statement, because game recognize game.

Basically, I thought it was a phony apology and he wasn't sorry. Probably not the smartest move for you to bring that up. I think my views on the CK thing were well considered and fair.

I'm still correct that it was a joke. You need to admit that if we're going to get anywhere on that bit. It wasn't just clearly a joke, it was definitively a hacky and absolutely obvious joke. It was so obviously a joke that you would have to act like a Noah's Ark apologist to say that it's not one.

And like I said earlier, I didn't claim that comedy was beyond reproach, but I do think we should be careful. It deserves some special treatment.

I have no idea who Valerie Jarrett was so I googled.

I have never in my life.....Seen a person who in some pics looks white and in other pics looks black

valerie-jarrett-speaks-out-about-e28098roseannee28099-cancellation.jpg

180529192930-valerie-jarrett-responds-roseanne-tweets-msnbc-exlarge-169.jpg

EVPBA6W6IAGRVT23FIS2BRKYTQ.jpg

1527683692288.jpg

ValerieJarrettChipSomodevilla334x500.jpg
Valerie-Jarrett.jpg

So her excuse of not knowing she was black, kind of made sense until she tweeted "Yeah I thought she was white", then later or she said "I thought she was saudi!"...She is in full damage control right now lol.

It's funny tho, how she is only defending the Planet of the Apes comment.......The Muslim brotherhood comment is just as fucking racist lol...She only mentioned the Muslim brotherhood comment, because Valerie Jarrett was born in a muslim country......So I find it hilarious, how she is not defending that part of the joke, only the Planet of the apes part.
Is Muslim a race?

I still don't understand why comedians are treated like brilliant martyrs who sacrifice their sanity in order to provide the world with their much needed gift. Her being a comedian and her racist remark being a joke are super unimportant. You don't get a free pass just because of your job title. Same goes for rape jokes.
It's not so much a job title as a counterfactual, counter-cultural role in society. Roseanne is not really brilliant, though I do respect her.

My two favorite comics, Carlin and CK, both have good rape jokes. Louis' especially is good. He talked about how boring it is to talk about time travel, and how everyone says "I'd go back and kill Hitler." He said that he'd go back and rape Hitler, because raping him would have damaged his self-esteem enough that he wouldn't have gone through with the Holocaust, he would have just wanted to take a shower. That's a Hitler joke and a rape joke, and it's really good.

It's not so much a job title as a counterfactual, counter-cultural role in society. Roseanne is not really brilliant, though I do respect her.

My two favorite comics, Carlin and CK, both have good rape jokes. Louis' especially is good. He talked about how boring it is to talk about time travel, and how everyone says "I'd go back and kill Hitler." He said that he'd go back and rape Hitler, because raping him would have damaged his self-esteem enough that he wouldn't have gone through with the Holocaust, he would have just wanted to take a shower. That's a Hitler joke and a rape joke, and it's really good.
I don't find that joke to be really good. Although I don't think it's offensive, either. But my point is if you want to joke about race or rape you have to do so in a way that disarms the topic and doesn't position victims as something to be mocked. I think every joke has a little bit of a truth to it, and I guess with CK we saw what kind of fucked up way he had with abusing women...I don't view comedy as counter culture, it's escapism. I don't think it's really art either where boundaries can be pushed in the name of creating an experience, but even still art has morals.

The media keeps throwing him softballs and Emperor Trump keeps knocking them out of the ballpark.

#upwithhopedownwithinsincereapologies

Cool...

Call the new show “Dan” instead.

Somehow, it was actually Roseanne who died of a heart attack all those years ago, and after living the bachelor life, Dan is now having a crisis...

I'm refuting the position that what she tweeted was a joke. I using examples to do it. A real out there technique, I know.
When we're discussing the tweet in question primarily what matters is the content of that tweet. Louis CK is a comedian who makes jokes, that doesn't mean everything he says is a joke. If he tweets a statement that isn't a joke, that doesn't suddenly mean all his other tweets are not jokes. If you really think that a statement structured "If x and y had a baby..." isn't a joke, even if its a nasty and inappropriate joke, then you just have a pretty bad sense of humor.

If not a joke, then what was it? Do you think it was a statement expressing Roseanne's actual thoughts on Jarett's ancestry?

Back