Rory Mac Probably Told GSP What an Easy Opponent Woodley Was

Frank Edgar

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Rory totally neutralized Woodley. Woodley looked terrified and paralyzed for the entire fight. GSP probably believes he can do the same thing with his jabbing and karate.

Only reason I can think of why GSP wants to come back now at this point in time.

The fight doesn't make that much sense otherwise. Why fight for the championship if you're already 35 and will have to retire again soon anyway? Why not take a super fight against an equally old legend?

It's because a good opportunity came along: a champion that, in GSP's mind, he KNOWS he can beat. The thought of winning the title for a 3rd time from a younger, hungrier fighter would be Rocky-esque and would make him frontrunner for UFC GOAT now that Anderson and Jones both tarnished their legacies with PEDs. And you know GSP is all about his legacy.

So my theory is that GSP feels confident because of what his teammate and protege Rory Mac did to Woodley, and he thinks he can follow that blueprint with Firas's guidance to solidify his legacy.

Probably. who cares?

The GOAT is BACK!!!!!

Hit the nail on the head. Not a fan of gsp

GSP will smash just as Rory did. Good job to woodley for taking out lawler though! Wonderboy is the uncrowned WW king?

GSP isn't that old at all.

Rory totally neutralized Woodley. Woodley looked terrified and paralyzed for the entire fight. GSP probably believes he can do the same thing with his jabbing and karate.

Only reason I can think of why GSP wants to come back now at this point in time.

The fight doesn't make that much sense otherwise. Why fight for the championship if you're already 35 and will have to retire again soon anyway? Why not take a super fight against an equally old legend?

It's because a good opportunity came along: a champion that, in GSP's mind, he KNOWS he can beat. The thought of winning the title for a 3rd time from a younger, hungrier fighter would be Rocky-esque and would make him frontrunner for UFC GOAT now that Anderson and Jones both tarnished their legacies with PEDs. And you know GSP is all about his legacy.

So my theory is that GSP feels confident because of what his teammate and protege Rory Mac did to Woodley, and he thinks he can follow that blueprint with Firas's guidance to solidify his legacy.
34eede6ae4240ea9f60cd115cc61c658c39a10e6dec71a91a8c13504ad85127e.jpg

Funny thing is GSP and Woodley are basically the same age.

Everyone is talking like GSP is gonna crush Woodley. GSP barely scraped by Hendricks and then retired. Everyone says Hendricks sucks and should be cut, but GSP is unbeatable? I'm taking Woodley in this one.

Gsp by 5 -0 wrestlefuck. Great action

GSP is the only prize fighter to win 12 UFC title fights. His legacy has been solidified for years.

Everyone is talking like GSP is gonna crush Woodley. GSP barely scraped by Hendricks and then retired. Everyone says Hendricks sucks and should be cut, but GSP is unbeatable? I'm taking Woodley in this one.

Post USADA Hendricks has been horrible, GSP scraped by against Hendricks while doing advanced testing (which Hendricks refused)

If you can't see a clear difference in Hendricks from when he fought gsp, you probably shouldn't be betting your money on anything.

If you can't see a clear difference in Hendricks from when he fought gsp, you probably shouldn't be betting your money on anything.
I see the obvious difference, but we have't seen post USADA GSP either.

Woodley fought so mega retarded against Rory. He even didn't stand properly.

Woodley is very beatable but he can catch GSP like he did against Robbie. Hes a relatively predictable striker though and GSP is one of the most talented and intelligent fighters ever. I think this is a great opponent for GSP to return against and hopefully he hasn't lost his touch

I think Rory told us a lot with the fight. I don't think GSP had to speak to Rory to get the needed information from Woodley vs Rory, but I think he did also.
I don't think they consider it an "easy fight". More so a problem they can solve and if the problem solving is successful it will be very rewarding.

GSP will smash Woodley like Hulk smashed Loki in Avengers.

GSP is the only prize fighter to win 12 UFC title fights. His legacy has been solidified for years.

What's with the poster? It's not like I can't get that same information from looking at his record. GSP's fans are just as cheesy as he is.

I'm not disputing that GSP is a great fighter and one of the best ever. My point was that GSP wants to be remembered as the MMA GOAT. Anderson and Jones were usually ranked above him because of their finishes before they tested positive. Now GSP sees a window of opportunity to become the undisputed GOAT by winning the title a 3rd time.

If gsp comes back and wins another title fight, years after his championship reign, that's a pretty significant feather in the cap, and expands the range of his dominance greatly.

I'd love to see him try it out. I don't think Georges would try to come out of retirement if he wasn't pretty certain he'd do well.

Back