Rondas takedowns

hitman911

MindJaxd
@Brown
Reaction score
what kind of takedowns does she have? we all know about her throws.

Her "throws" don't count as takedowns?

Trips and throws. Does she need anything else?

i understand all that, but Im talking about a straight takedown. Just wondering because Im sure bethe is gonna try her hardest to not let rhonda grab ahold of her to trip her or throw her. it might not work for bethe, but if it does.

i understand all that, but Im talking about a straight takedown. Just wondering because Im sure bethe is gonna try her hardest to not let rhonda grab ahold of her to trip her or throw her. it might not work for bethe, but if it does.

Both a throw and a double leg involve grabbing your opponent.

I think she hit a double on Miesha in their second fight

Judo didn't ban double leg takedowns until 2008, so Rousey is well versed in 'wrestling' takedowns as well.

She doesn't do it much but here is a kneetap/single leg
168-8.gif

Great, another "throws aren't takedowns" thread

Honestly, I would guess Bethe is better trained at defending wrestling takedowns than judo throws anyway. Ronda's probably going to enjoy better success with judo, even if it were equal to her wrestling and not better.

I don't ever really expect Rousey to have to resort to her "wrestling" skills, but if that day comes, I think it would be against someone that probably has better judo defense than Bethe.

On a sidenote, are submissions (armbars) part of judo or did Ronda pick this up after her judo career ?

Judo didn't ban double leg takedowns until 2008, so Rousey is well versed in 'wrestling' takedowns as well.

She doesn't do it much but here is a kneetap/single leg
168-8.gif

She was aiming for a o-uchi gari which she has used before after first picking up the leg, but Tate keep her standing leg away and it ended up as a "takedown" only...

Last edited:
obviously a throw is a takedown, but Im talking about a double leg or single leg, which is not a throw

not to be too technical, but the double leg takedown is classified as one of the original judo throws, called morote gari.

On a sidenote, are submissions (armbars) part of judo or did Ronda pick this up after her judo career ?

Part of judo.

Not an armbar, but the Kimura submission is named after Masahiko Kimura, a famous judoka that put his judo up against Helio Gracie and his jiu jitsu way back in the day.

She was aiming for a o-uchi gari which she has used before after first picking up the leg, but Tate keep her staning lew away and it ended up as a "takedown" only...

Yup, she didn't dedicate to the ouchi because tate's knee up kept too much distance between their hips. Good one, are you judoka?

Just wondering because Im sure bethe is gonna try her hardest to not let rhonda grab ahold of her to trip her or throw her

I'm also sure Bethe is going to try her hardest for this, but I'm equally sure that it doesn't matter a jot, because Rhonda 100% has the physical strength and the technical armoury to get her down consistently anyway, no matter how hard Bethe tries and how hard she has prepared.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back