• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rose Namajunas vs Megan Rapinoe

Women's soccer world cup – France 2019
Attendance
1,131,312 (21,756 per match)
Yeah once every 4 years when everyone is already on location because of other sports.

What people don’t realize is that the women were offered the exact same contract which they turned down. They decided to take less base pay so they could have tons of benefits instead.

I like Rose but I agree on Rapinoe. She seems like she is always complaining about womens soccer players and how they should be paid more.. lady, if womens soccer was as popular as the nba they would make that much.. you are not being repressed.

Yeah once every 4 years when everyone is already on location because of other sports.

What people don’t realize is that the women were offered the exact same contract which they turned down. They decided to take less base pay so they could have tons of benefits instead.

Lol yeah biggest event in womens soccer got the attendance of 1 NBA game. Impressive!

Lol at using World Cup attendance to try and white knight women’s soccer. People watch the World Cup for the same reason they watch the olympics, national pride. Nobody actually gives a shit about women’s soccer or sports like curling and men’s swimming. Most viewers couldn’t even tell you what position Rapinoe plays or what the names are for soccer positions. On top of that the World Cup has been going on for ages and is the one time anyone gives a shit about women’s soccer and it happens twice a decade.

Women’s mma has been a thing for like 5 years and has sold out events every month. Ronda rousey was selling 500k-1mil ppvs, plus the tens of thousands of people who stream and watch at bars. The women’s soccer league had 100k views at its highest watched game last year. That’s on cable/streaming services too, not even Ppv.

I think that the problem with this analogy is that the pay scale for both men and women in the UFC is the same (at least I think it is) even though it seems most people don’t enjoy women fights as much as they do the men...

In US Women’s Soccer, however, they are paid significantly less than the men and are the better product. The Women’s National team have been the best in the world for a long time while the Men’s National Team is considered a joke...

I come from the Netherlands and football (soccer) is the number one sport by a country mile. And actually, the ranking of our women's team is higher than the ranking of our men's tea. Howeverz although we may watch the women play when they are in WC or Euros, most of us dont give a shit about them. The skill gap between men and women is gigantic, but also tactically it can be quite bad...
Moral of the story; women's football is still considered a joke by many

I come from the Netherlands and football (soccer) is the number one sport by a country mile. And actually, the ranking of our women's team is higher than the ranking of our men's tea. Howeverz although we may watch the women play when they are in WC or Euros, most of us dont give a shit about them. The skill gap between men and women is gigantic, but also tactically it can be quite bad...
Moral of the story; women's football is still considered a joke by many

I am an American (if you couldn't tell) and obviously football (soccer) is different here vs Europe and other parts of the world.. but I don't think people here even consider it a joke.. they just don't care at all lol - they'll tune in if it is the olympics or world championships or whatever just because to root for 'merica.. but no one cares at all about women's soccer otherwise.

USA Women's basketball dominates vs the world as well - does that mean they should all be paid like NBA players? We all know what the answer is to that.

In US Women’s Soccer, however, they are paid significantly less than the men

False. There is no factual basis for claiming the men are paid more.

The pay structures of USWNT and the men's team are substantially different, with the women's team having higher guaranteed pay, a higher number of contracted players, better benefits, and lower bonuses. The men are only paid if they play, and have much higher incentives for winning. They are hard to compare directly, but the US Women's team was complaining mainly about not receiving high bonuses without noting the advantages they have over the men in terms of compensation in other areas. They also fail to note that they were offered the same bonuses available to the men, but rejected them because they wanted a more guaranteed pay out.

Think of a fighter like Overeem who receives a flat pay out per fight like Overeem complaining after a win that he is paid less because he doesn't get a win bonus. It's disingenuous. And that's why the judge found: "Plaintiffs cannot now retroactively deem their CBA worse than the MNT CBA by reference to what they would have made had they been paid under the MNT's pay-to-play structure when they themselves rejected such a structure."

Lol, women's soccer has considerably more fans than mma ever will. This is a niche pseudo-sport for morons.
and yet it wouldn't even exist if it wasn't subsidized by men's soccer. meanwhile ufc can't stop making money...

Hey man. I was gonna respond to your tattoo post with some extra recommendations, but the event started haha. I liked those artists you posted though.
All good, i figured it was hard to answer considering the event, lol.
Glad you liked them!
I'm from Argentina, grew up there, but I've been in the US for 7-8 years. So, I grew up playing, watching and following soccer fanatically. Ever since I moved to the US I've stopped following it so much.

I admit I was being slightly trollish. But I do believe most of what I said. If someone finds women's ball sports entertaining, cool. I don't for the most part, and it's not because of sexism. I grew up watching the highest level of competition in a sport with the biggest talent pool in the world. When I watched some highlights of the women's games, the talent and athleticism level was laughable. This is the same reason I don't watch male second and third division games nor care about them.

I think people underestimate the athleticism involved in ball sports, and the difference in the size of the talent pools. Both these factors are huge. Non-athletic games like pool are still separated by gender, so maybe there's some of what you say too, although I'm sure there's some underestimated physical factors in it. I think women do well in competitive shooting though, where all that matters is pure mental timing and calculation, and the gun does all the physical work.
Oh interesting! Yeah, almost no way one doesn't play soccer a lot in such a country, similar to germany probably.
Yeah you worded it a bit ruthlessly, haha, but i essentially agree i think.

The athleticism in ball sports is underrated for sure, i 100% agree.
People get all crazy (and understandably so) about these massive american football players and these giant NBA players being fast as f*ck but underrate the hell out of soccer players.
If you're somewhat familiar with the amount of cardio soccer requires (i know you are, but people who've not played it not so much, lol) at the very highest level and look at the top speeds many of these top guys run kinda casually during a game on grass, it's mind blowing.
I guess you're familiar with Erling Haaland? The guy is 6'4"/194cm and is so f*cking rapid, it's absolutely bonkers. Mbappe (though a rather small guy) too is blisteringly fast, it's not even funny.
Obviously the big NBA and NFL guys would smoke the above mentioned guys when it comes to strength, but then again a guy like Haaland or Mbappe (or most top level football player in one of the top five leagues) would dust pretty much any NBA and NFL player in a 5k or so...

What i think especially us-american people underestimate in regards to ball sports is the actual limb-eye-coordination required (I'm saying "limb-eye", because while "hand-eye-coordination" is the usual term, it's not completely accurate, since the brain doesn't differentiate between hands and legs in that regard, so height aside, someone who's technically brilliant in soccer would've also made a technically brilliant basketball player).
These guys seem to see the ball move in slow motion; they operate on a whole other plane than regular people.
I personally know people who've played against future bundesliga players, world class players (when the latter were young) and even alongside worldcup winners and eventhough these people i know are technically proficient players in the leagues they play in (and have or had potential to make it pro) they'll tell you about these future pro's etc. that they're on a completely different level to the point its hard to describe.

That's why i always say (and i stand by this a 100%) that things like chin and mentality aside, top level soccer and basketball players would make insane strikers, as their brains and nervous systems are able to calculate and react to moving targets at absurd speeds and from my experience, this is something that can't really be learned; one can only get slightly better at it due to practice, but guys like Messi and Stephen Curry in ballsports or Anderson Silva in MMA are just born with that.

I will say though, that for striking in MMA, there's at least one more very important metric in regards to accuracy and timing and that is anticipation, but generally you can't really learn to "enter the matrix" and put dudes down with perfectly placed strikes mid movement, i think.

In ball sports these requirements for that kind of talent are even crazier, because not only do you need to be able to process and calculate the movement of the ball coming towards you, you also need to not just hit it/catch it in the right place, you also need to do it with just the right amount of force, because it'll bounce away otherwise, while a counter punch doesn't need an *as* perfectly weighed amount of force, i think.

Shit, i guess i got carried away<45>
What bothers me is that this Rapinoe broad wants to make it seem like sexism is the reason why her sport isn't as popular or doesn't get paid as much, which is a ridiculous idea. They get paid a higher percentage of what they generate, she gets huge sponsorships, and they claim they get paid less because of sexism, even though their team, globally, doesn't generate anywhere near what the men's team generates (by participating in the biggest sporting event in the world). I've encountered these types in real life. I'm not saying sexism doesn't exist, but her narrative is nonsensical and women eat it up. Her sport isn't popular because the talent level is poor. It's such an intellectually feeble position that it makes me sick, lol.
Fully agreed.
Sounds cliche, but i feel there's a lot of truth to the claim that across our modern society there's a trend of black and white or absolute thinking, where something is either absolutely good or absolutely bad (or true or false!) with nothing in between.

Anyways, cheers man, already wrote enough for today here, haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back